News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

something different ,from me anyway

Started by kiawrench, April 27, 2010, 07:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

carbon fiber -- the look of it says "modern,updated and high tech"

xz550 vision - the look says the same thing, even today .

we can now affordably combine the two items and get something really special.
i was searching internet for custom grafix, found site  for 3m carbon fiber vinyl auto wrap.watched the videos,  checked on pricing ,sent for a sample , and then found out local shop here sells it ,and others do too, regardless of website claim.

oem grade auto vinyl wrap, (not bumper sticker scraps) that is conformable to all motorcycle surface shapes , easy to apply, forgiving and heat bonded . cheaper than  a full repaint ,and a carbon fiber finish that really looks like carbon fiber!  
no, i am not getting bird dog on this stuff, just surprised me in actual look and ease of use .

i covered 1986 fazer, all body work, tank and tail ,, even front fender for just under 145.00 , and all i needed for tools was a squeegee and my wife's old hair drier. now that it is done, i took last bit of scrap, and recovered exterior of my "jockey" style hell raising helmet, to get matching pair. am posting web site, you can look and decide ,, maybe it will work on some project floating here in forum .

http://www.decalfx.com/carbon_fiber_sheets.html
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

RedRocket

kiawrench

no pictures taken yet, bear with me ,i was trying to let others know the stuff is out in market now , no matter who you get it from . i am not trying to get anyone to wrap a vision,, but a few members have cars they are working on too, and the site shows them wrapping a dash ,a console , fairing from cbr900 and a few other things , like door handles ,remote control, nintendo Wii.
i may have jumped the gun, as i didnt really test it on anything first, so i wrapped a beater bike with dented parts ,and a lot of broken plastic stuff . if it stays on the fazer, and performs as advertised, i will post new data ,along with pix of my 82 project v in a how to type posting with links to you tube video of the install (i have someone willing to video it ,so we can all see )

if it peels,. rips or otherwise fails to work as advertised, bet your last relative ,i will return it to the selling dealer . after all, they made the warranty, i love making them honor it .(usually a bill for removal,clean up and repairs as needed )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

inanecathode

Soooo, a picture of carbon fiber on a sticker?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kiawrench

inane-- think of 70s, early 80s station wagon with those huge wood grain side panels,, this is similar, but upgraded a bit .
the 3m product is made to look,reflect light and feel like real carbon fiber sheeting, but in an easy to apply format. i would guess it to be 3 to 4 times as thick as a bumper sticker, so it should last quite a while.
the adhesive used is pre applied, will allow an installer a decent working time , but it sets like epoxy once heated and cooled.

there are 8 or 9 different offerings right now ,green, red ,blue ,titanium, basic black ,and each of those is also available in super gloss finish

i used bing search, 3m carbon fiber auto wrap ,, and there are several excellent videos of this stuff being used . the gsx600 fairing is covered so well it looks like a true CF part.
it isnt as cheap as spray paint and sandpaper, but it is cheaper than paying to repaint the bike year after year, , or having a paint shop do it .

Rube

That's some really interesting stuff. I am planning on doing a bit of a more modern, sport bike type, paint job on my 82 and I wanted to incorporate a few carbon fiber touches hear and there. All I have ever seen was the sticker crap that only good for flat surfaces. I mean come on, what the heck is flat on a bike?

Thanks for the info kiawrench!!!
82 Vision (Under Construction)

YellowJacket!

I got some of that, or at least similar on ebay and put it on my silver laptop lid.  Now I have a "carbon fiber" laptop.  Looks more like and Ailienware laptop now than a Gateway.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)