Main fuse blowing

Started by gmac, August 10, 2010, 02:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

I have never seen an R/R fail in that manner.  I realize $ is an issue.  Never the less, many Japanese bikes use units that will interchange with the V.  A used one should be available for $10.00 or less.  Others here should be able to advise regarding what bikes will interchange.

FYI: Inanecathod recently put the MOSFET design in his bike with apparently excellent results.  That thread should be no more than a couple of weeks old.

Lucky

Quote from: gmac on August 13, 2010, 12:55:20 AM
Connector is perfect, battery is new.

I woldn't mind replacing it with a newer version, but after being unemployed for 6 months and underemployed for the 18 months since then things are a little tight.

Back to my original question, has anyone seen these with a dead short?

I remember cars with Regulators doing it, so yes it's possable
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

gmac

Can someone tell me off hand or measure the resistance (on your spare) between the brown and black wires on the R/R (disconnected from everything else) and verify it is not supposed to be zero (I assume it is not supposed to be a dead short, but wanted to verify before I crack the epoxy out of it).

Thanks.

Gary

Re-Vision

I measured a couple and found 25K and 32K Ohms.    BDC

gmac

Just in case you didn't read my other rant in my R/R thread, bought a used R/R off ebay for $26, installed it tonight, fuse doesn't blow, runs great.

Might be a quick check if this happens to you, pull the right side cover off and unplug the R/R, test the resistance between the black and brown wires, if it is shorted start hunting for a new R/R (hint, search Ebay, title and description, for part # 4X7-81960 (leave the A0-00 off as the one I found was listed as AO (A OH as opposed to A zero).

inanecathode

Quote from: QBS on August 13, 2010, 01:09:34 AM
I have never seen an R/R fail in that manner.  I realize $ is an issue.  Never the less, many Japanese bikes use units that will interchange with the V.  A used one should be available for $10.00 or less.  Others here should be able to advise regarding what bikes will interchange.

FYI: Inanecathod recently put the MOSFET design in his bike with apparently excellent results.  That thread should be no more than a couple of weeks old.

Yup qbs, no lying here: 14.0 volts at 1000 rpm, never had that on anything. Very cool. Physically cool as well, after a long ride i took the glove off and felt the r/r around the back of the battery box, cool as the rest of the frame.

As far as the op, i've personally witnessed even the self cancelling unit for the turn signal system fail straight to ground and blow the main fuse (after we discovered someone putting a 30a fuse in the head slot).
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////