News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

fuel guage???

Started by Hartless, May 02, 2010, 02:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

ran out of gas today. anyone have any ideas for gas guage?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Tiger

Quote from: Hartless on May 02, 2010, 02:51:03 AM
... anyone have any ideas for gas gauge?

:) Surrrre, you just need to find an '83 gas tank which comes with a sender unit, '83 gauge cluster that has the fuel gauge under the temp' unit and an '83 wire harness.......VOILA!!!

BTW...did you run out all together or just switch over to 'reserve'...Either way, you now know have far you can go on a tank of gas  ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

1  Fill tank with gas.   2  Set trip meter to zero.   3  Use petcock reserve function as needed.   4  When trip meter reads 160 miles refill tank.  You should be able to get approx. 200 miles out of a tank before walking.

The '83 fuel gauge is a nice feature (I have one), but is absolutely not critical.

YellowJacket!

I use a mini LED flashlight on my keychain.  Whenever I get close to 200 miles, I pull over and shine the light in my tank.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Drill and tap in an  1/8" hose nipple to the top of the tank somewhere. Put an inline T with the fuel outlet on the petcock, put a piece of clear hose between the two. Fill the tank by gallons and mark the hose where the fuel ends up.
Fuel gauge.

Or, fly to thailand and have most your organs removed and pawned then just *try* to find an 83 kit to get the fuel gauge thats on the 83. Petcock, gauge set, fuel tank, sender.

Personal note i have neeever gotten 200 without walking. The most i ever got with some pretty extreme effort was 180. I figure at 100 miles start thinking about gassing up somewhere, if you're on reserve and on a road trip you better be going towards a gas station.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Walt_M.

Uh, considering the inaccuracy of the '83 gauge, it may not be worth toenail clippings. I made mine better but it isn't worth the trouble unless you just want one.
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on May 02, 2010, 05:45:18 PM
Drill and tap in an  1/8" hose nipple to the top of the tank somewhere. Put an inline T with the fuel outlet on the petcock, put a piece of clear hose between the two. Fill the tank by gallons and mark the hose where the fuel ends up.
Fuel gauge.

Or, fly to thailand and have most your organs removed and pawned then just *try* to find an 83 kit to get the fuel gauge thats on the 83. Petcock, gauge set, fuel tank, sender.

Personal note i have neeever gotten 200 without walking. The most i ever got with some pretty extreme effort was 180. I figure at 100 miles start thinking about gassing up somewhere, if you're on reserve and on a road trip you better be going towards a gas station.

And to think, I actually threw one away.  Hey, I was a noob.  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Quote from: Walt_M. on May 02, 2010, 06:38:16 PM
Uh, considering the inaccuracy of the '83 gauge, it may not be worth toenail clippings. I made mine better but it isn't worth the trouble unless you just want one.

I installed a resistor between the green wire & ground on the sender pigtail.  now I hit reserve just as the needle hits the red mark.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Hartless

yea i didnt fill the tank , i just had some gas in there to get it running lol. went a few blocks and had to walk. makes ya feel real dumb walking a motorcycle. haha had some little kid say," mommy! look , that mans walking his motorcycle!"

thanks for the info though!
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

lexx790

What are the pitfalls of running the bike permanently on reserve.
I ran my GS500 for 6 years on reserve and filled it at 150 miles on the trip counter.
Never pushed my old bike once.  ;D

QBS

Lexx running on exclusively on reserve will cause no problems with the bike.  It just forces the operator to use the the trip meter as a fuel guage.  If the operator looses track of the tank milage he/she could switch to main tank and wait for reserve to show up.