News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Sliders of Vision - crash report

Started by VisionSeattle, May 28, 2010, 12:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionSeattle

If there was not one already, I'm starting a subset group to ROV called Sliders of Vision.  Just kidding. 

While test riding my beloved Vision Today, I rounded a corner and went down.  Yesterday I was shopping for new tires, knowing the set I have are old and hard.  Prior to the corner, I thought I had scrubbed my speed within reason given I was riding on hockey pucks!  Bike used to be show quality, now it's going to take a bit of cosmetic repair to restore it.  Scraped my upper fairing only, had the lowers off since I had been tweaking the carbs.  Road rash on exaust tip, oil cover, water pump housing, front turn signal, brake lever tip and mirror.  I may have a cracked rib in addition to some bruises to hip and elbow, otherwise thankful my armored riding gear protected me from road rash. 

kwells

Sorry to hear it man....any pics of the carnage?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

VisionSeattle

I took a lot of pics of the carnage.  Whats the best method these days to post them, photo bucket or?

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

Yup, that looks familiar.  I think I might have been moving a little slower when I slid, but the damage is almost exactly the same.  Although I had to replace my oil filter cover because it had been penetrated.  I fixed all of the mechanical portions, but I haven't fixed the cosmetic yet.  I'm pondering how I want to paint it.  Part of me leans toward the same color-scheme (it's an 83)... 

Brian

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

That is why I barely ride my red bike.  Hurts to look at.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

:o BUGGER!!!...I had the same sort of damage to my upper fairing from the spill on Good Friday just gone...and we both had perfect fairings!!!! Had to change out the right side signal indicator as it snapped off too... ::) The rear mounted hard bags and upper fairing saved "The Mistress" from any serious damage to the motor area ::)

Glad to know that YOU have no serious damage buddy...All the gear, all the time ;)

I have a spare foot brake if you want it... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

VisionSeattle

Quote from: Tiger on May 28, 2010, 06:46:55 PM
:o BUGGER!!!...I had the same sort of damage to my upper fairing from the spill on Good Friday just gone...and we both had perfect fairings!!!! Had to change out the right side signal indicator as it snapped off too... ::) The rear mounted hard bags and upper fairing saved "The Mistress" from any serious damage to the motor area ::)

Glad to know that YOU have no serious damage buddy...All the gear, all the time ;)

I have a spare foot brake if you want it... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Glad to know I'm not alone in this situation.  New tires should arrive within a week; Until those are mounted I don't plan to ride it much now that I REALLY don't trust the old tires on the bike.  My crash was the "perfect storm", with bad tires going downhill on a 45MPH and scrubbing speed to probably 15MPH and turning hard right.  Even at that low speed the angle of the road surface was such that my tires were riding way up on the sides where traction was at it's worst.  IF I had been going UP that same hill (instead of down) and turning LEFT (instead of right) the sweep would have been wider and most importantly the bank would have been to my advantage.  That's my story, I'm sticking to it.  ;) 

VisionSeattle

Quote from: Brian Moffet on May 28, 2010, 03:10:05 PM
Yup, that looks familiar.  I think I might have been moving a little slower when I slid, but the damage is almost exactly the same.  Although I had to replace my oil filter cover because it had been penetrated.  I fixed all of the mechanical portions, but I haven't fixed the cosmetic yet.  I'm pondering how I want to paint it.  Part of me leans toward the same color-scheme (it's an 83)... 

Brian

I would lean toward keeping it completely stock, including color.  Good luck with the cosmetic fix.