charging system

Started by ps2/bikevision, March 15, 2004, 07:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

this was probly covered but i couldnt find it. if you dont know i got my first bike my '82 vision from a friend mike who i traded my playstation2 for. he had already done a lot of work to it that you talk about. when he got it it was junk.

anyway it wont start without hooking up my jumper box to it. i tested the battery and it is no good wont hold a charge. from what mike says it is supposed to stay running when you unhook the battery. i tried it it wont run. he has changed the generator already and has made his own fuse box to replace the old style fuses with push in fuses.

i havent ridden it much do to cold weather but it has ran fine each time i have. i just strap my jumper box to the back and hook it up when i start it. the battery in it will keep it running once started.i am going to change the acid in the battery in the next day or two in hopes of not buying a new battery. ( i know batterys are only $20-25 but i dont like spending $$.)
mike says there is still somthing wrong with the charging system. my mech. skills are rebuilding (which i am very good at) not dioganosis.

any suggestions.

QBS

Once a battery has acid added to it at the beginning of its' service life, nothing other than distilled water should be added to it.  Changing its' acid will insure that it is dead for sure.  If, for whatever reason, it won't hold a charge the only option is to replace it.

After the new one has acid added to it, put it on a trickle for 24 hours before you place it in service.  This will insure that it will deliver its' full rated storage capacity for its' entire life.  Cheers.

ps2/bikevision

hey thanks for the info on the battery i didnt know that. i charged the old battery and it  is starting the bike on its own power for now. if it quits starting it then i will buy a new battery and go from there. if i am lucky a bad battery might be all my problem. :-/ lets hope

QBS

Before you buy a new battery check your stator output with a voltmeter.  This will help you determine if you need a new battery, or a new charging system componet.

A PS to my above post regarding battery service life initiation.

Whenever possible, when buying a new wet cell battery, put it on a low amperage charger for 24 hours before placing it in service.  New batterys have a dry charged state that is immediatly available upon initial acidization.  However, this provides only 80% of the batterys designed amperage storage.  If the battery isn't fully charged before being placed in service, that 80% is all you'll ever be able to get into or take out of the battery for the rest of its' life.

Most people simply drive into the store, buy a new battery and drive out.  In virtually all such cases, the store takes the new battery off the shelf in a dry condition, adds acid, sticks it in the car or bike and declares victory.  They do this because in most cases the customer doesn't know or care to take the time to have the process done right.  And the store surely doesn't want to take the time to do it right.  In reality, there are so many different battery models that it's not really economically feasable to keep one of each always properly prepared and ready to go.

So, if possible, if you buy your batterys already acidized, take them home and charge them before installation.  Or, if you acidize them yourself, be sure and charge them before you install them.

Cheers.

JaBey

For the record...if anyone out there wants to give me their Vision for my Playstation...you just let me know! Sucker born every minute.