I picked up...

Started by Tiger, August 15, 2010, 05:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I picked up Paul's Vision on Saturday morning. Its a running '82 that needs some work to get it ready for a safety...(See thread link below).

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12311.0 

I started on her yesterday.....after giving her a wash down, I got the following done, (not in any particular order!!):

1 - Changed engine oil/filter.
2 - Changed rear drive oil.
3 - Changed out the oem fuse box and installed modern 'blade' fuse holders/fuses.
4 - Changed out the left rear signal indicator lens (broken) and straightened the bracket.
5 - Installed new rear back light bulbs.
6 - Installed new air filter.
7 - Made a bracket and moved the R/R to an 'outside' location...(better cooling).
8 - Changed out the stator plug.
9 - 'Bobbed' rear fender and installed a rear license plate holder.
10 - Changed the rear signal indicator stalks for short ones.
11 - Installed new main ground wire.
12 - Top up and charge the battery.
13 - Changed out some of the fasteners, rubber grommets, etc, etc, for new.
14 - Replaced missing  tool box and front tray...(under seat area)
15 - Replaced T C I aftermarket wire connectors with an oem six pin plug.

Decided enough for one day...got to go and get showered and have a beer or three to rehydrate... :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Cdnlouie

If you keep bobbing every Vision you get, there won't be a Vision in Canada fit to ride behind in the rain!  >:( Mow the lawn when you get the urge to cut something  ;D!

Great work in all the other categories though!  ;)

Lucky

or become a Mohel....    ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

considering where i am today , i needed a funny counterpoint to my surroundings, and i just found it ,, Lucky  -- at least two of us find the funny there, maybe others,, but lol,,, never thought to meet one wearing tiger suit!!

had a great uncle in michigan that was a Mohel, and a pretty good gardener too- sold a lot of CUT flowers . lol
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Cdnlouie

Now you both got me rolling on the floor  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tiger will appeciate that one when he catches up later in the day.  It may even generate the most hits today on goggle. 

Rikugun

I think I like the bobbed fender look but the idea "cutting" my fender is giving me the willies now!   :o  :'(
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

:) I think my 'bobbed' fenders are a 'cut above the rest'... :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;) and loosing that extra fender, license plate light and steel underplate 'slashes' the weight...i.e. cuts back on a few pounds!!!

Hey, I didn't start this part of the thread ::) Next.... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Re-Vision

Quote from: Rikugun on August 18, 2010, 09:22:51 AM
I think I like the bobbed fender look but the idea "cutting" my fender is giving me the willies now!   :o  :'(

Ain't no one cutting on my willy, I'll wear it off.

BDC

Tiger

:) FINISHED... 8) Now she is ready for road safety certificate, which she is going for today...

The 'DONE' list:

3 - Changed out the oem fuse box and installed modern 'blade' fuse holders/fuses.
4 - Changed out the left rear signal indicator lens (broken) and straightened the bracket.
7 - Made a bracket and moved the R/R to an 'outside' location...(better cooling).
16 - Replaced front brake pads.
17 - Serviced front brake caliper.
18 - Repacked front wheel bearings.
19 - Replaced left side handle bar switch.
20 - Replace signal indicator sensor.
21 - Replaced the oem headlight bulb with a halogen one...better see um!!
22 - Replaced rear brake bar AND hardware.
23 - Replaced handle bars, risers, headlight bracket & top triple tree for a bead blasted/repainted set.
24 - Checked steering head bearings.
25 - Replaced the rad fan fuse holder/fuse.
26 - Replaced frayed choke cable.
27 - Replaced spark plugs, wires & caps.
28 - Clean TCI ground area and ring connector.
29 - Replace idiot light bulbs.
30 - Fix oil light..bad connection.
31 - Replace bent clutch lever.
32 - Reroute clutch cable.
33 - Remove, clean and lube throttle twist grip.
34 - Replace handle bar grips.
35 - Top up coolant fluid.
36 - Replace front, weather cracked tire.
37 - Replaced the YIC's unit and plug the ports.
38 - Installed in-line gas filter.
39 - Installed lower battery cover (MIA!!).
40 - Check tire pressures.

I may have forgotten one or two other things that were done...memory isn't one of my strong points anymore...LOL.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

QBS

Tiger

:) Good, thank you Q... 8)

h2olawyer

Great job, Tiger!  It's amazing how you find so many Vs to refurbish / restore.  Truly inspirational.   8)

Quote from: Lucky on August 17, 2010, 11:52:35 PM
or become a Mohel....    ;)
(funny post!)

Remember the SNL skit in the back of the Mercury?   :D ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

Anyone notice how educational this site is? Before this post, I didn't even know how to spell Mohel.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

Tiger must be superman.

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on August 20, 2010, 11:59:11 PM
Tiger must be superman.

:) No, not really one for keeping my knickers on outside my pants Q...LOL...but he is Canadian 8)

:) She passed the safety with flyin' colours. So we now have another road ready Vision/Visionary raring to go...(Paul just has to sort out his insurance and license plates)...Welcome to the team Paul... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Cdnlouie

Congrats! Make sure you try and post that dandy little fuse centre (pics) you put together with those fancy connectors.  That was as "simple and sweet" a layout as I have ever seen  :angel:.  I really like your thinking "outside the fusebox idea."  If those connectors are not a million dollars a piece  ::) they are one of the neatest little methods to change out a fusebox and get updated wiring.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on August 20, 2010, 07:46:29 AM
:) FINISHED... 8) Now she is ready for road safety certificate, which she is going for today...

The 'DONE' list:

16 - Replaced front brake pads.
17 - Serviced front brake caliper.
18 - Repacked front wheel bearings.
19 - Replaced left side handle bar switch.
20 - Replace signal indicator sensor.
21 - Replaced the oem headlight bulb with a halogen one...better see um!!
22 - Replaced rear brake bar AND hardware.
23 - Replaced handle bars, risers, headlight bracket & top triple tree for a bead blasted/repainted set.
24 - Checked steering head bearings.
25 - Replaced the rad fan fuse holder/fuse.
26 - Replaced frayed choke cable.
27 - Replaced spark plugs, wires & caps.
28 - Clean TCI ground area and ring connector.
29 - Replace idiot light bulbs.
30 - Fix oil light..bad connection.
31 - Replace bent clutch lever.
32 - Reroute clutch cable.
33 - Remove, clean and lube throttle twist grip.
34 - Replace handle bar grips.
35 - Top up coolant fluid.
36 - Replace front, weather cracked tire.
37 - Replaced the YIC's unit and plug the ports.
38 - Installed in-line gas filter.
39 - Installed lower battery cover (MIA!!).
40 - Check tire pressures.

I may have forgotten one or two other things that were done...memory isn't one of my strong points anymore...LOL.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

I think everyone should print this out and use it as a standard restoration checklist.  :-)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: Cdnlouie on August 21, 2010, 10:37:50 AM
Congrats! Make sure you try and post that dandy little fuse centre (pics) you put together with those fancy connectors.  That was as "simple and sweet" a layout as I have ever seen  :angel:.  I really like your thinking "outside the fusebox idea."  If those connectors are not a million dollars a piece  ::) they are one of the neatest little methods to change out a fusebox and get updated wiring.

:) Sorry, no pictures ::) The fuse holders are Posi_Lock, no crimp connectors, a very simple, clean, easy, reliable and tidy method of changing out those old oem fuse boxes. No special tools required. Install in seconds... 8)

Cut your wires to length, bare the ends a 1/4" inch, slip one wire in to the end of the Posi-Lock fuse holder and tighten, do the same with the other wire and...VOILA!!!

Posi_Lock connectors all meet or exceed: Salt spray test, Immersion & splash tests, dust/sand/gravel bombardment tests, Mechanical vibration tests and temperature tests 8)
They are four times stronger than crimp connectors, reusable & reconnectable, high temp' & chemical resistant. Posi_Lock make a range of connectors... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Rikugun

QuoteThe fuse holders are Posi_Lock, no crimp connectors

These are individual connections rather than integrated into a fuse box?

Pictures would be nice, do you not have a camera?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

Quote from: Rikugun on August 22, 2010, 10:22:17 AM
QuoteThe fuse holders are Posi_Lock, no crimp connectors

These are individual connections rather than integrated into a fuse box?

Pictures would be nice, do you not have a camera?

:) Yes, to both of your questions... ;)

Try this link... http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117&products_id=329

...and/or Google Posi_Lock fuse connectors for more information.

8).......TIGER....... 8)