News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Starter Clutch Bolts

Started by Rikugun, May 02, 2010, 06:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

Since I'm replacing the stator, I decided to also check out the starter clutch. I've only had the bike running on the bench but didn't notice any unusaul noises that would indicate the starter clutch was loose. It appears that the bolts have been staked to keep them from backing out. Is this a factory remedy or has someone been in there before?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

I think you are looking at the factory setup. You will need to replace the bolts with longer ones, use red loctite and peen the crap out of them. I have not done this yet but there are photos on here, somewhere.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

:) The problem was/is these soc head cap screws work loose over a period :o :o sooooo, Yamaha came up with this "fix". However, don't think that this did fix the problem every time, it doesn't!!!

#19, that I have just finished, was standing with the side cover off and ready for a stator install...I hesitated a second and then thought "uh uh" ... I popped the flywheel off and these three screws had backed out about 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn!!!...and yes they were staked/peened over as per your picture.

You are that far in, so, remove the flywheel, remove and disguard the three screws...rebuild with new screws and RED loctite/thread locker and then stake them!!!

While you have the flywheel off, you will see a 46mm thin nut on the shaft...it has a twin lock tab washer that will have one tab bent over :o ::) This nut does come loose about 1/16" - 1/8" ... bend back the lock washer, jam a rag in the gears and torque that nut down, bend down the two lock tabs and reinstall your flywheel, side cover, etc...IF you do not do this NOW you will have to do it some day..."Pay me now, or pay me later" :o ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
BTW...I do this "fix" to every Vision when the left side cover comes off...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Oz Vision

Thanks Tiger for that sobering piece of news. Mine look the same as in that pic so I thought the job had been done. Now I will do them when the new stator goes on next week.
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

QBS

The staked bolt shown in Riks' picture is the OEM set up.  The proper repair is to "peen" the bolts.  The appearance would look like a small steel mushroom.  This is because the permanent repair calls for replacing the OEM bolts with bolts that extend two to three threads beyond the surface of the rotor/flywheel and are then hammered/"peened"down to the surface of the flywheel, thus making it impossible for them to back out.

Should the bolts ever need to be removed, their peened ends are ground off flush with the rotor surface.

Rikugun

Thanks for the good advice guys. I'm going to try to get to it this week since the gasket has arrived.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jimustanguitar

I'll be doing this later tonight (and tomorrow if needed). I'm without a manual however, could anyone share the proper torques with me? I'm happy with "tight as hell" on the clutch bolts, but I don't want to get it wrong on the crank-shaft threads...

The torque sequence is "one at a time", right?  :)

The Prophet of Doom

Jims, You will find a manual in this thread - it's for the 11U but should be good for your purposes
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12221.msg111223#msg111223

Or PM lucky to get a DVD with a whole bunch more including the US model RJ and the RK supplement, Haynes etc

Jimustanguitar

That's an awesome resource, Roro. That thread should be a sticky at the top of the list!

Rick G

Tight as hell might be too much . Try between 2 and 3 white knuckles.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on July 03, 2012, 07:27:25 PM
That's an awesome resource, Roro. That thread should be a sticky at the top of the list!
No worries - I'll happily scan or host resources sent to me and add to the list.  There's a ton of work scanning these but I (and some others) think there is a certain community responsibility in sharing these resources.  The 3 language manual was paid for by Ozvision and sent to me (internationally) for scanning, most of the others I have bought myself as they turn up on local auction sites or ebay, or got free from the XZ550.de (German RoV) Technik disk.

Just added links for a few more resources that I found out on the interweb. 

zore

I'm going thru the same thing at the moment.  When these things go, it can do some weird things.  I honestly never heard any noise but the rear wheel locked up twice in hard turns and I heard the starter spool up.  it did always start however.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Rick G

That's a worst case scenario. Mine occurred when I stopped to view the scenery. The starter just whirred , with out catching, I did a run and bump start , something I hadn't done in nearly 40 years, successfully!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

zore

If you got it apart, do the bolts.  My stockers were peened as well and still came loose.  120 bucks for a new starter clutch if it's hosed.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900