News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Just a note on projects and ideas.

Started by Lucky, March 22, 2004, 09:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Over the last 2 to 3 months i've been getting emails on stuff i've brought up here. everything from "What's the latest on project "X", to "Dude, you were going to have new "X's" made! where are they?" (I was??!!)

You've got to be kidding!!  If any of you have had an opertunity to actually meet me & see where I live, then you would know that i'm not in a position to dole out cash... most of us are not.

I will often present an idea here on the forum, with the hope that with so many contributing to the discussions, that we could get a few things accomplished.  Right now the 'big topic' is charging systems. I.E. stator construction, cooling, R/R placement, etc last month it was exhaust systems, and I can even remember back so far that someone here was considering making repro 83 fairings...

Some here have stepped up to the plate, notably Ron for hosting us in the first place, Rob for hosting my site (thank you!), Leather for his site, and tangebly, Humber for the windshields, and his willingness to find parts for us, Rick, allways there to offer a part, Tim (gone now, bike sold) offering graphics, etc, etc.

but, there are more of you out there who could help keep things moving. no one has ever asked for a cent in dues, and that's great, but it seems like but the same 6-8 people keep shouldering the responsibility for keeping these bikes running. (everyone wants a reliable stator & R/R, but enough people are on that now)

All the discussion is great, but sometimes more is needed, for example, Someone needs to follow up on the Wolf exhausts! go find the thread...

If i've seemed grumpy a lot lately, your probably right, and i'm sorry, but... no more emails about why haven't I found a replacement part for part "X"..  
and some good riding weather wouldn't hurt either...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

u see, that's what I tried to tell u last time when we talked... remember manuals... and "payablity" term.... why to hell distribute it completely for fre.... ok I don't object.. I explained it to u but I am afraid that I will lost my profit here in EU.. but on the other hand.....

why wapman didn't send me his shield if it costs lousy 20 bucks... saying that he can't get anything out of the deal... he could save few people searching for a shield or give them cheaper alternative than finidng complete fairings on ebay.....

but who cares??? If I were him, I would send this shield right away, just as I did with piston for Dave..... (interesting but Dave had to be sent this damn piston from Poland and I am sure that some of u had it at the moment it was needed....)

what Lucky said is right.... just help those bikes moving....

nie ma podpis?w

GA_Wolf

Now people.....let's play nice together.....
It is truly terrific the way some of you have really seemed to have taken the fore-front in helping the rest of us with our bikes and all!
And I know from experience in my past how frustrating it may get, when it seems like everyone turns to you or expects you to be doing so much, with so little, for so many.
From reading back in past threads it does seem like a few of you have really gone above and beyond...and I'm sure it is appreciated by all...especially by us new vision owners!
But remember also...some of us are not on the same level as you as far as knowledge of the bike, availability of tools  (or a place to even tear a bike down).  I for one don't have a garage and my neighbors would have a cow if I had my bike spread over the parking pad for more than a day. Forget having a parts bike just sitting there...and we're not even talking the crap my wife would give me on that subject.
I agree...Lucky should charge for his services and deserves to be compensated for them.  And so should anyone else if they so desire....and heartily thanked anyways.
But Humber...to single out one person like that was kind of wrong....he may have had other reasons two and it may just come out wrong in his messages...there could be other things that aren't known..
I assume we are trying to build an online community of friends here....and like a cross section of the world...there will be those that contribute, or not, in various degrees.  
I'll get off my soap box now... I hope that we can all just get along....

Silver_Bullet

Humber,
On this same note, you expressed interest in trying to get shields for the small sport fairing.  Forgive me, I've been out of the loop for some time, but I do have the original fairing and windshield.  I'm a little strapped for cash right now, but it's only temporary.  I could ship it to you possibly within a week or two(not counting actual shipping time).  The windshield has various scratches and cracks with one piece glued back, but is otherwise in one piece, mounted on the fairing.  I'm not real techno-oriented, but I can try to email photos if you are still interested.  By the way, I for one really appreciate your dedication and sincere efforts to help us owners.  I've said it before, in totality, you bunch are the best and deserve a lot of credit for the continuing help you've given all of us.

Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

Lucky

Just to be clear, it's not really the money. I could probably barter for most of what I need.  I'm talking, about sending emails, & letters, making calls, etc. not sending me $$$.  I don't want to give that impression.
--Lucky

Bruce

Lucky,
I can understand your frustration with these issues.. I have been there..

To that end I just sent off a note to Gary Wolf so see what is happening with the exhaust and I will let everyone know if and when I get a response.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Humber

wiling to take this shield Bullet...... if it is in one piece it will serve us right
nie ma podpis?w

Waapman

Number one; Humber, I dont trust you. I dont have to send my sheild to Poland to get a replica made!!  Theres a place not too far from me that I can DRIVE the piece to and they can make it for cheap!  So your Idea is get YOUR buddy to make some shields for X amount and then folks pay $60 something dollars for shipping + shield price? While you get yourself one made at OUR and my expense! And I get nothing but my same old sheild 2 months later and $20 less.  Doesnt sound like a good idea to me.  
Got WAAP?

Blake

Waapman,

Just in Humber's defense...  1..  they amount of shark fairings that are in europe are little to none.  It was an american accessory, and Humber definately doesnt has one.  The whole reason humber is trying to get a shield is because the guy he deals with will make a MOLD of the shield, so that he can mass produce the shields for those of us who have the shark fairing but no shield.  If you can get the guy by you to make a mold so that the rest of us can benefit, please help the rest of us out.  But please dont blame humber for trying to swindle anyone out of money.  As i just wrote, he gets nothing out of this.  He already has his shield for the 83 fairing, so the american shark fairing helps him none.

Long story short...some of us have to be (and are) willing to take a chance so that all of us can benefit and keep this bike running.  If my shield wasnt completely destroyed while in storage, I would have gladly sent it out, and I know for a fact i wouldnt be the only one who would order a shield from humbers man.  But until someone can find a local (US) shield maker who will make these shark fairing shields more than just 1 at a time as an "eyeball" project on the side, humber is willing to provide us with a guy who is willing to be the solution to our problem.  

my .02 cents

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Waapman

Ok sorry for my hasty response;but going through a very finacially tough time and a "lousy 20 bucks" is a lot of money! For something other than the bills and needs. Some of you just may not understand what its like trying to get by with very little.  And I told Humber I would gladly send him the sheild right away if he wanted to pay the shipping or he could just wait till I could scrape up some cash!  Doing business with a punk attitude is no way to get something accomplished.
Got WAAP?

JaBey

Amen brother!!!...I've been unemployed for 15 months and I have 3 college degrees. Times suck for a lot Americans right now. I'm not blaming Bush for all you people who let the media do your thinking for you.:)

I just wanted to let Lucky know that the best I could do for the community right now was I built 3 whole good running Visions out of parts last fall and plan to put them back into circulation this spring. Also, I was talking to Lucky about offering to take up slack on the carb rebuilding service. You guys have given me a lot of good heads up and I'm afraid this is the best I can give back right now.

Rick G

While we are crying in our beer I'll let you know my situation.  I'm nearly  62 and could not get steady employment this past year, the two  contractors I worked for part time  had  very little work , for me , this past year. The son-in- law of the owner of Motorcycle repair shop , I work in, (and have returned to) was un employed, so he got my job. To make a long story short , we have been living on my wife's disability and our credit cards ( debt is over 10,000 now )  We are probably going to sell our home to try to get out of debt. Thats only part of the story,but I wont bore you with any more details !  
There, I feel better now!  
By the way  Humber, sent me stuff first and trusted me to send his to  him. He's not exactly rich either!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

JaBey

My next beer toast will be to you Rick! I was the Director of IT at my last job and my job was given to my bosses brother. I'm up to $8000 credit...so I'm not ready to trade yet. ;) Luckily my fiance is working...so I still have 5 months to come up with a job before I have to dump my house. Either way...your in my prayers buddy.

Humber

u see wapman... I don't get anything out of the deal as u demanded it and my attitude is a little bit different because in fact I don't care about those shields.. we don't have such shields in Poland anyway..... just trying to help you.. at the moment no way, no shields, I just don't want them.... go to the shop and make them for everyone in US... they would bless you....

