what from ELECTREX?????

Started by lecco, November 04, 2003, 07:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S. Yoshimura

Why is everyone stuck on using Electrex parts? I have replaced my Electrex RR and stator with a Rick's Electric part from Dennis Kirk. It has been working perfectly since I changed a few months ago. The RR is identical to the stock Vision units. The parts are also a little cheaper than the Electrex parts.

RussD

Do you have a Vision also Yoshi? I'm assuming you do....Just curious as we apparently have some unique charging needs.
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

S.YOSHIMURA

I have had the same Vision that I bought new in 1983. It has about 50,000 mile on it. I 'am on my third replacement stator and 2nd replacement voltage regulator/rectifier.

Lucky

The reason we're going with Electrex, (at least from my point of view) is that they have been very responsive to our questions, their tech department in general is very easy to reach & understanding, they have a good reputation, and they are willing to work with us on an upgraded part.  

Honestly, I have no experience with Ricks parts, but the 2 emails & one phone call i've made to them in the past year & a half have gone unanswered..

I'm not dissing Ricks, I'm just going with what I know...

If your on your third stator & second R/R, and no reason to think you won't have to do one or both asgain, doesn't that make you wonder if a better alternative is possable?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

If you read Yoshimura's first post again, I think he had Electrex stator and R/R before he went to Rick's. It will be good to see how he does with the Rick's. I just got a stock stator on ebay for $60, tested good when I received it. My original is still going though but you never know.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

I just installed  my new  Eletrex stator and  a Kawasaki  GPZ  R/R  and man does that thing charge ! With the old one, the diode monitor  woiuld blink  when ever I used the turn signals . Theres no blinking now ! My lights are better too! I haven't had time to put a meter on it  , maybe this weekend.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RussD

Just an update........checked my confirmation # today, and the r/r & stator apparently haven't made it to Electrex yet. Last update they had was when it left Cincinnatti last Saturday.

'82 Vision (Sold???)

lecco

I was in historical bike market saturday and bought the 1982 Motociclismo magazine, with XZ test on.
Tester wrote: "It has some difficoulties on stating the engine when cold...".

Mine does very much, it helps to push battery down quikly and toghether with generetor r/r problems drive me crazy:

QUESTIONS ARE:
1 what's the proper starter strategy on our bike?
2 is there anything to fix/change in order to avoid the starter difficoulties? (as different spark plugs...)
3 Does the elettrical gasoline pump need some seconds to work properly in time between turn the key and push the button?

ciao Lecco ???

h2olawyer

Hi lecco -

Each Vision sems to have its own starting strategy. ?Some need no throttle at the first start of the day and others - like mine - need about half a twist of the throttle. ?Also, the choke lever use varies on mine - as the air temp cools down, I use more choke. ?You need to try different strategies to discover what works best for your bike.

The way to get the Vision to start best is to have very clean carbs and make sure your charging system is working at top efficiency.

Do you have an aftermarket electrical fuel pump? ?As far as I know, all Visions came with a vacuum fuel pump. ?It starts operating with the first turns of the starter. ?If you are having fuel starvation problems when you first try to start it, try turning the petcock to "Prime" before starting. ?When its running, turn it back to "Run" or "Res".

Hope this helps some!
Rob
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Mine starts fine down to 45 deg,F   I give it full choke , turn the petcock to "pri"  and crank it with the throttle closed untill it fires ,usually fairly quickly. Below 40 deg.F, I jump it from my car battery and it fires up immediately
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

lecco

yes, it is true! thanks to a car battery connection the v starts easy. So What is the solution when i am cable and car less? Slopes helps me a lot.

Still waiting for Ritzo news, as I am really tempted to order the standard G7 please try convince me i have to wait.

Ciao Lecco

Lucky

Nothing new from Electrex, I'm guessing they should have the old parts soon, and also waiting on oil teperature data from Rick to get to Electrex.

I think it'll be a while till they have a new part ready, so you might want to go ahead and order the standard G7.  they have a 1 year warrenty, so even if it fails, you should be covered. i'm guessing if that happens, they would have no problem exchanging the bad part for the upgraded one...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

After rereading the above postings I thought of this tip.  If the problem occures only if the bike has been sitting for more than a week, begin your starting drill by making sure there is at least a gallon and a half of gas in the tank.  Put the petcok on prime position.  Tap the carb bowls lightly with a long screw driver or similar length tool.  Wait three minutes.  Put choke on full.  Crank with a strong battery.

The above procedure is only needed if the bike has been sitting a while.  Otherwise the bike should start from cold just by the choke and the strong battery.  Cheers.

lecco

wow.... man!!!! this is the good news i was waiting for.....,something like.... you know, when You know the information but it is not recorded in your Hard disk..... I mean I knew about 1 year warranty, but I did not do the brain connection....
thanks Man I will do G/ and (hope) ride happy

Lecco

RussD

I just checked on the status of the parts again, and they were delivered & signed for by an A. Flores on Saturday the 15th at just past 1:00.

'82 Vision (Sold???)

lecco

Tapping the carb bowls and wait 3 mins..... actually, works.... but, with a car battery connected by cables.
I am now waiting for a new electrex G7 :) , so I hope to be able to have a safe "strong battery" on bike allways.
XZ owner manual say right spark plugs are NGK DR8ES-L. ::) Any tip for a better (20 years younger) alternative? ???
Ciao Lecco

Humber

Of course Lecco, Made by NGK or DENSO.. Find IRIDIUM replacement spark for our use. Denso spark is IX24... I can't remember the name of NGK DR8-IX????
nie ma podpis?w

davide Marelli

NGK DR8ES-L the NGK guys say this is the only one.... I feel there's a better spark? Do U try a alternative?

cheers lecco

Rick G

Theres nothing wrong with the DR8ES-L  . The XZ550 is very easy on plugs , they will go several years on a set.
Rick G

lecco

I definetly got a brand new G7 from Electrex UK(115?, 130$). Mekanic fit it and had a good freezing ride sunday, 100KM of nice curves on the lake. Bike start easily cold and hot.

Thanks a lot for being here and push me back on the road!

PS: is 80? (90$) a honest price for replacement of stator G7?