News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Clunk

Started by cvincer, June 11, 2010, 03:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

Hi from Perth West Australia, where XZ's are almost as rare as hen's teeth.  Mine is an '82 RJ with 64,000kms on the clock, and over the last 7yrs in my ownership has only had the starter clutch & starter repaired + 1 carb acid bathed & 1 new fork oil seal (about A$120) ..... so well satisfied.

My only unsolved problem is a clunk as I brake/go over a bump/even just put it in gear & push it forwards to make the forks compress.
It's not the steering head bearings (says me, 2 bike shops, & a BMW m/cycle mechanic who also owns an XZ). I've changed the fork oil, tried heavier & lighter grades + slightly too much & slightly too little oil.  I've stripped the forks & can't find evidence of 2 surfaces hitting each other, put in different springs & spacers from the spare bike & tried the spare brake calipers .....all no good, it still clunks.
Anyone got a suggestion??  (Note:- in Oz the bikes DO NOT have air forks. I have spacers of both 3&5/16 inch also 5&1/32inch.)

1 more question please.  Whats the advantage of running without the YICS system?

XZ's Forever

h2olawyer

Welcome!  Glad I can read upside down.  ;)

The vision forks tend to have an inherent clunk.  Mine do it when hitting any abrupt bump at lower speeds.  I've changed the fork oil several times and replaced the seals a couple times.  Also changed to tapered roller steering bearings.  I've never been able to find the source, either.  It is a common - perhaps universal noise.  It tends to vary a bit in sensitivity from bike to bike, but they all seem to do it at least a little bit.

The primary advantage of running without the YICS is you don't have to worry about it developing a leak.  They all eventually will.  I find mine runs just a little smoother with the YICS, but it is merely a seat of the pants feel.  I don't really detect any loss or gain in performance or fuel mileage running either way.  There is a way to repair a leaky YICS.  I did mine about 12,000 miles ago and it is still working well (knocking sharply on wood).

Have fun (down) and out there on your XZ!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the ROV family mate... 8)

As h2o mentioned, the 'clunk' is inherent that most of us 'forget' its there :o ::)

To YIC's or not to YIC's, that is the question...one that has been (and will continue) to be asked. Some love them, some love to hate that wee box. I prefer without and have plugged off the two ports. My Vision has no problems starting, running, etc...Your choice :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)         
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

funkamongus

Only diff it makes is where your idle setting is. Seems to idle higher with yics, or was it lower? it was noticeable whichever one it was. Thats my humble uninformed opinion!! Yeah, I think it was higher...
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

cvincer

Thanks for the replies.   You'll notice I've got spacers (for my non-air forks) in different lengths ........know anywhere I can get the official correct length?   Are their any other fork legs from other bikes that fit an XZ + will take the brake calipers?

Tip:- Before the first start of the day, I put it in 2nd, pull the clutch in, & push it out of the garage ....back into neutral & press the button.  That 'push' is hard for 5 or 6 feet (occasionally the engine turns over once), then it's no problem.  If I had not pushed it, the battery would have had to do that work & it would have been harder to fire up.  It's a 1 touch of the button after that 1st push.  Every other start of the day just turn on & press the button, no push.

Tiger

Quote from: cvincer on June 13, 2010, 02:59:23 AM
You'll notice I've got spacers (for my non-air forks) in different lengths ........know anywhere I can get the official correct length?   

Are their any other fork legs from other bikes that fit an XZ + will take the brake calipers?

:) Correct spacer length...

1982 (no air).......3 1/8" long

1983 (with air caps).......2 3/8" long

An alternative to the oem ones, would be ABS pipe from your local hardware store. You can increase the length slightly to increase spring pressure and reduce 'nose dive' on severe braking.

You can get better braking and handling from a Vision without major surgery...Install a Stainless Steel brake line set up and dump the old worn out oem one and install a fork brace. They will both help with great effect 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!