News:

Main Menu

build thread

Started by cpwall, August 17, 2010, 11:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpwall

Finally, almost a year after buying my vision, I'm going to start building it into the streetfighter style bike I have in my head.  I bought the V because I thought it would be a quick turn and the price was right.  After finding this forum, I've decided to keep it and have learned endless amounts from the Vnarys on this site.  Here is a pic of the bike as I bought it.  Since then, besides new tires and a few trips up to the corner store, the bike has sat waiting patiently.  I've gathered up all the missing plastics, got a working speedo, and am ready to start stripping it down and getting to work.  I'll be regularly posting pics of my progress here and would love to hear some feedback. By the way, some background info, I'm 28 years old and live in South Carolina, US.  The bike is a bone stock '82 with about 9000 original miles, complete with 80s pinstriping and a rattle-can black tank.

cpwall

trying to post the pic of the bike when I bought it

Re-Vision

Assume you never found a stock fairing for your bike as I figure the Street Fighter look would be difficult to accomplish with it. Someone will probably jump on me for my opinion about this. Glad to see you keeping the bike and fixing it up the way you want it. Don't know much about S. Carolina except inside Ft Jackson, wasn't my favorite home. Do keep us updated with pictures and nice to have you here.    BDC

cpwall

I did find a couple of fairings, but shipping costs kinda put them out of my price range.  I finally decided to go naked.  On another subject, can anybody tell me the best way to get a kream coating out of the gas tank?

QBS

At 9000 miles it probably needs all the various upgrades.  If you don't know what I'm refering to  please read Luckys' site or ask here.  Looks like a great bike for an easy restoration.

cpwall

ok, made a little progress the other day.  first, all the trim I have accumulated was fit up, just to make sure I'm not missing any thing else:

cpwall

Then, stripped all the paintables off to see what I'm in for frame wise:

cpwall

Today I'm going out to give the frame and motor a good scrubbin', I plan on polishing the aluminum up to a matte, cast-look and hopefully getting the tins primed and ready for paint this weekend.  Then come a fuse box upgrade, front end rebuild, and brakes before I paint and start putting it all back together.  I know the carbs need a good cleaning and syncing, but really they don't look to bad looking down their bore.  I also need to seal the YICS and do the other standard V requirements.

cpwall

Went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and got every thing cleaned up.  Also got all my plastics blocked down and ready for prime.  Gotta do a little bodywork to the tank, so hopefully everything can get primed tomorrow then I'll start on the mechanics. After digging through countless low-budget paint jobs, I think the original color I found on the bike is red.  I would love to hear some ideas from you guys on what color to go with.  Right now I'm leaning toward a blue, and I really like the looks of a new blue I have seen on '09-'10 nissans, kind of an electric color. 

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

cpwall

the wrx blue is a good looking color--not far off from the nissan color I've been thinking about.  I'm heading to the paint store now to see if I can lock down a color and to pick up some primer.  Thanks for your opinion.

Raj1988

good job with the thread mate.... good luck with the rebuild

cpwall

OK, worked on the V about an hour today, started on the tank.  It's in worse shape than I had hoped, about what I expected.  Here's a pic of the tank with some of the bodywork done.  Also a pic of the paint I picked up today.  My son picked it out, 2010 Ford Grabber Blue.  Can't get much brighter, but with no pearl or metallic, I can foresee putting some flake with it to really bring it out.

cpwall

Got everything in primer today, I have to block and reprime the tank.  I also decided to paint the headlight housing blue as well as the lower battery cover, so I'll be priming them on the second tank prime.  So far things are going good.  I also ordered some blue micro flake to complement that grabber blue, give it a little more grab.

cpwall

here's a pic of the flake I have coming

cpwall

went outside to get everything in the shop before the storm, and I couldn't resist a quick mock-up. This is the first time ever that thewhole bike was the same color.

Re-Vision

I know that what to paint or not paint is a personal choice and no one has solicited my opinion but, I sure think the paint lines look a lot better when the battery cover and the lower part of the right side cover below the diamond are left black or painted black. I would like to see a picture of the headlight and how it appears in the overall paint scheme as I don't remember ever seeing one painted before. Just trying to be helpful not critical.    BDC

cpwall

I solicit everyones opinion and appreciate the input.  I'm not sure how the headlight housing's gonna look, or the bottom of the covers, but if it doesn't turn out good it'll only take a few minutes to shoot it in black.  Seeing the side in primer, I think the bottoms will look ok in blue, but we'll see

Raj1988

Bottoms will look nice in Blue.... looking forward to seeing the results cpwall...

How many miles on the engine... any history on the bike and how you got your hands on it?

Rikugun

QuoteI sure think the paint lines look a lot better when the battery cover and the lower part of the right side cover below the diamond are left black or painted black

It's surprising how that affects the look. My bike is black so the contrast between the two parts Re-Vision mentioned and body color are less dramatic giving it a different look than if it were a different color.
I'm not sure which I prefer but it does trick the eye somehow and changes the lines or "shape" of the bike.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan