News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

To All Newbies

Started by Re-Vision, August 16, 2010, 09:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

As I've stated before, I would like to hear from all Newbies as to where they are located, age, and what they are riding or hope to ride. Noticed several Newbies who haven't posted or left us with any information about themselves. Come on in and test the waters, posting appears kind of slow right now and new thoughts will be appreciated.    BDC

Tiger

:) I have to agree with the sentiment behind this post.

In your profile, (which is common reading space), can you please include your location...

You just need to include the town/city you live, (and the country). You do not need to show your postal address, telephone number, etc!!
We can then let you know if there is a Visionary near to your location that could be a mentor and/or a riding buddy...if you want one of course!!

In your avatar: The year and country of origin of your Vision will be a lot of help to getting the right answers for your problems. Any mods may also help... :-\

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: Re-Vision on August 16, 2010, 09:35:45 AM
As I've stated before, I would like to hear from all Newbies as to where they are located, age, and what they are riding or hope to ride. Noticed several Newbies who haven't posted or left us with any information about themselves. Come on in and test the waters, posting appears kind of slow right now and new thoughts will be appreciated.    BDC

Okay, I'll bite.   I've been reading the FAQs and other helpful tips on the website for almost 2 years now but, duh, finally figured out how to access the forums, set up an account, and post not too long ago, and this is my first post.  About me: just turned 59, riding since I was 14, was out of it for a couple of decades (raising kids) and got my first current bike to get back into riding in summer 2006 (my Guzzi), and a couple years later I started collecting a bigger stable (the Guzzi was down for a major repair and I was going thru motorcycle withdrawal, not a pretty sight - didn't want that to happen again, so, must! always have at least 2 good-running bikes in the household at all times....  I put about 10,000 mi/yr on my bikes all together, on local errands, travelling to appointments around the region, and backroad twisties for fun.  I'm partial to sport-standard-type seating, handlebar and footpeg arrangement (too old for a racing crouch, too sporty for a laid-back cruiser) and so the Vision naturally came to my attention, and in November 2008 I bought The Grey Ghost cheap on Ebay.

She had a leak in the front right corner of the gas tank (I assume this is a common ailment due to the tank shape on Visions) and the PO had taken off the carbs to rebuild but never put them back on.   Fortunately the cardboard box that came with the non-running bike included all the carb and airbox parts needed, and I soon had her back up and running well.   The leak I fixed by digging away all the rusted metal and applying JBWeld.   Thanx to the group for the diagrams that assisted in re-routing all the vacuum hoses and fuel lines when I re-installed the carbs.  Also thanx to the group for the warning about the rear brake tie rod bolts (I ordered a set from my local dealer, they are on the way) and the informative site about the TCI box.

I give myself a dumbass award for screwing up the TCI box not once, but twice, most recently a couple days ago (which is what got me looking at the forum again).   Both times I think it was due to letting my battery get low on water and eventually die in the middle of a ride.  I now understand that when a battery is on its last legs, the alternator and R/R work much harder to pump more juice into the dying battery, and when the battery finally goes, it sends a shockwave of excess voltage thru the bike's electrical system, frying components.   First time this happened over a year ago, I blew several fuses, fried the left (front) coil and the front cyl. function of the TCI, couldn't get it started and ordered a tow.   But once I got home and plugged in new fuses and a battery, it let me limp along on the rear cyl. only.   Ordered a new (used) TCI off Ebay, and all was fine for awhile.  Second time (double dumbass) I knew the battery was low because the bike had been sitting for awhile waiting for the rear brake link parts, but I wanted to take it for a short ride just to keep things working, and to charge up the battery by putting on some miles after a jump-start from my car.   Bad idea - same thing happened, the weak battery gave out about 6 miles from home and fried the TCI again.  I think both coils are okay, but neither cylinder would fire.  Fortunately, I still had the old TCI box with me, plugged it in and limped home on the rear cylinder.   Now am trying to figure out what to do next.  A couple of local riders stopped to ask if I needed help while I was stranded by the side of the road, and one of them even gave me his card and said he'd like to buy it.   I'm tempted.   But maybe I should fix her up first... and ride some more...

Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja

Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision US
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja

Re-Vision

Glad you showed up Mike. You have a nice list of bikes, I've never had a Sabre but have lusted for one since they first came out. Keep your Vision and I'm sure we can locate a TCI for you, besides what does one bike more or less do to your stable.    BDC

nawstin

I'm new as well! Just picked up my first motorcycle last weekend, a 1982 Vision with most of the mods listed on this site (updated airbox, YICS removed, so on and so forth). The previous owner turned me onto the forum and I'm very glad he did! I've always wanted a real motorcycle and have ridden dirt bikes and had a scooter (87 Elite 150 Deluxe) for commuting for a while and I love my XZ550 so far! It was really hard to start and didn't like idling when I got it but after a little tweaking and tuning I've got it starting easily and running great. I haven't had much time to ride it though as it's been taken apart all week because I'm in the middle of painting it. Used to be purple/blue and now going red! It had a pretty paint job before but it was old and chipped/cracked/scratched.
Anyway I'm in Austin, TX going to college at the University of Texas. Anyone else around these parts?

