News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Sport fairings

Started by Agonoize, July 19, 2010, 05:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agonoize

I have seen several types of fairings for the vision the ones I like the most are yellowjackets, and the one that covers the entire front.  How many people actually use fairings on their visions?  Also if anyone knows of a place to find a good one let me know been thinking about getting one, though I am unsure =P.

Rikugun

I have an '82 with an optional "handlebar" mounted fairing. I rode with no fairing the first several hundred miles and just recently installed it.  Part of the charm of this bike is the induction noise and slight growl of the partially rusted out exhaust. This was drowned out at speeds as low as 25-30 mph from wind noise after adding the fairing. It also blocked air from getting to the vents in my riding jacket rendering them ineffective. As an experiment, I mounted an identical spare fairing with no windscreen and it works well. I can enjoy the engine/exhaust sounds to 50 or more and feel the cooling effects of the jacket's vents again. It's odd looking but I'll probably leave it this way for the summer and use the other when the temps get cooler.

This works for how I use this bike which is primarily nice weather on the weekends. In the past I've used bikes for highway commuting rain or shine and appreciated the protection of a fairing. I've found it's not so critical for back roads in fair weather.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Agonoize

cool fairing you got there, thanks for the info.  I been searching around and could only come up with 2 cowlings one with a shield and one without. But I'm thinking if I wait something better may come up.

kiawrench

there are several fairing to chose from,
factory full fairing : option of lowers or not

factory sport fairing  a small 1/4 fairing, somewhat square in shape, but definately sporty

factory "shark" nose fairing ,also known as the sportiest- like yellowjacket's

the squared version and shark nose fairing were also produced by ranger fairings ,under the name "boxer" and "rooster"

Craig Vetter, of early bike superstardom, created the Quicksilver, followed by the quicksilver ll, and stopped production just prior to th equicksilver lll set-up (full fairing front, rear seat cowling ,chin blade and enclosed foot tubs all in one smoothly flowing set. )

Hannigan made a nearly perfect fairing for the vision, but it is not on the affordable end of the scale now, most will cost more than the bike did for most of us.

if you are truly handy in the workshop, you can buy any of the "cafe"design fairings offered now by many companies, but it may require modification of the bike in more than one aspect.

you will indeed find fairings on craig's list and e-bay, but always ask if they are including the brackets BEFORE you buy.
as for screen height, most fairings have simple angle windscreens and can be modified to suit you  with a minimum of work.  the factory full fairing uses a compound angle type screen, and should be made and sized by a company that has ability to shape it without distortion(search forum for "windscreen replacement" to get source.

i personally ride with a quick silver ll, custom windscreen, (14 inches high,side skirts ,and secondary mounting bolts added  to block wind in cooler weather as well as rain ) with no lowers ever being made for it . short as i am,this works perfectly

i would suggest you look through the forum gallery photos, and maybe the german website for ideas, see what you may like ,and we can all put our heads into a web knot and maybe find it for you
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Heres some extra (and I think previously un-posted) pictures of YellowJacket that show off the SHark fairing pretty well:

8)  David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Raj1988

I have the 1/4 factory sport fairing on my bike.... here are a few pic from my long-ish road trip
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Raj1988

And a few more... Should have bought a DS

Tiger

:) I have the FULL Yamaha Vision fairing, complete with working air vents, and just love it!!!

There are several options regarding fairings...all those mentioned AND a lot more ;).

Go for a wander around a bike wreckers yard or two and have a look at all the fairings with a rectangular headlight. Most of these can be fitted to your Vision without any modification, other than to make up some brackets, which I've done a couple of times in the past.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Agonoize

Thanks for all the replies, and pictures.  I will have to put some thought into this.  I really do like the look of the full fairing, then again the shark fairing is equally as nice.  Like you said I will look around a bit and see if i can make up my mind, thanks again.

Rikugun

Here's a Vetter fairing for $1200. It comes with an '82 Vision attached.  :D

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1794835392.html

I emailed him and the bike is still avaible. He claims to not be a member of ROV but has seen the site.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Agonoize

=D thanks but that may be a bit more then what I wanted to spend.  Not sure what I would do with a second vision either =P.

YellowJacket!

One of the differences between the shark fairing and the full fairing (that came stock on the 83's) is that the shark turns with your steering -its mounted to the tripple tree.  For the full fairing, it remains stationary as it is mounted to the frame so when you move the handle bars and front end move within the fairing.

David

Hartless

i have  a vetter  fairing im selling. looking for 80 bucks us plus shipping.look on the general board under my new fairing. it needs the brackets welded but i can do that. just havnt got to it yet
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Night Vision

Quote from: Raj1988 on July 19, 2010, 10:34:50 PM
I have the 1/4 factory sport fairing on my bike.... here are a few pic from my long-ish road trip

my, my..... you've been a busy boy.. that's not the Vision I saw you with.... nice setup
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Raj1988

Thank you NV. i hope to see you at teh Fall ride this year. I am looking for affordable set side covers and tail pieces to match my NOS euro tank.. Future works :0

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Raj1988 on July 22, 2010, 05:02:24 PM
Thank you NV. i hope to see you at teh Fall ride this year. I am looking for affordable set side covers and tail pieces to match my NOS euro tank.. Future works :0

Heh heh

I made mine match by taking this:

And doing this to it:

Followed by this:

Which eventually resulted in this:

8)

It was a perfictly good Eurotank that had never been used before.  In the end (now that I have the star silver saddle bags) it would have been much easier to have painted my side covers and the "rails" under the seat as my front fender and Shark Fairing were also star silver when I got them.  Ahhh.. but we never know do we.

David

Raj1988

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

well then shewould not be YJ now would she?

You've got 2 yics coming your way....

YellowJacket!

nah... she be something like "SS" for Silver Star....

I think the YJ is befitting.  8)

David

ejether

I like the look of the sport Fairing!
Does anyone know where I could track one of those down?

Hartless

Quote from: ejether on July 26, 2010, 06:48:14 PM
I like the look of the sport Fairing!
Does anyone know where I could track one of those down?

check out the rifle sport website. they are like 200 bucks i think its just riflesport.com...someone correct me if i am wrong. i woukd look it up but im on my phone and dont feel  like exherting the effort. does that mean you dont want to check out my vetter  EJ?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"