News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Scan of right side case cover gasket?

Started by arthurdent510, March 24, 2010, 03:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurdent510

I was wondering if anyone either has a scan already, or has a spare gasket that they can scan in for the right side case cover?  I have a scan of the left side, but I need to replace the right side...  Here is what I have for the left side:  http://www.public.asu.edu/~dmhurt/vision/gasket.pdf

Thanks!

inanecathode

Didn't use a gasket on mine. Diligent and thorough cleaning and a very thin layer of rtv.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

arthurdent510

Hmm, I've thought about doing that as well...  I've just personally had better luck with actual gaskets.   I'll give that a shot if it comes to it I guess!

ps2/bikevision

im a big fan of yamabond over rtv. very sticky stuff. easier to apply than rtv and doesent take much either. used it to seal my left side and still no leaks after 3 years. also used it on all my autos too.

Re-Vision

Hope you can join these together.    BDC

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Quote from: ps2/bikevision on March 24, 2010, 05:45:36 PM
im a big fan of yamabond over rtv. very sticky stuff. easier to apply than rtv and doesent take much either. used it to seal my left side and still no leaks after 3 years. also used it on all my autos too.

Yamabond is great, i forgot what permatex actually calls it (afaik permatex makes yamabond, motorcraft bond, harley bond etc etc). I trust two milled surfaces with a thin thin layer of sealer over a gasket any day.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Lucky

Everyone has their favorite method & that's fine.  Each method has it's own pluses & minuses, but be vigilant when using RTV only, as extra squeezed out can clog an oil pick up screen. it's happened to two members now that i'm aware of...

Also, in the case of the right side, there is a critical oil seal for the crankshaft that should be replaced.  with this in mind, it may be possable that RTV alone doesn't provide the needed clearance for the crank/seal.  probably not an issue, but worth checking before final assembly....  sometimes tousands or hundreds of an inch make a difference.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

arthurdent510

Thanks Re-vision  ;D  Hopefully it will print out to the right scale...  that's why I had scanned a ruler in with mine, so you can make sure since most printers will stretch and skew things a little bit.

Re-Vision

Mine has some kind of calibration method it uses and when I print it out it is dead on.   BDC

arthurdent510

Ah, good to know :)  I had to convert the scan of mine to pdf and then print it for the scale to be correct.  Thanks again!

Lucky

Ok, can someone explane to me how to scan something into Adobe(?) & have it come out the same size?...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

arthurdent510

just scan it in as a jpg or whatever.... and then convert it to a pdf.  When you print it out, and sure in the print options that you have scaling turned off.  Pdf's will print more accurately then jpg's

arthurdent510

Hmm, is there any chance you could rescan it with a ruler for a scale?  I can't get it to print out right...

Re-Vision

Sent jpg and pdf files to your G-mail address.   BDC