News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Fork lower polishing.............

Started by vadasz1, June 10, 2010, 12:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

So I have to change my fork seals as they are leaking already.  Got a second set of forks to replace my  set with.  Been working on one fork for a couple of hours now.

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Raj1988

Nice... Have you thought abt painting them black. i have a feeling it may look pretty good with your blue
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

vadasz1

Not unless I paint the whole engine black. 

I am leaning towards polishing the whole engine as well.  Then it's a matter of just applying a little wax every year to the unheated parts and a simple polishing of the engine with NEVER DULL every year.  It should look real slick then.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

Actually, I use paint stripper and a nylon pot scrubber, to get the black paint or clear coat off, while the components are still on the bike. I use a synthetic sheep's wool buffing pad on an electric drill and lots of Mothers. Its a simple matter to go over the parts once a year with mothers on a rag , to bring back the shine.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

funkamongus

I did same as Rick, only I did the labor intensive way of sanding off the clear coat and sanding lighter and lighter to a shine. Took LOTS of work. Mothers is great!! 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!