News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

What grade of gas

Started by Agonoize, July 29, 2010, 08:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agonoize

what grade of gas do you use in your vision? normal, mid-grad, or premium?  Just curious want to make sure I am running the right fuel in my vision.

QBS

I run the cheapest gas available, regular, at any gas station around.  Anything more is a waste of $. 

Agonoize

I see, thanks for that info.

The Prophet of Doom

Standard fuel is generally fine that's what is stated in the factory manuals.

People will tell you that the octane only refers to the fuel's anti-knocking capability, and if you aren't knocking then it's a waste of $$
This is true as far as octane rating alone is concerned.  The octane rating has no direct relationshp to the energy rating of the fuel, or the flame speed of the ignited mixture.
However...
premium fuels may have superior additive packages that help to maintain engine condition
premium fuels may have superior additive packages that help ignite better
premium fuels may have a slightly (2-3%) higher energy density - they produce more energy when burned. 

You will get different results from different brands and locations.  With the fuel we get in New Zealand, switching to premium will give you a real-world seat of pants performance improvement.

Whether these are advantageous enough to justify the higher price is up to you.

iain

Rohan is that your bum in the picture

Iain
NZ

The Prophet of Doom

It sure is.  You should see me in shorts

The Prophet of Doom

Are they your tits in your picture?

Agonoize

Rikugun

My GPZ 550 knocks in this hot weather even running premium. I was very pleased that the Vision will run just fine with regular.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

[jh]

I run premium in my bike, I feel like it idles a bit better, and overall better performance. It could be a placebo and I only feel like that because I know it's in there. I'm happy to spend a bit more on gas for my 28 year old bike. I'm sure it helps a bit.
wow!

fret not

Gasoline in the US may be different from that of other countries, but premium does not have more energy than regular.  It does have a higher anti knock index.  So, as long as your engine is not having knocking/detonation  problems you are not gaining anything by using Premium fuel.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Agonoize

Hartless

also , in the US, cheaper grade gas such as arco will dilute their gas with who knows what ( probably water ) during certain times of the year.also has crummy crap in it too, it used to clog my Dads trucks fuel lines. hes a cheap skate haha. i also tested the difference with my ford ranger , and i averaged better gas mileage with premium. this was a test of over a year , so i would have to say that its pretty accurate. but , i forget that i am a self admitting retard so who knows!! : )
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Hartless on August 04, 2010, 09:26:11 PM
i also tested the difference with my ford ranger , and i averaged better gas mileage with premium. this was a test of over a year , so i would have to say that its pretty accurate.

If your Ford Ranger has a good computer, it will actually sense detonation and adjust the timing so that it won't happen.  When the computer does that, you lose gas mileage and performance.  So if the gas you were using was getting you better mileage, that's probably what was happening.  Same thing would happen with my car if I put in a lesser grade than it needs.

Brian

GT @ oh.

I do get more mi./tank with premium but whether its enough to justify the price dunno

Brian Moffet

The Vision isn't that smart, so that's not what's happening.

Hartless

it was a 93 ranger with dual spark. plus a four cyclinder. i averaged everything out and did all the calculations, it saved me about 5-10 bucks a fill. i was getting at least 50 mpg better
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"