Anyone have a junk '83 petcock?

Started by gmac, July 20, 2010, 12:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmac

I know that's a dumb question, but figured it might get some interest.

Don't want to take mine off as the bike is at least somewhat rideable for my son at this point.

Need a junk 83 petcock for a pattern (again thought about posting that as a title, but didn't get much response on my emulsion tube post). Going to have my brother machine the part that attaches to the tank with the groove for the original oval ring so that seals (and I believe is still available), and thinking up other ideas on the fuel supply and the fuel return.

Hopeing to make 2 versions for a repacement, one will be a simple off/on/reserve manual petcock, the other will have a vacum operated petcock.

Anyone that has any ideas is welcome to contribute. Anyone that has an '83 petcock they would just as soon see gone would help me out a lot.

Thanks.

Gary

Rikugun

Maybe the machined block you create could be threaded to accept "off the shelf petcock" components like Pingel offers. The Harley guys seem to like them.

http://www.pingelonline.com/fuel_valves.htm
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

There is an ancient Suzuki petcock, that resembles the '82 petcock and has the same mounting  hole spacing. I have one. Its my "no other choice spare"  You would have to make an adapter . as the mounting  holes are closer together than the '83, but then every other petcock is too.These could be found in salvage yards or possibly from US Suzuki.
Any alternative petcock will require some re-engineering of the fuel recirculation system .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

gmac

Rick,

Thanks for the info, brings up the question that poped in to my mind today, where does the fuel return go to?

Looks to me like it returns to the back side of the vacuum fuel shut off and back out the feed line, obviously it can't go back to the tank on the bottom side where there is fuel.

My thoughts are to block it off, need to do some research on what that problems that may cause, or run it back in to the feed line if that is where it really goes.

Any input on the fuel flow would be appreciated here.

Thanks.

Gary

Lucky

the fuel return on the 83 petcock goes to the round hole/tube combo inside the tank (the taller of the two) 

Whats that you say? you don't have a taller round tube?  bet you do, it's fallen off & is rolling around or stuck inside the tank.  if it's missing, you can rig one in with brass tubing & coffee filter mesh at the top...  did one that way
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

The second line is to recirculate gasoline to pass EPA 'Hot Soak" emission standards by returning hot fuel from the carb float needles to the tank for cooling.

Plug all of the second circuit hoses, coming and going. (cut the hose and plug both sides)

The guys in Bakersfield have never had a 'vapor lock' and the V never got it's 'charcoal canister' so the 83 petcock was a preparation for the coming EPA standards that no V's were ever built for.

$0.02
;)
Coil