1982 XZ550RJ Carb Setup Notes From Yamaha 1984 Pg1 Stumbles

Started by dpequip, August 21, 2010, 03:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpequip

Attached are scans of setup notes from a Yamaha Tech Rep. from 1984 when I worked at a Yamaha dealer.  This was straight from the source to solve the stumbles that were a common complaint.
1982 Yamaha Vision Owned Since New.
Mods:Euro Primary Gear set, Euro footpegs & controls, Yamaha 1/4 Fairing, Braided Stainless lines, Forkbrace, Tapered roller bearings in steering, '83 rear Shock

Rikugun

Thanks for sharing this! I have a question now and I'm sure plenty more to follow! What is meant by "disconnect pilot air bleed"? Is this the hose with remote filter at one end on the front carb? If so, I'm guessing this is just for troubleshooting, then reconnect if ok?

I was happy to see a accel pump rod spec included. Also interesting was the item regarding cleanliness of the emulsion tube. Not much has been said about that on the forum that I've seen. QBS did ask of it's function and I think suspected it to contribute to poor driveability.

On the spare set I'm working on, they were quite clean with the exception of one plugged hole on one of them. It will be interesting to see what the ones in my running carbs look like when I eventually tear them down. I have to admit, out of ignorance,I payed them little attention when I first cleaned those carbs.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rikugun

QuoteWhat is meant by "disconnect pilot air bleed"? Is this the hose with remote filter at one end on the front carb? If so, I'm guessing this is just for troubleshooting, then reconnect if ok?
Never mind. Reading subsequesnt posts has given me the answers including one to an un-asked question! That is, why the rear vent is open to the air horn while the front is vented outside the carb.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan