#21...WITH PICTURES!!!

Started by Tiger, July 05, 2010, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I had decided that after five rebuilds this past winter, enough was enough... until winter returns...no more major work for me, just running repairs, were needed...after all, its riding' time 8)

My youngest brother (fortysomething) went out a couple of weeks ago, and bought himself a new DRZ400 Suzi'...a dual sport type.
Months ago, I had floated the idea of building a Vision with my middle brother (Forty something, nearly 50!!!)...because his oldest son had picked up an '8? Ninja, which needed some (read a lot) of TLC to get her back up and road worthy...and Peter (my brother) and his boy had completed the rebuild together...a good father/son bonding exercise.

On Sunday Peter and I started the building/bonding exercise...Number twentyone...now stands on my shop floor...A proud day for me...  8)

We pulled out a clear titled frame, that I picked up a few years back from a Yam' dealer and an engine from 'under the bench'...which we found to be seized solid...oops!!! I pulled out another one, that I got from Wolf a while back and we did the starter clutch 'fix', installed another stator, tightened the balancer nut, installed a good set of carb manifold boots, new spark plugs, etc, etc.

This afternoon, we got the motor in the frame, along with the rear swing arm/drive unit, a rear wheel with a recently serviced brake drum assembly was installed, a rear shock fitted, a brake bar which had been sand blasted and repainted black was also installed. We then hauled her up on to the centre stand with a jack under the front of the engine... 8)

The old steering head races/ball bearings were removed and new races/ tappered bearings replaced these... 8)

So a special numbered Vision is now under way, for a great guy. I'm looking forward to riding, at some point this year, with my two brothers... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

In the time it takes me to motivate myself to WORK on my bike, you've rebuilt three!  8)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Re-Vision

Rest up a little and enjoy riding Tiger, you've earned it and maybe we'll hear more from you. Wish I had some of your get-up-and-go. I've got two brothers that ride but they're not very close (Houston) so I envy you getting to ride with family.     BDC

kev10104

Well done buddy.Truly some great riding ahead for you.

fiddlesticks

Excellent. Can't wait to see the bike when you are done :)
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Night Vision

this should be interesting.... is he an animal like you?

take lots-o-pics!!!!
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

Quoteand an engine from 'under the bench'

Sounds like a magical bench to me...where can I get one?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

:) Well, in one short week, we have gone from a bunch of spare parts, (a spare engine, frame, swing arm/drive unit, seat, gauges, wire harness, etc, etc), to an almost complete Vision :o

She now stands on her own 'two feet' and is 90%+ complete... :o ;)

CanadianLou is sorting out a set of carbs, so we should be able to get this mix 'n match, once upon a time, boxes of spare parts, old girl running pretty soon 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

fret not

I must say, you are an inspiration to us all.  Keep up the good work and we will be cheering! :laugh: ;D :) ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Tiger

:) Thanks fret... 8)

vadasz1 has the gas tank in hand...repair and repaint needed...and Canadian_Lou is doing a set of carbs for her. Then its down hill all the way 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Hmmmmm, a few steps forward and back... :o ::)

Sadly the company vadasz1 is with, have informed him they are closed :o so fixin' & painting are on hold. However, vadasz1 getting another job, so he can look after his wife and two kids, is way more important at this time...best of luck buddy.

I installed an '83 front end, forks, calipers, rotors, master cylinder and brake lines (oem for now!!). I changed out the master cylinder after bleeding the brakes, as I could bleed them off but had no pressure...no big deal. A good front tire/rim and was also installed. Gotta wait for Canadian_Lou to return from Italy before we get a set of carbs to install...so that will be another week or so :'( ... never mind.

She's coming along...slow but sure 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on August 02, 2010, 02:51:14 PM

She's coming along...slow but sure

no prob... long as she's ready by September  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kev10104

I can hear her purring now.

Tiger

:) I spent six hours or so, on Sunday, stripping the crappy paint off of a good gas tank I had in the loft ::) :P Once bare and checked over for any rust spots/pin holes, I put on several coats of industrial grade gray primer and a couple of coats of industrial grade, high solids, gloss black. Left it over night to cure and...Voila!!! #21 now sports a nice looking gas tank...not paint perfect, but hey... 8)

All she needs now is a clean set of carbs and she will be up and running... :P

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Cdnlouie

Carbs are done  :o ....stop crying  :'(!

Tiger

Quote from: Cdnlouie on August 19, 2010, 01:26:42 AM
Carbs are done  :o ....stop crying  :'(! 

:)...Only tears of join my friend 8) SUPERB, thank you...from both my brother, (who will be the recipient of this Vision), and I 8).

Once again, the OnROV team effort shines through like Polaris ;) 8)

It will be, hmmmm....interesting, (to say the least!!!), to find out what this old girl will run like, given that she was built out of my parts bins!!! :o

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Rikugun

QuoteIt will be, hmmmm....interesting, (to say the least!!!), to find out what this old girl will run like, given that she was built out of my parts bins!!! 

Given the care that went into the project, she will most likely exceed the sum of her parts!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

:) Shes ALIVE...muhahahahahaha...ALIVE I tell you  :o :P... 8)

Initially she wouldn't start ::) in fact she didn't even hic'...no sir. Turned out we had no spark!!! A fiddle with this, a change that and...nope!!! grrrrrrrrrr....it was a bad module behind the TCI side ::) Changed that out, hit the start button and up she started, smooth as you like. No undue rattles or clanks coming from anywere. However, the neutral and oil light's stay on. Put her in gear and the idiot light stays illuminated bright Green!!!...Rev her up to around 3,500 RPM and the oil light goes out, below that and its a constant 'RED'... :-\ Ah well, tomorrows another day...4.30 a.m. comes around real quick in these parts ;)...Good night all!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

QBS

I was once told, long ago and far away, by an experienced and winning V race tuner, that when the oil light comes on at idle the end is near.  If it doesn't go away until 3.5k rpm, the end must be very near indeed.

fret not

Tiger, I can send the shop manual back to you. ; :oD  At least you know you have most of the parts to make it work because it ran if only for a short while!
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!