News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Chain Chatter anyone??

Started by JaBey, March 30, 2004, 07:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaBey

Well after 3 weeks of dealer goofups, we got the missing washer and got my buddies flywheel assembly back together. BUT...the damn thing is still banging in the engine. I thought initially that it was a timing chain, but numerous inspection with a stethiscope could not pin point this. We went with the flywheel bolts by default and viola...they just happened to be partially backed out of their holes. That's fixed, the noise remains. Though I still cannot find the point of contact, I believe the noise is coming from the rear cylinder timing chain. The tensioner looked good and worked...but for sh*ts and giggles, I replaced it anyway to no avail. I feel I am left with only 3 possibilities.
1) Someone over the last 22 years took the head off and didn't replace the rear chain guide rub rail.
2) The chain is stretched. This one I doubt extremely as the adjuster only extends about 4 clicks and the bike has very few miles on it.
3) I'm completely looking and diagnosising the wrong area, and there is something else making the noise. Though it distinctly has the unrythmic slap of a sloppy chain.

Have any of you Vision MENSA members out there faced anything similiar? Or at least have a direction to send me other than the extremely unlikely scenarios above?....well except for #3:P

pat sullivan

I as well as some others here have had a similar problem.  It turned out to be gear that drives the balancer shafts can loosen up on its shaft.  In my case I was able to correct the situation by replacing the key and tightening the nut holding the gear very tightly.  Could also be the balancer driven gears.  But don't know of anyone that reported that.

Pat S.

Lucky

Both the drive gear and the driven gear were loose on mine. you may have to turn the crank some to actually find them loose.

unfortunatly you now have to pull the balancer back off.

I forget what size nut they are, but they are large, (22mm?) locktite them, tighten them up as much as you can, and bend over both lock tabs on each nut.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black