Starter rebuild kit--- Where?

Started by Raj1988, July 08, 2010, 01:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raj1988

I took apart my starter and boy was it gunky. The brushes are well worn and the coil thing that spins has black worn down contacts.

So the question now arises... Where can i get a rebuild kit
someone mentioned 14rebuilders (kia?) but i could not find them...

Where does everyone get their starter's rebuilt?
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Rick G

bought a kit  on ebay, worked fine. Some have had a problem wth soft brushes.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

There have been many posts regarding this topic.  Archival research could prove helpful.

Raj1988

Quote from: QBS on July 08, 2010, 09:13:30 AM
There have many posts regarding this topic.  Archival research could prove helpful.

MOst of the links are dead and i cannot find the sellers  :( .

VisionMeister

Check with an automotive electrical shop that does stators and starters. This is a standard starter and rebuild kits are available and someitmes in stock.
My friend works at such a shop and just bought a Vision that needed a starter rebuild. They had a kit in stock.

Good luck.

kev10104

The o-ring that goes on before you connect it back together got ripped when mine was taken apart and Tiger told me where to get one but they want the actual o-ring to compare.I understand that but I put the ripped one back on and am riding with it.I just need to find the time to take the starter off and bring the o-ring to a place called able o-rings.I was just hoping to be able to ride out their as it is probably an hour away.

QBS

The large diameter, square section "O" ring that goes between the two halves of the starter body can be reused, even if it is broken.  They become fragile and brittle with age.  However, if not in pieces, they can be reused and the break gap can be filled and stabilized with any silicone seal type product.  Permatex liquid gasket works very well.  The key is to handle with care and don't damage the ring any more than it already is.  I've done this for many years.

In place of a ring should the need arise, a bead of Permatex liquid gasket placed around the assembled starter body in the ring groove would probably serve very well.  Mask off the groove area before Permatex application for extra points.

Night Vision

Quote from: ps2/bikevision on July 08, 2010, 02:31:50 PM
$27.95 on ebay with free shipping. im ordering one just as soon as i post this. ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STARTER-REBUILD-REPAIR-KIT-YAMAHA-XZ-550-VISION-1982-83-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e1d51afdQQitemZ360271125245QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100

that's the kit I used for my brother's starter rebuild.... has ALL the parts you'd ever need at half the price of an OEM brush plate... don't know about longevity yet
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kev10104

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on July 08, 2010, 01:52:01 AM
Where does everyone get their starter's rebuilt?

I can supply brushes, however, I would advise that you get one of the complete kits from ebay ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

Rikugun

If you choose to omit the o-ring(s) you may want to verify there is no binding when everything is reassembled and tight.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

ps2/bikevision

got my rebuild kit today. and its exactally what i ordered. the bike now cranks with ease.

Raj1988