Replace both oil and dust seals on forks?

Started by VK, May 08, 2010, 01:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

I have fork oil leaking so looks like I need to at least replace fork oil seals.  Is it advisable to replace the dust seals at the same time?  Don't know how to tell if the dust seal is bad.  (These are all original parts.) 

h2olawyer

Last dust seals I got were something like $12.  Not too expensive - even at 2x that price.  Since they're originals, I'd say just go ahead and replace them.  No sense in going through the trouble of replacing the oil seals, then using the old dust seals & get a bunch of grit in there to preaturely wear them.  While fork seal replacement isn't difficult, it is time consuming and not one of my more favorite maintenance jobs.

Just my $0,02

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Armored_Hearse

Since you have to remove the dust seals to get to the fork seals, I would just swap them out with new ones. Besides, you might damage one of those original dust seals getting it out. I know I did. ;)  --  John

VK

Thanks for all of the helpful replies!  I will go ahead and replace the dust seals along with the oil seals and plan to go with the Pyramid set to which Tiger gave a link.  Although I've had no problems with the original steering head bearings (20k miles now), I've read so many good things about roller head bearings, it seems that I may as well replace with a set of those at this time as well.  I see Pyramid makes a set of those for the Vision and plan to go with them.

Thanks again.  Vk

Tiger

:) I get fork seals, dust covers, steering head taper bearings, front and rear wheel bearings and front brake pads all from the same guys that I gave you the link for...never had any problems with the products or the people... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!