Starter wont work

Started by Waapman, March 12, 2004, 05:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waapman

Yeha! I finally cranked the project vision. after pushing the start button a zillion times and trying everything else. I put in all new fuses, a fully charged battery and hit the start button....nothing happend.  So I hot-wired the starter and the engine cranked! after a few tries and alot of gas in the carbs.  Wouldnt stay running because gas was not getting to the carbs from the tank.  Carbs are in a million pieces soaking right now.  they were filled with deposits! and I mean filled!  Now my last obstacle (maybe last?!) is figuring why the start button doesnt work.  Like I said its not fuses or fuse box, its all new.  Its not the starter as it worked to crank the engine.  My only lead was the wire coming off the clutch its ripped and not connected so  I wired it back up with some wire and it still didnt work?  ANY IDEAS??
Got WAAP?

Walt_M.

You are on to something with the wire to the clutch but there are 2 wires, a black with yellow tracer and a blue with yellow tracer. I'm not exactly sure how your wire was damaged or what you did to repair it but, there may be more problems. The clutch wires are to a switch that will allow the bike to start if it is in gear, with the clutch disengaged. If the bike is not in gear, it should have no effect. It could be the starting circuit cutoff relay but, without more info, I can't be more help.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

It may be the damaged wires from the clutch saftey switch , or a worn  starter button , or a dozen other things . I would cut the black wire with a white tracer at the TCI box as a test , this defeats the "saftey circuit " and narrows the list of potential problems. be advised , however that the  bike will start in gear , with the clutch out and with the side stand down . (just like all bikes pre 1977 or so) If that cures it, you can either leave it with all the "big brother stuff disconnected or  continue  to search for the connection or relay  thats at fault .  
If the bike starts  after you disconnect the wire , then , of course the  problem is in the saftey circuit , if not try thr starter push button and the solinoid.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

JaBey

Just to give us a direction...does the solinoid work? Meaning when you push the starter button, does it make a clicking noise?

Waapman

No it doesnt make a single sound.  But when I jump the wires on the solinoid it will run the starter, thas how I was cranking it.  Ive got some time now to figure it out as I rebuild the carbs ! FUN!!
Got WAAP?

Rick G

Starter buttons on old bikes get warn , corroded  and dirty . try inspecting the internals  looking for evidence  of small broken springs and worn out contact plates.  A good douching with contact cleaner may help too.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Douching?? you mean dousing?  LMFHO!!!
I love you man!! you crack me up...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Waapman

yeah! I will douse but not douche!
Got WAAP?

Rick G

I ment doucheing ,  to flood with liquid , to clense. lol
 I had a friend from Holland  who spoke a little english  and had a habit of filling in with Dutch words  when he didn't know the  English word .  He was at his brother, Henk's house and all were going out for the evening, the baby sitter arrived to watch the brothers children, and as it was time for him to take a shower , my friend, Rob, anounces to all that "  Henk , I go take my douche now"  you should have seen the look on the baby sitters face!
Rick G