Nick
1982 XZ550 RJ with a bunch of the mods y'all recommend.
1997 BMW 318ti

Re-Vision

Glad you finally posted Nawstin, first noticed you a few days ago and that you listed Austin,TX as your location. Think you make fifth of us from Texas but we're well scattered out. Bought an eighty-two parts bike in Austin about a year ago for a hundred bucks, you probably wont have any trouble locating parts if you should need them.  Welcome aboard.    BDC

YellowJacket!

Mike,

Tiger has a TCI listed for sale in the swap shop.  80.00.  I've bought lots of things from tiger and he wil not disappoint you.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

JoeyZ

Hi I am new here and just purchased a 1983 Vision with 11,000 miles on her. The only thing it needs is the gas tank pin hole leak to be repaired. I has pur-15 in the tank now. I am thankful for all those who have come before me to write about and tell us about what to do in case of. That is one of the reasons I purchased this bike, as so many wonderful fact filled post to look over.

Re-Vision

Congrats on being here as well as getting an eighty-three V, haven't had to deal with a bad gas tank yet. I've picked up a couple of eighty-threes recently and hope to get at least one up and running before too long. Reason I enjoy being here is that a lot of useful info is shared and this is a pretty nice bunch of guys who don't seem to mind (too much)answering questions you know they've heard many times before. For the money invested, I think the V is a great ride and buy.  Welcome again JoeyZ.    BDC

Raj1988

JoeyZ , your vision looks like its an 82 mate
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

JoeyZ

Quote from: Raj1988 on August 28, 2010, 07:14:01 PM
JoeyZ , your vision looks like its an 82 mate

Yes you are correct. It is according to the title. I was told it was a 83. But all is well, as I love the bike.

ceme24

I'll be next.  I am 38 and just bought my first bike, a 1982 Vision.  We live in northeast Ohio and I believe the bike originated in Illinois.  I will get some pictures up in a while.  It's been laid down at least once.  The gas tank has a pretty good ding in it.  It runs great.  The prior owner purchased it as a project.  He replaced the engine, re-built the brakes and basically gave it an overhaul.  It has 11,350 miles on it.  The prior owner did put on a round headlight and a different set of handlebards which are more straight, thus bringing the rider a bit more forward.  I really enjoy it. 

I have the original engine which did run when he got the bike, but the other engine was better, and I have all the original parts relative to the handlebars and light.

One day I may do something with the tank as it has some outside surface rust as well, but for now I just plan to enjoy it.  This looks like a great site and forum.  I am glad I found it.

I am not the best mechanic so I plan to lurk around here, maybe make some local contacts, and just learn.
CE
1982 Vision

Re-Vision

I'm sure glad I started this thread, I always look at the Guests and Users on line before reading new posts and it surprised me at the guest to user ratio. I reckoned that if the current ROV'ers make for good conversation, new blood would just make it better. Take a picture of your bike for us. We've all seen dented tanks before, matter of fact I have a few lying around my garage. Always enjoy looking at headlight and handlebar mods. Look forward to hearing more from you and getting to know you and all the other new guys that had been lurking around as guests. Welcome to ROV land (Hope I don't sound like a Walmart greeter).   BDC

Habs9121

I am new here...I am a 20-year-old college student and proud new owner of my first bike, a silver '82 V with 9900 miles, living just outside of Albany, NY.

mdskinner731

hello to all greetings from central ny!!! 20 years young  ;D
the good!!
   1982 yamaha vision 3300 miles!!!   :o
   1982 yamaha vision with just under 15000 miles... parts hmm.. (my guess is the starter clutch went)
working on getting the vision frame powder coated and the fairings repainted

the bad :'(
   NOT 1 but i have been blessed with 2 visions that the great state of NY cant/wont produce titles for
SO... thanks to NightVision i now hold in my possesion a '83 frame with a title!!!

"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Spade2s

Just purchased my first bike, an 1982 Vision with 35000 km.  Have until July to get it running and to learn how to ride (graduated licencing runs out and I would have to start all over again).  Only taken a few rides but love the Vision.  I have a couple electrical gremlins to sniff out and the bike loves to stall coming up to a stop sign.  Hit the clutch, stalls out, and impossible to get started again.  Can't wait to test my mechanical knowledge and it looks like there is lots of expertise out there.

Later

Re-Vision

Glad to hear new voices. What I like about this site is how you can ask questions and get lots of effort from ROV'ers trying to provide the best answers and not putting anyone down because of ignorance or errors. Welcome aboard!     BDC

mrbojangles

Hwy guys my Names Josh Im 24 live in Lansing,Mi and have an 82 vision with 18,000 on it. I bought the bike for 700 bucks with really no problems at all. Only reason I havent posted here is because you guys are like an encloypedia any question I have has already been answered. Thanks for all the help guys.

QBS

mrbo, at 18k miles you might consider studying up on starter clutch reattachement.

CasaJones

I've been a member of ROV for a few years but still feel very much like a newbie. 

I'm in Sugar Land, Texas.  Just outside of Houston on the SW side.  Was introduced to the Vision by a friend of mine a few years ago. 

I have 2 '82 Visions.  One is sorta rideable, the other is in pieces.  I'm working on both.
Bought the first 82 from him so he could buy an 83.   Found another '82 that runs but wouldn't stay in 2nd gear so I bought an '83 engine in Austin.  The goal is to make the second one the keeper.   

This sight is awesome!

Robert Jones
2- red 82 xz550s --- they're twins!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson