News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

#21...WITH PICTURES!!!

Started by Tiger, July 05, 2010, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Well, with very little to loose, I fired her up and let her run for 10 minutes, (at which point she was hot and the rad fan had kicked in). The RED idiot light still burning bright, (as was and GREEN one when I put the "V" in gear for a couple of minutes!!).

There was NO adverse reaction during all this time, which leads me to think that there may well be a short somewhere in the system... ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

Have you tried swapping out the Oil Pressure Switch?     BDC

Rikugun

Do both sensors complete the circuit to ground?

Quotewhich leads me to think that there may well be a short somewhere in the system..

That seems quite possible. They're both on the same side of the motor and run together through the same wire guides, etc. Maybe both wires have exposed strands through worn insulation?  Pinched?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Cdnlouie

I have an oil pressure gauge  :) kicking around here somewhere if you want to test the pressure.... or you could take it out on the road and red line it  :o in every gear...guaranteed to produce results  ::).  It does seem like a wiring issue though on those two "idiot" gauges  ;D.

Great job to get to this point!

Tiger

Quote from: Re-Vision on August 25, 2010, 08:54:05 AM
Have you tried swapping out the Oil Pressure Switch?     BDC

:) Been there, done that...no difference.

Quote from: Cdnlouie on August 25, 2010, 10:38:09 AM
I have an oil pressure gauge  :) kicking around here somewhere if you want to test the pressureGreat job to get to this point!

Hmmmm, that might just be the way to go...Thank you.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

QBS

There is no substitute for a real live oil pressure readout.  Also investigate wiring mistakes.  They've been known to happen before.  Who knows how inept the last person to connect the sender unit and neutral switch was.

Rikugun

Ten minutes of running with no oil pressure would kill a plain bearing motor so there must be some pressure. Couldn't a vom meter be used as a quick test to see if the sending unit works? Disconnect the wire and replace it with one lead, the other to the engine (ground). Engine off, closed. Engine running, open. If the sending unit passes the test, oil pressure is within it's parameters and the wiring would then be suspect.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

:) Well, after some stop/start/stop/start goings on, she is finally ready for a road safety certificate 8) 8)

I swapped out the oil pump and seal...problem solved  8) The 'Green' light problem was a nicked and grounded wire...cut out and graft in a new wire and connector...VOILA!!!

However, the main problem that arose was when I tried to install the nicely painted (read rattle can!!) Gloss Black gas tank and recovered seat...The seat would not go right into place and lock!!! WTF!!!!!!
It turns out that this frame is not straight.......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH F**K!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm, I have another frame but with wrecked swing arm bearings...OK, new swing arm bearings and spacers were ordered up...with shipping from Florida = $59.92. The frame was cleaned up and repainted Gloss Black...Now, I just need those bearings to arrive... ::)

On Sunday, I stripped out the whole bike...everything... down to the last nut and bolt and transferred everything, except the rear swing arm (still awaiting bearings!!) on to the 'new' frame.
I lifted the 'new' frame over the engine (as it was on the floor) and bolted her up. Centre stand down and haul the Vision up right with a bike/ATV jack under her. I took the whole front end, (forks, wheel, fender brakes, etc, etc), out of the frame and slid it all right in to the 'new' frame without missing a beat LOL. Yes, new steering head tapered bearings are installed  ;) The swing arm was repainted Gloss Black...nothing else to do!!!

Monday...and the swing arm bearings arrived...YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 8)

Over the next couple of days, bearings, swing arm, etc, etc were all installed, as was the rear wheel (with its nice new tire), Aluminum side plates, (bead blasted and clear coated), foot pegs, gear shift, foot brake, etc, etc.

Yesterday, I filled her with fresh gas and...Ahhh shit, a gas leak from the petcock!!!!!!! Empty tank, remove and rebuild said offending petcock from whatever parts I had in the bins ::)

Its ALL now back together and running as sweet as sugar...with a newly installed Wolf exhaust system  :o ;)

I think my brother is coming down tonight...So there is a pleasant suprise awaiting him... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

cool! will he be joining the festivities?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on September 16, 2010, 05:13:16 PM
cool! will he be joining the festivities?

If he gets his license and insurance, then maybe  :-\ Oh...and providing she goes through the safety O.K... ;) ;)

Cdnlouie

Wow...now wonder you have been keeping a low profile this week! What a marathon of parts swapping!  "Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me!"  :angel: That kinda works for you Tiger... I know it works for me.

Tiger

:) A low profile is right, head down and a$$ up in the shop trying to complete this wee girl for my brother...but he is worth all the effort... 8)

Peter came down last night, expecting to start the swap out... ;) Man was he surprised to see #21 standing there complete and shining like a new silver dollar against a dark background  :o 8) LOL.

I have to try and get her down to T.O. for a safety today (in between work!!)... :o ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Last night, in the bar at the Canadian Legion, (with Canadian_Lou, Night_Vision, Joe_Vacc, Watson, Big Barry and 'art as a welcoming crew), we presented Peter with his Vision ownership, Road safety certificate & Vision key.

After all the ale we all drank, riding was certainly NOT an option. I think that after their rides to get here today, Night_Vision, Joe_Vacc & Watson, were just happy to chill out with a few many, wobbly pops!!!

Welcome to the crew Peter... 8)

Before this season is through, it would be nice to ride with my two brothers...for the very first time!!  8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Raj1988

Come on folks lets get moving

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

:) Peter should have the insurance, plates, license, etc sorted tomorrow...so this little lady, made from the various spare part's that I had in the shop, will soon be going to her new home  8)

Picture's to follow...(sent to my editor!! LOL).

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

wow, believe it or not, the last pics I posted were No.16  :o

so... here's the little mongrel

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Re-Vision

Looks nice Tiger, I especially like the mufflers and fuse holders. What is that Yamaha device on the front fender?    BDC

Tiger

Quote from: Re-Vision on September 20, 2010, 08:32:02 PM
Looks nice Tiger, I especially like the mufflers and fuse holders. What is that Yamaha device on the front fender?    BDC

Thanks BDC...The exhaust system is a rare 'Wolf' unit. I have no idea what the Yamaha logo on the tip of the front fender came off of...it was on there when I acquired all the plastics from 'Blurred Vision' a long while back.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
ps Thanks also go to Night_Vision...my editor-in-chief!!!

Raj1988

looks like my girl has an evil (goth) twin with an amazing exhaust system
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

:) I'm truly amazed at what we have achieved, given that all of the parts came from a variety of Vision's!!! The frame came from 'Raj, the engine from Wolf's original '82 Vision, the black 'plastics' (complete with flames and skulls!!) from Blurred Vision, the seat cover from Night_Vision, etc, etc...all bought/swapped/traded/given over the years  8)

New parts consisted of: 2 x tires, spark plugs/wires/caps, steering head tapered bearings, swing arm bearings/spacers, in-line gas filter, all the vacuum/fuel lines, headlight bulb, Amber coloured dash bulbs, engine oil/filter, air filter, rear drive oil, coolant, fork oil/seals, positive/negative wires, left side engine cover gasket, all the other light bulbs were replaced with new and a variety of nuts/bolts/washers/cotter pins, etc were replaced with new...I'm may have forgotten some bits LOL.

I'm sure that once Peter gets her home, he will add his own touches/changes to her... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)