Looking for a backrest/luggage rack.

Started by GA_Wolf, March 08, 2004, 12:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GA_Wolf

Lucky, didn't I see somewhere that you have a backrest on your bike?  Is it a Yamaha accessory or aftermarket?  If anyone can give me make and model info for either a backrest/luggage rack combo or at least a backrest, it would be greatly appreciated.  You used to be able to get a universal set up years ago, but don't see anything like that lately.

Lucky

Mine are after market, I have different ones on both bikes, there are no identifying labels on them though, sorry.

there have been a few different designs i've seen.  

I do have a set I bought on Ebay a few years ago, that I cleaned up some. I believe they were for a kawasaki, but i'm not sure. i'll sell them to you for a good price, but your going to have to fabricate some type of "U" shaped mounting brackets. I think $50 would be fine plus shipping.
email me if you want 'em

You can kind of see the rack/rest on the pics of my bike on my site or on the gallery, above. They're mostly covered by my tank bag and cover bag though...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

hey wolfie,  
  The rack/rest combo you see on some of the gallery pics, ie yamaha slider sets are more rare than totally stock bikes .

i saw the set ups a few of the founders of the forum have , ron g.,Lucky  and others . I downloaded the pics of the bikes they ride, the enlarged them enough to get a good idea of what i would need.

the rack from a honda cb-750 will fit on a vision, but you will need four 1/2 inch spacers ,8 flat fender washers, and 4 nut bolt sets, grade 8,1/4 inch by 2 1/2 inches .

the back rest can be made up at any area machine shop,,
 you will need a 4 ft section of steel pipe, 3/4 inch outside diameter, and two sections of steel pipe  4 inches by 13/16 inside diameter .
   have the 4 ft bar cut in half, then get it bent on a mandrel to an 85 degree inside angle(for the rear lean back)the bed should be about 8 inches  of upright,the rest is slider  
   make a 6inch high by 9 inch wide block of plywood and cover with your choice of covering, drill the two uprights to bolt back pad onto (2 bolts per post )
 the two short pipes are the welded onto the bottom of luggage rack crossbars,then have a 1/4 inch hole drilled 1 inch in from each end and have the welder tack a square nut onto each tube (to secure the sliding section of backrest .

The only down side to this arrangement is the rear grab handle has to be "chopped " just cut off the ears 1/2 inch  from the end of top plate.  if i can ever get my camera back from my kids, will get some pics of my set up for you ,, then you can download them, take to machine shop with you ,, if they see it , i bet they can make it . or, if you are planning any travel up i-85 , let me know, can meet you and let you see this for your self . give you a chance to see the set up, how is bolted, and how to mount the seca II saddlebags when you find those,, lol .(@30.0 to 50.00 on e-bay )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Cdnlouie

I have a great "H" style backrest with a V-star pad that I designed for carrying a knapsack and passenger.  I had to modify the frame with a piece of 2" angle and welded it along the top and cut out sides to support the piece from twisting. I installed bolts to detach if I don't want the rest (2 minutes) and two rubber plugs into tail section and it does not exist.  It has worked terrific for a whole season of carrying heavy loads in my knapsack and a passenger.

The frame is easily modified and welded up to produce a totally hidden unit which comes out of the tail section exactly behind the Yamaha name. I was challenged to build something that looked like it was factory and it just happened to work out.  I do have shots of the pieces I fabricated if anyone wants the plans to build one.  Everything can be done by hacksaw and then welding takes about 15 mins on the frame and the "H" backrest about four weld joints as I put two bars in the middele of the "H".  The bar was 3/4 inch square, a home depot item.

You can do it if you really want to. Getting the right bar angle is the trickiest part when welding the 2" angle to the frame.  You need to check that carefully with your backrest installed.  The V-star backrest clamps nicely on the frame by adding small spacers (steel brakeline tubing) and longer bolts.

The bar bolts in just behind the took kit and you need to notch out the plastic tookit holder about 1/2"

You get to keep the nice Yamaha side handles and everything goes together very nicely.  At least you know it can be done, sometimes that is half the battle.

Cheers

Louie

GA_Wolf

I saw some backrests in a catalog at the bike shop that attach under the rear portion of the seat...they are low, so I think they would flow well with the lines of the "V'  Have to ride the bike up to the shop and see if they have any and how they attach.  I think it's built into the sport bike seats, but not sure. Will also try to find a rear rack that has all the right angles to look good.  I want to keep the body banels under the seat-sides intact.  May be able to bolt a flat plate to the frame that extends down to just past the panel to attach the rack frame to.  Again, have to see what they have that will look good.  I want it functional, but want to keep the "V" looking sharp! Thanks for all the offers and ideas! It really gets my mind spinning the possibilities!  ;D

Waapman

how much are you looking to spend.  I have a rear cargo box that bolts right up (check out my pics in the gallery under Jay Sanzone)  Id let it go for $100.  I have to finance some repairs!
Got WAAP?

GA_Wolf

You got really tempted there, Jay...Have to wait a month or so...have to deal with the income tax thugs first..still trying to recover from the initial purchase of the "V".... sorry to hear you have to sell off your bike...it looks really sweet in the pics!!!!

If you still have it in a month or two and want to part with it, I give you a shout....Sorry I can't buy it right now.

Waapman

Thats cool, not selling off the entire bike!  just a few nick nack things I dont use that can fund my stator repairs! By next week my bike should be capable of a good long ride (Lord willing!)  so we can go on the GA visionaries ride!
Got WAAP?

GA_Wolf

That'll be great...look forward to going out on the road with you....  Going up to NAS Atlanta in Marietta Wed thru Fri for the Motorcycle Safety course...being retired navy I can take it for free vice the $250 it costs for the state sponsored course.  Plus this way I can waive the riding portion of my license exam and also get a 10% tax break on my insurance.  Plus I need it to get a base sticker for my bike.  So far my "V" has been pretty reliable...a minor stumble at 5800 RPM but not something that I can't work around at this point...want to sync the carbs to see if that helps, but will wait till after the course to do it...in case I muff the job up or something... ;D
Hope she makes it up there and back everyday...it will be the longest one-way and total for the day rides since I've had her.

kiawrench

ga wolf,,, getting some pictures taken soon , shows all the parts how to put on ?for my set up,, and how to mount the seca II hard case saddlebags. whole setup make the bike look like a darn bmw or buell,,,, maybe when i get funds for the paint job it will end ,, lol

may be done your way soon anyway , trining schedule for my work is due out,, may have some dates in atlanta soon,, can just do the work with you when i am down that way
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

GA_Wolf

Cool..the pics would be a great help....also still trying to see if I can scrape up the funds for wappman's backrest setup. Also saw a sissy bar for a reble 450 in JCWhitney's catalog.  I tmay be generic enought to work too....Just sync'd my carbs today...still stumbles at 5800 rpm....but I can live with it as long as it doesn't get worse...may try premium again as it did seem worse using regular before I sync'ed the carbs.

If you head down this way, let me know in advance...either email me eric_toppari@hotmail.com and I'll send you my phone # so we can set up a ride....