Installing new steer tube bearings

Started by Kiwi, March 29, 2010, 10:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

I've been reading through previous posts but am a little confused.
I purchased some tapered bearings recommended here.  I've got the T clamp thing off.  Do i need to remove the bearing race from the bottom?  and is there a certain method to follow?
Also, the bearing cups that are inside the bearing race ( the ones that are inside the frame of the motorcycle), do these need to come out? if so ,how?
That's it for now i think

Thanks
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

ShaneSpring

Hi Kiwi,
I just completed this job on my bike and here is how I did it.
The bearing race in the bottom of the tripple clamps need to come off, this is a matter of flipping it upside down and slowly working it off with some gentle taps around(working around the race so it comes off evenly) the back side of the race. I used some brass rod so as not to damage anything.
The races inside the frame of the bike both need to come out and a gentle tap from the back side of them should get them to move(from the top of the frame for the bottom race and the bottom of the frame for the top race), again I used a bit of brass rod to achieve this working around the race from side to side to get them out evenly.
Then all the surfaces need to be cleaned up, and the new races fitted. The internal races can be left in the freezer overnight to help shrink them a bit to make getting them in a bit easier, then they need to be gentle tapped into place. You need to be very careful not to use the bearing faces to tap on when you are inserting them as this will easily damage them. I used a peice of pipe(or maybe a socket might fit?) that fits the outside edge of the bearing races where the bearing doesn't run and a few gentle taps and seated them.

I'm sure that others can give you more help this is just my method which seemed to work for me.  :)

Lucky

Yes the entire bearing assembly has to come out. 19 balls each & each has an upper & lower race.

use a long drift & work from the opposite side.  inset the drift down thru the top & tap the edge of the lower race out, first one side, then the other till it drops out.

then insert the drift from the bottom & do the same with the top race.  you should be left with a hollow tube head tube frame.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kiwi

So, whats the order of things with my new tapered bearings?
I.e from the bottom, T-clamp thing, tapered bearings, bearing race, frame etc...?

Lucky

what's a 't-clamp"?

be sure to PACK the bearings, not just coat them...

Races go in first, then bearings, seal plates dust cap & lock nuts.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Use a heat gun to expand the races new homes.

Tiger

Quote from: Kiwi on March 29, 2010, 10:47:05 PM
So, whats the order of things with my new tapered bearings?
I.e from the bottom, T-clamp thing, tapered bearings, bearing race, frame etc...?

:) Here are the basics...

The bearings have two different inside diameters, the larger I/D goes on the lower triple tree...(the fatest part of the bearing at the bottom!!)

*T-clamp thing = Lower triple tree ;) The bearing race has to go into the bottom of the frame tube. The other bearing race goes into the top of the frame tube. The easiest way to seat these in to the frame tube is to use a length of threaded rod and the old bearing races...you use them to pull the new races in to place. Once in place and with the bottom bearing fitted on the lower triple tree shaft, offer up the complete triple tree through the frame tube, put the upper bearing on the shaft (fat side up!!), then the old dust cover, one retaining nut...tighten down (carefully!!) and then the second retaining nut to lock the system in place...VOILA!!!

:) Search and you will find more detailed info'...even some pictorial info' from yellowjacket 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Kiwi

One last question.  There is a spacer below the bearing race on the steer tube, does this need to come off?

Night Vision

you mean the bottom grease seal? keep it if you can (ie doesn't get mangled pounding off the bottom race)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kiwi

Got it all back together and all seems well. Except that i mistakenly mis routed the throttle cable and had to un-hook it at the carbs.  I should  of paid more attention.
I'll take it for a test ride this evening.  Thanks for the help

inanecathode

What you'll find is the initial adjustment is good for about 100 miles, then you'll probably have to go back and readjust them. That adjustment should be good for maybe a season, then another adjustment. I've found the bearings have to bed in over time and it gets loose real quick at first. I'm overdue by quite a bit for that second adjustment myself, makes handling pretty interesting :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////