where to buy flywheel puller?

Started by wigglesrewind, April 16, 2010, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wigglesrewind

hey guys my semester is over in a couple weeks and ill have some extra time on my hands so i figure id better do some work to this bike so i can actually do some riding this season. i wanna check the starter clutch and make sure everything is tight in there because it sounds like the bike has a knock at idle and it goes away under acceleration. i was wondering where you guys are getting your pullers from and what type it is? do i need a yamaha specific or motorcycle specific puller or can i just go get one from autozone? i thought i read something on here about using the wrong kind of puller can damage something and with how expensive parts are for these bikes id rather not ruin anything. if anyone could chime in and let me know id really appreciate it. thanks in advance!
my first bike: 82' xz550 10k miles

fret not

In Lucky's CD he recommends the puller from Sears for about $20.  I got a similar one from Harbor Fright for a bit less.  It is the configuration that allows you to use 2 bolts like a steering wheel puller, or 3.  You need the capability to use 3 bolts 120 degrees apart.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Tiger

:) An harmonic puller is recommended...however, I use the three jaw puller (  :o ) with absolutely no problems. You can get these pullers at most auto/tool stores...Auto Zone, Harbour Freight, Sears, etc... 8)

WARNING!!!...When you go to remove the flywheel, stand to the side as it does fly off and will cause you pain if it hits you :o Put an old bath towel/blanket on the floor to catch the flywheel and the three rollers/springs/caps!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Kiwi

i rented one for free from O'rielys auto parts, i think Autozone has the same deal

They took a ~$30 deposit, fully refundable.
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

jasonm.

MAKE sure you use quality bolts when threading into the flywheel. My sears puller bolts were junk.  If they don't have a "grade marking" on the heads...they will break...eventually
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

wigglesrewind

alright so i can just run over to the local auto parts store and rent one then....i was worried that it was a special type of puller i would need. thanks guys. cant wait to get out on the road with this thing!
my first bike: 82' xz550 10k miles

jasonm.

FYI, make sure the puller PUSHES on the crankshaft. The pullers often have a LARGE "pusher". I had to grind mine down to fit w/o washers. So a rental may require washers placed in the crankshaft center.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

QBS

BTW if you aquire handlebar risers from an '83, your handlebars will fit your '83 fairing much better.  Also, a single lip seal design will work very well in the starter motor application.  The single lip seal in my '83 has been trouble free since '84 and for 78k miles.

fret not

The puller I got at Harbor Fright comes with grade 5 bolts in various sizes, both SAE and metric.  Most are in sets of 3 but the ones that fit the vision are only 2 so I had to go buy another one and some more washers to use as spacers.  It comes with 3 different tips for the main bolt that pushes against the crank shaft, and onne is just the right size to fit just inside the recess in the flywheel.  It comes with a smaller one and a concave tip also.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!