News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

#19 on the up!!!

Started by Tiger, April 26, 2010, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I was talking to kev10104 the other week and he told me his daughters boyfriend was looking for a cheap bike for the summer...but wasn't having much luck. He had about $600.00 burning a hole in his pocket ::) Hmmmmmmmm...

After a couple of days I phoned Kevin and told him to take the boys money and we would build him a Vision from all the spare parts we have...3 frames with ownerships, 6 motors, wheels, seats, lights, etc...you get the picture, I'm sure.

Soooooooooooo, #19 is on the up!!! Over the last few days I've managed to get done a fair amount:

Rear swing arm/drive unit cleaned and painted.
Rear drive oil drained and refilled with fresh oil.
Two Bridgestone tires mounted on rims & the rear wheel installed on the Vision.
Rear brakes installed and set up.
Rear brake bar installed with new hardware.
MAC system sand blasted, (last week)... painted and installed.
Rad' & overflow bottle mounted and filled with fresh coolant.
New positive & Negative cables made and installed. 
R/R bracket made and R/R fitted and wired in.
Replaced the stator.
New plugs/wires/caps installed.
Aluminum plates bead blasted, clear coated and installed.
Front & rear footpegs installed.
Gear shift and rear brake pedal installed.
Side stand sand blasted, painted and installed.
Rear indicators installed (with short stalks).
Seat & under seat side plastics fitted.
T.C.I. unit fitted and wired in.
Complete front end stripped out.
Forks stripped, cleaned and rebuilt using new seals and oil.

I'll have to take the battery back that I got from WallMart Stateside on Saturday as its the wrong one!!! Right box but wrong battery inside!!!...BUGGER!!!! Another trip across the river... ::)
Kevin is sorting the steering head bearings so I can get the front end rebuilt.
Canadian_Lou should have the carbs ready this week sometime... ;)

I'm hoping to have this Resurrection up and running by the coming weekend...or the next at the latest 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

I nominate Tiger for Vision Person of the Year.

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

lexx790

Tigers done more in a weekend than I've been taking the last 10 months to do  :-[

Tiger

;D Thanks guy's.

I say its a hobby...my wife says its an obsession :o Either way, I enjoy putting these old girls back on the road for someone to enjoy, once again.

A Vision (or two) will always find a home here...its like a dog pound/sanctuary...but for Vision's...LOL  8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Cdnlouie

Carbs are done!  ;D ;D You're at your limit for the year now! 2 sets per season...so chill out...I'm going riding!

Tiger

Quote from: Cdnlouie on April 27, 2010, 04:51:12 PM
Carbs are done! 

:) Superb, I'll drop by tomorrow buddy... 8) I still require one more set for the year though... ;)

Cdnlouie

Call me as I need to talk with you first. I'm not around in the AM.

kev10104

Tiger

8) HOOOOOOOOOOYA BABY, SHE'S ALIVE, ALIVE I TELL YOU 8) 8) 8)               
Got her finished up and ready for the road safety cert' last night... 8)

Carb boots were removed, cleaned with brake and parts cleaner, dried off and 'painted' with liquid electrical tape...reinstalled with stainless steel soc' head cap screws...and a freshly cleaned set of carbs from Canadian_Lou (thank you). Updated air box and filter were installed as well as the gas tank. All the vacuum lines and gas lines were replaced with brand new and an in-line filter fitted.

The front end was all put back together with new taper head bearings and rebuilt forks carring the load. The top triple tree and handle bar risers had been beadblasted and then I clear coated them for a change. The headlight bracket was sandblasted and repainted gloss black. Another headlight bucket replaced the cracked one and the front signal indicators fitted, using short rubber stalks, (recycled, machined down OEM ones!!!).

The front brake caliper was cleaned, serviced, lubed and reinstalled as was the master cylinder...bled off and working fine.

Today...I installed a new oil filter and fresh engine oil. Rigged up a pony tank (coolant overflow bottle!!) with fresh gas added...attached a set of booster cables and after a wee bit of hicking and farting she burst in to life...YIIIIPEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I have no idea how long it is since this engine ran last. The oil that came out was skanky to say the least and the filter was shot...and once she started up she just poured smoke/steam/whatever out of those nicely repainted MAC's. After a while she settled down but boy (cough, cough) the garage needed aired out big time!!!

I just need to make a few wee adjustments to her tonight and she will be off to her new home, via kev10104 and the garage for a safety tomorrow... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

funkamongus

YAY!!!! Another is re-born!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

QBS

Just out of curiosity, it would be most enlightening to know the compression numbers.  Maybe the new owner would be willing to kick in a little extra $ to cover such data aquistion services.  But, then again,
be carefull what you ask for.  Ignorance can be blissful.  However, sometimes after one has become educated they wish they were not.

kev10104

I told him the bike was ready and he is so excited.Thanks buddy.

Tiger

Quote from: kev10104 on April 29, 2010, 08:22:00 PM
I told him the bike was ready and he is so excited.Thanks buddy.

Hahahahaha, he should be...its the quickest I've put a Vision together...less than two weeks to complete :o 8)

With this one and Wolfs "Flyin' Banana" thats two more over and above the original "winter to do list"...I think thats it until the fall comes around... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

vadasz1

Don't forget about the tank I still have for one of those projects waiting in the back yard.....;)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Cdnlouie

A new record!  :o  Once she is run in a bit try and get her down for a carb snyc. I like to hear the sweet "thump, thump" of a smooth Vision motor...that's my reward  ;).  I love the surprised look on the owner's face when you really dial it in.  It's truly a resurrection experience.

....but I'm warning ya  >:(...I don't want to see another set of carbs any time soon!  Go ride your bike!  That's a total of 4 this season...two for you and two for your other children, so start thinking about the support payments  ::).

Cheers my friend...and congratulations to the "Kev" family that continues to grow out east!  Is this one kind of like a dowry.... ;D? Let me know how things work out as we could do a "Vision" wedding procession.  That would be a new one for me...

Life is good when both cylinders work together....!

Tiger

Quote from: vadasz1 on April 30, 2010, 08:53:52 AM
Don't forget about the tank I still have for one of those projects waiting in the back yard.....;)
I haven't forgotten it, just a lack of time mate!!! I'll drop by next week sometime... ;)

Tiger

:) Thanks to Canadian_Lou, another Vision roars back in to life...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrowl baby, growl...and she passed her road safety certificate first time around... 8)

Now the young fella just has to get her insured, licence plate/sticker and go ride the old girl silly :o ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

vadasz1

Come by on Friday as then I'll be back from Tiajuana.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

Quote from: vadasz1 on April 30, 2010, 09:07:56 PM
Come by on Friday as then I'll be back from Tiajuana.

:o You still doin' the drug run for the cartel... :o