Emulsion tube again, looking for pattern parts

Started by gmac, July 13, 2010, 11:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmac

My brother is an expert machinest (has worked for the last 25+ years producing the guns that protect the Navy's ships) and has told me there would be no problem making the 180 jets and the tubes (the only problem we may have is the smallest holes on the tubes, but I'm confident we can figure that out).

What I need are broken jets and/or tubes with enough left to get the dimenstions, jet size, and tube hole sizes right. If you have any broken/junk jets or tubes you want to get rid of let me know. Also would be interested in a junk '83 carb to make sure the threads are right (stock 180 jets have different threads).

Anyone willing to donate/sell cheap/help will get a substantial discount on a new set of tubes when we get them made. I hope to be able to produce these cost effective enough to offer them to anyone that needs them.

As always any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gary

CasaJones

Gmac

You are taking on a big job.  Thanks for doing it.  I'm sure there are several carbs out there that need an emulsion tube to make them emulse  ;) 

I have 2- 82 carbs and both are missing emulsion tubes.   Yesterday when I was spelunking in my garage I took them apart and noticed that they are both missing emulsion tubes.   When I went to move one over to the more complete carb it wouldn't go in.  GRRRRR.   Apparently there are (at least) 2 variations of 82 carbs  ??? ???   The bottom of one emulsion tube is tapered in and the other tube bottom is ~tapered~ out.   You are welcome to both tubes to make measurements etc etc.    I'd just like them back whenever you are finished with them.   

I don't need either carb for my current projects but would like the parts back as back up. 

Email me where they need to go. 

RJ
2- red 82 xz550s --- they're twins!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson

Lucky

Oddly enough, i just put a pic of the two 82 emultion tubes on my FB page yesterday..

the top one is the more common one, the bottom one is the one that always gets stuck (corrosion, buildup, etc) & is almost impossable to get out without drilling it out & sticking a screw in it!!

I doubt there is much need for aftermarket 83's.. they just screw right out with that nice big slot...

pics of the 82's
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

For what it's worth, I found gently heating the carb body casting where the tube lives made for a much easier removal. I bought one of those Harbor Frieght mini butane filled torches and finally found another use for it.  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Lucky

tried it... failed..
if carb cleaner & compressed air don't do it i'll usually try cutting a slot with a dremil & turning it, but those 82's like the bottom one get stuck at the bottom where it's wider.

On Spectre's i used a wire drill to drill a hole into the top from the side. along with the slot this allowed me to pry up with a pic while turning it with a screwdriver, eventually working it out...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

CasaJones

Other than the difference on the bottom of each of the tubes, is there any difference?   Could I remove the excess of the wider bottom and fit it in a narrower fitted carb body?

They look to be the same size and  have the same number of holes.   Just wondering
2- red 82 xz550s --- they're twins!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson

Cdnlouie

I like the drill in from the side idea Lucky, good to keep in mind  ;).  I have used the slot on occasion for sure. Trying to save these pieces is real important for the future.