News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

# 4 is in the house (ok, carport)

Started by Lucky, August 21, 2010, 09:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Walt came up from Florida Thursday, With the red 82 he's been working on here & there, & We purchased it from him for my 16 year old son, Kenny (who i'm sure you'll be meeting soon, under the name of "Spectre", his online gaming name).

We unloaded the bike & rolled it into the carport, it's around 90% complete, just needs some TLC, ok, lots of TLC, lol, but that's where Kennys polishing muscle will come in.

Haven't done much as yet, he's out there in the drizzle right now giving the bike a good scrubbing.  I rebuilt the carbs last night & updated the front carb top, swapped out a few rusty pieces for better looking ones, located some replacement missing pieces on the carb & gave it an eyeball synq

Walt found a melted connector on the stator & said it tested bad, but i double checked it & it's actually within specs.  the cover has to come off to check the usual fixes (walt says it knocks) so i'll give it a visual as well.  The R/R i'm not so sure about...with 2 diferent meters, the diode test passes on one & fails on the other.  i'm going to have to run the diode tests on one of the running bikes & see if i have a bad meter...

Walt left a battery with it that's really just a core but i filled it with straight battery acid & set it on the tender.  i'll give it a couple of days & see if i can't get it to go green.  nothing to lose & it'll help to jump the bike until we pick up a new one.

Tiger I honestly dont know how you turn these things arond in a week or so, it'll take that long just to clean up the engilne, lol...maybe you work at "Gilligan speed" lol

We had a great time meeting Walt, he was obvously tired from the days drive, I smoked a boston roast & we had some dinner & he was on his way to the hotel in the next town.  Your welcome anytime you are in town Walt!

I have some pics to post in the next couple of days, & there is a pad on the right case under the brake pedal i've never seen before either...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

I hated that I had to work and missed out on meeting Walt.  I only have a week left at work so I really need to take a ride over and see what you got cooking over there.  The prospect of a "family Ride" with 5 Visions sounds pretty cool. (especially if they all have MAC exhausts!)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rikugun

Sounds like you two had a nice visit.
You've got me curious about this pad on the right case....It will be interesting to see the pics.

QuoteWalt left a battery ... i filled it with straight battery acid & set it on the tender

I always heard adding acid was a no-no, distilled water only??  Once it's been activated with sulphuric acid when new, adding more would cause it to be "unbalanced"?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on August 21, 2010, 09:48:56 AM

......... I smoked a boston roast & we had some dinner & he was on his way to the hotel in the next town. 

I smoked some Salmon before, but it was hard to keep lit
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

Quotealways heard adding acid was a no-no, distilled water only??  Once it's been activated with sulphuric acid when new, adding more would cause it to be "unbalanced"?

True enough, but this thing looks like it's been dry for a while, so nothing to lose...

QuoteI smoked some Salmon before, but it was hard to keep lit

you have to wrap it in bannana peels, lol

akvision

yeh, we smoke salmon and eat it...  :Pit....
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on August 21, 2010, 09:48:56 AM
Tiger I honestly don't know how you turn these things around in a week or so...

:) Hmmmmm, just like working on a factory production line, of sorts, I suppose. I can just about do half the work in my sleep...LOL

Its really neat to bring them in looking all sad & neglected, show them to other Visionaries, (Canadian_Lou, Kev10104 & Tammy, 'Art, etc ) and then call them back in a couple of weeks to come see the 'new' ride awaiting a new owner. Its purely a labour of love and definitely not profit driven... ;D :D :D... 8)

Let me know if you need anything for spectre's Vision. Happy to help were I can... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

spectre

Quote from: Tiger on August 22, 2010, 07:58:28 AM
Let me know if you need anything for spectre's Vision. Happy to help were I can... ;)
you wouldn't happen to have a spare flux capacitor handy, would you?  :D
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

Quote from: spectre on August 22, 2010, 11:57:37 AM
Quote from: Tiger on August 22, 2010, 07:58:28 AM
you wouldn't happen to have a spare flux capacitor handy, would you?  :D

:) Bugger!!! Just gave the last one to Night_Vision, to install in to a gull wing car he picked up at a yard sale recently... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Bad news.. engines locked up.  :( won't budge thru the access plate on the left.  got some PBlaster in the spark plug holes, but not expecting much...

anyone in the area got an engine?

Re-Vision

I've got one with a broken timing chain, pulled the pistons the other day and one had a broken skirt. If you have a use for this I will let you have it for shipping and your old shims. If you don't go that route I can probably come up with an engine at a reasonable cost.    BDC

Lucky

you can keep yor eyes open for an engine i'd appreciate it, shipping from Tx would kill though.  thanks for the offer on the dead one, but it doesn't sound like what i need..

fret not

Time to open it up and see what the difficulty is.  It MIGHT be something that is easy to fix, but you won't know until you can see it.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!