U say that I may add my charge to the final cost of shield.... Jabey - he will say it is all right because of your involvement in the matter.... but I don't act like that...

Look at MRA.de page.. it is a German manufacturer of the shields and at the moment OEM form for our bike is about 100 EURO without possiblity of adding lenght and a curve

U don't live in POland to know exact pricing, some parts very cheap here... but on the other hand when they see that u are in need of sth they will rip you off..

At the moment I am to send  EU gears to Rick, I called the guy who had advertised he had them, asked for a price... 90 euros he says.... OK.. standard for a clutch here.... if we were at the motorcycle bazaar I would tell him I am going to another seller and he would sell it for less (probably)... but no chance through the phone...

I am making an arrangement with him, COD and wait for my parcel... here it is at my door and the postman asks 120 EURO..... shit.. Calling the guy questioning him what's up... he says sth like Jabey did with me... I decided not to part with it for 90... charged you 15 euro for packing and added 15 euro for the part which is still a good price I believe... FUCK FUCK FUCK why to hell??... Have no choice!!! take my wallet and pay for the item... angry put it away and it is sitting in my shelf now even not opened... because lost the money meant for sending it to Rick..... we have to wait...

I had several situations like one above here... I overpaid for a starter the same way and sure I could do the same towards you... at list charging for handling would be ideal to make a profit... but I won't do it, at in case of the shield.. I didn't agree to pay for the shiopping because I get nothing out of this... the guy who is making this shield is not my friend, he lives about 400 km away from me and my only contact with him is by phone... moreover... he won't give anything for giving him a form... because he wants a profit...

Some of you certainly remember, I belive Kenny Steward, when I sent gears for the price of 90 bucks... when the dollar to EU was almost the same there were no problems.... but know EURO is damn deare, and what cost 100$ not a long ago, now cost 100EU... which is about 140 for you.... I can't help here....

And finally, I now that my digressions are good for nothing here... but... Wapman.. u didn't say wait until I put aside some money for it.... u said... NO WAY I WILL SEND IT TO YOU WITHOUT GETTING ANYTHING OUT OF THE DEAL... that sounds a little bit different man...

Finally, As everybody does now... I thank you very much for the help here when I appeared some 3-4 years ago.... My knowedge of this bike is much better and thanks to Rick my mechanical skills got better too, at the moment I don't feel like asking anyone for help, I just go into my garage and do everything on my own.... I wish u all could run with it the same way I can do now..., we get a lot of people every week which is very very nice. SOmetimes I feel like u are fed up with me som I am trying not to involve.... and when I start talking i give rise to fury discussion.... on the other hand it is not so bad.. adds variety... so let me apologise everyubody who might feel offended by my words..
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Attacking Humber is not what this forum is about, and was not the point of my post at all.  hopefully everyone understands this.

Walt_M.

Also, in Humber's defense, he will do what he says and I trust him. I have a set of Euro primary gears, thanks to his efforts. He did not have to get them for me but he did and I appreciate it.
 On the subject of projects, I still haven't heard if anyone had sent a piston and cylinder to Wiseco. As I have stated before, I have them and am willing to send them if no one else has done it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Kenny

Time to add my two cents worth:
    As I passed on to Lucky earlier I was a bit annoyed with some of the messages I saw after I had the kits done up for the 83 Carbs I paid for the postage sending the carbs away ect. Lots of good feedback before hand,but as soon as the kits were available all I heard was criticism.
    I am more than willing to help out with the exhaust once again my nickel,just for the record how many people are waiting for a Wolf Exhaust?? We will need to know once he has given us a price.
  Gary has the exhaust Assy and we should hava a quote within two or three weeks.
  Lets try and keep a posative outlook on the Forum
          Thanks Ken Stuart
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

glennw

How about a section for these special projects or "group buys"
It would be a lot less work to keep track for those interested. ???
GlennW
Half Mad Max

Lucky

Hey Kenny, I have no problem with the 83 kits, they were over priced when Sirrus came out with them, but the price has gone down, and I've bought two for myself already.  The parts included are the minimum needed, I would have liked to see other parts included, but i'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth...  

Glen, i like that idea! Ron?

JaBey

Who was attacking Humber? Looked the other way around to me.