Bike wont start

Started by jmacmoyle, March 31, 2010, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacmoyle

I have a 82 Vision. It was runnning like a champ up until Septemer. I started it, and it was running rather cold. After sputtering and uneasy riding for a mile, it stalled out, and i have been unable to start it. The starter is cranking, it has spark, but I dont know where else to look. I'm not good with Carbs (or bikes for that matter) and I really dont know where to go from here. It was running perfect the day before. I dont know what could have made such a dramatic change.  HELP!

vadasz1

Do you have an inline filter installed after the petcock?  If not DO SO RIGHT AWAY.  Also make sure your air filter is clean or clean enough.  Make sure that the CHOKE wasn't left on when you rode that mile.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

jmacmoyle

you mean the filter attached to the gas shut off valve on the tank? Yea, it has one. I changed the gas a month ago too, so it cant be bad gas. Is it possible it could be the vacuum lines? And That whole YICS system, I know absolutely nothing about.

vadasz1

You can take off your YICS and then place it on a bowl of water as you blow on each hose individually.  Bubbles means it is shot.  You can plug the ports on the block side as some ROVers ride with no YICS.

Mine was shot as well.  It leaked like a seive when I blew on it and I could hear it too.  Luckily I had a spare and it is ok.  I think it starts much easier on mine tho.

Make sure you have no kinked fuel lines and all your vacuum lines don't leak as well.

Also try running your petcock on PRIME to see if it isn't the problem, because you could have a bad petcock as well wehn trying to run on the vacuum of the engine.

I'm sure others will chime in as well.

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

jmacmoyle

My bike doesnt have that YICS box on it. The hoses just come off the cylinders and are sealed. If the seals were letting air in would that be my problem. (For the record, we're talking about that upside down triangle right, i'm really, really bad with bikes)

QBS

Where are you located?  Perhaps there is another ROVer close by that could lend you a technical hand.

jmacmoyle

Night Vision

check if the carbs are getting gas....

turn the petcock to prime.... wait 'bout 5 minutes...

unscrew the drain screws (one at a time) and see if she piddles on the floor
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

fret not

3 main things necessary for combustion: spark (which you said you have), compression (which you probably have if it was running), and fuel, which seems to be your problem. 

The PRI (prime) position on your petcock lets the fuel go directly to the carbs, any other position requires vacuum to allow fuel out of the petcock.  I suspect a vacuum leak in one of the lines.  I would look for a split in the end of a vacuum line, check them all.  Did you fiddle with anything just before it quit running?  If you did I would look there first.

Don't worry about "not being good with bikes", you are getting experience as the hours roll on.  Experience is something you get right after you need it.  And good judgment comes from bad judgment.  Just embrace this event as educational experience. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

jmacmoyle

I suspect a vacuum leak in one of the lines.  I would look for a split in the end of a vacuum line, check them all. 

Where are the vacuum lines? what color are they? what should they be connected to? pictures?

Tiger

Quote from: jmacmoyle on March 31, 2010, 04:44:45 PM
I have a 82 Vision. It was running like a champ up until September.

:) Back to basics.....So you put her away for the winter... ??? Did you do ANYTHING to her before the hibernation period... ??? e.g...

1 x Add fuel stabiliser and fresh gas to the gas tank and then run her for a few minutes... ???

2 x Drain the carbs of gas... ??

3 x ?????????????????

or, did you just park her up and leave her... ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jmacmoyle

I last rode it in september, because that is when it stopped starting. I have drained the gas tank and put new gas in it, but did not drain the carb. I'll try that asap.

But can it be the float in the carb? or some other carb problem? I just find it super weird that one day its running like a japanese bike, and the next day its runs like crap and stalls out.

vadasz1

I think I see a carb cleaning and a thorough one at that in youe very,very,very near future.

You can do it this weekend.  ;)

Tiger

:) I think your Vision is in need of a complete carb clean mate...Git er done!!!

8).......TIGER...... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jmacmoyle

so, if i take the carb off....what do i do with it next? just get some carb cleaner and make sure its not all gunked up?

vadasz1

Youwill have to take them completely apart (individually) and soak them in Berryman's carb cleaner for about 20-30 minutes at a time, and then blow all the passages clean with compressed air.  Repeat as many times as necessary until all the passages are TOTALY clean.  Use small strands of copper wire to clean the ultra small passages.  Make sure not to break anything or it will be a bitch to fix it.

Once everything is clean & reassembled, don't forget to resynch the carbs.

I guess Cndlou, Lucky, or RickG can chime in with some more details if I forgot some.

Lucky

honestly, I think you need a mentor... where are you located?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

seabee

***1982 Yamaha XZ 550 Vision***

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

seabee

LOL...yeah they got some good lemonade!
***1982 Yamaha XZ 550 Vision***