News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New Vision Rider - First Motorcycle Project

Started by 2002_wrx, August 10, 2010, 02:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2002_wrx

Hey all,
    Just wanted to introduce myself as I'm new to the forum.  My name's Alan, I'm a 21 yr old student and just bought an 82 Vision as my first motorcycle.  I bought it as a bit of a project to fix up...here's the progress I've made on it:

-Fixed all electronics/small issues (everything works now!)
    -Made new air filter
    -Removed old Kreem coating from tank (nightmare)
    -Recoated tank with POR-15 sealer...looks like new
    -Full professional grade paint job - did it myself!  Color is Dark Gray Metallic from a 2003 Volkswagen.

Just got the bike all reassembled and took a 50 mile ride last night  :)

Thanks for the pointers/input guys..

Here's some pics:

As I bought it:

Rikugun

Hey Alan, nice job! I like the color and it looks very professional! Welcome to the site and enjoy your Vision.

BTW, on the last pic, is that 2 fuel filters I see?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

2002_wrx

Quote from: Rikugun on August 10, 2010, 03:04:15 PM
Hey Alan, nice job! I like the color and it looks very professional! Welcome to the site and enjoy your Vision.

BTW, on the last pic, is that 2 fuel filters I see?

Thanks guys!  Yes, it might have been a bit overkill, but I ran 2 filters on the first ride to catch anything that could have possibly been loose from cleaning out the tank and petcock.  Looked perfectly clean so I took the cloth one off this morning.

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

Not many would have picked VW gray paint for a bike, looks like you did a great paint job as well as pick a color that creates an excellent appearance. My bike is the Yamaha Star Silver which I like and may have influenced my appreciation for your work. Hope we see more of your work in the future.     BDC

Raj1988

FREAKING beautiful paint job, Best i've seen yet
good on you
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

QBS

Dood, excellent workmanship.  After all your other work, how does it run?  What does your before V mechanical resume include?  To just jump into motorcycling cold turkey with a V as the first project woul seem to indicate confidence based on prior related experiance.

2002_wrx

Quote from: QBS on August 10, 2010, 06:15:29 PM
Dood, excellent workmanship.  After all your other work, how does it run?  What does your before V mechanical resume include?  To just jump into motorcycling cold turkey with a V as the first project woul seem to indicate confidence based on prior related experiance.

Thanks everyone! Its fun to hear some feedback from people who know how much work these kinda things involve. 

It runs pretty well now.  I when I first bought it, it ran ok for about 50 miles then started having issues.  It would die at idle, bog under acceleration, etc.  The air filter was black and after inspecting the tank I realized a mixture of old Kreem and who knows what was probably starting to clog up the carbs.  My fuel was coming out brown   :-\   It runs pretty well now; plenty of power and stable idle, but still has a bit of a stumble off idle.  I'll probably tear the bike down and do a more thorough restoration this winter and get to cleaning the carbs. 

As for previous mechanical experience: I've worked on cars off and on over the years.  Nothing too technical...  My biggest project was putting a new motor into my 2002 Subaru WRX and dealing with the tuning of a turbocharged engine.  Really I don't know too much about anything - I just rely on intuition, google, and forums like this one to get me through it all.  I find that the majority of the time, mechanical stuff just makes sense when I take it apart and figure it out, then I get creative fixing it.

I'm pretty stoked about this motorcycle - I live in a college town infested with scooters and it feels pretty good to ride my Vision knowing that I spent far less on it than most people have on their 50cc toys.  ;D

QBS

If you're pretty stoked now, just wait till you get it out on the road and start playing with it.  Good running Vs are really wonderful motorcycles.   Take a rider safety course first or you may not live long.  Welcome to the Group.

Night Vision

well done!  know anybody that does seats?   ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

Quoteit might have been a bit overkill, but I ran 2 filters on the first ride to catch anything that could have possibly been loose from cleaning out the tank

Under the circumstances, rather than overkill, I'd say that was cheap insurance.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

2002_wrx

Quote from: Night Vision on August 10, 2010, 09:15:28 PM
well done!  know anybody that does seats?   ;)

I don't...I'm planning on figuring out how to do them soon. 

QBS

Seems like within the last two or three weeks there was a thread about recovering seats.  Maybe someone can direct you to it.  Never the less, seat covering has been addressed numerious times on this Forum.  Perhaps an archival search would prove beneficial.

YellowJacket!

Alan,

Great choice of colors and a beautiful paint job.  You have a fine looking bike there!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)