News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

lucky's son

Started by spectre, August 21, 2010, 08:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectre

Hi everyone, I'm glad to say that since thursday, I am an offical visonary :D I'm lucky's son, Kenny, and I'm glad to be a part of the ROV forum now. My dad has already made a topic about the new bike, so I'm not going to get into a lot of detail, but I do want to say thanks to Walt m. for bringing the bike up, and staying for dinner, it was cool to meet you. So the bike is going to need some TLC, there are a few things that needs that need to be gone over, but it's in pretty good shape
It will be good to hear from you guys  ;)
-spectre

1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Re-Vision

Kenny, I personally like the red Visions and I recently got one that appears to be in about the same condition as yours. Noticed that carbs are not presently mounted, do you have a set? You certainly have great potential with the bike and I know we all want to see you enjoying riding it. Keep us informed on your progress.    BDC   

The Prophet of Doom

Spectre: Son of Lucky.  It sounds like the title of a horror movie.
Welcome to the forum

spectre

haha, I should have known one of you guys would see that  ;) i do have a set, they're just not mounted yet, dad (lucky i guess :P  ) pet them back together, end synced (sp?) them by eye, haven't had a chance to mount them yet, hopefully soon, but there are many more things that have to be done, so we will see.

That sounds scary huh? imagine the fear my dad will have when I FIRST ride my vision XD

Re-Vision

Quote from: spectre on August 21, 2010, 11:25:25 PM

That sounds scary huh? imagine the fear my dad will have when I FIRST ride my vision XD

Glad that you are aware of the fear that dad may have, ride sensibly with care and don't give parents any unnecessary reasons to worry about you. Reason I questioned you about carbs was when I bought an 83 in MO the other day I was given an extra 82 carb that he had. Will you be able to ride legally at sixteen?    BDC

fret not

Hi Spec, this is a pretty good bunch here, and a lot of older guys among the "crew" as well as several closer to your age.  I'm 65 now and as I look back at my youth and my first bike and all the places and situations I got into and mostly out of, I would like to impart a bit of perspective.  The thrill of riding is undeniable but control is your responsibility, always.  Understand the concept of DEFENSIVE DRIVING.

I am amazed that I survived my youth, I knew several friends over the years that didn't survive.  I was 18 when I got my first real motorcycle, a Ducati, and an older friend told me that I was taking too many chances.  The way he put it was  "you are being held up by the hand of God, so what are you gonna do when He has to scratch His a$$?"   For those that want/need to test themselves against the machine and road, go to the race track and go to a racing school.  If speed is not your thing at least focus on Defensive Driving.  They have a saying about pilots, "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots."  That's us now.  Don't get me wrong, there is still a place for spirited riding when conditions allow but it is tempered by age and experience now.  I thought maybe you can benefit from the experience of others so you don't have to learn the hard way, and there is a LOT of experience on this site.  Probably you will learn some stuff the hard way anyway, but hopefully not too hard.

We all hope all you younger riders get to be older too.  Congratulations on your "new" bike, it is destined to be a fairly rare classic so keep it nice and enjoy it all along the way.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Tiger

:) spectre, hi and welcome to the ROV forum...that you have practically grown up with... ;D :D ;)

Enjoy the adventure of being a new rider AND a Visionary... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

I'll bet your dad told you some lame story about how your Vision looks way better than his when he bought it...

right?

welcome aboard and don't be afraid to ask questions... Dads can forget stuff 'ya know
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

I just noticed the avatar - World's second fastest Vision. With no carbs!? Is your dad gonna pull you around behind his? Come on Lucky, let him have his carbs!  ;D

Welcome to the group Kenny!  ;
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

spectre

I appreciate the replies guys, Re-vision, thanks for the offer, it's amazing how people I don't even know already want to help out  ;) and to answer your question, I can get my M endorsement at 16 here (score!) Fret nut, I appreciate your concern, I will be taking the MSF course, wearing all my gear, and maybe even taking a defensive driving course. I realize that it's not a matter of IF you go down, it's WHEN. I do have some prior experience as well, which I know my dad has showed you the ("cute" in his words) pocket bike that me and him repaired frame off. eventually I traded that for a 110cc pit/dirt bike, IMO perfect for learning shifting and muscle memory. Then, the ninja, enough said :P
NV, I'm 100% sure he wanted to say something like that but he settled for "your bike is in about the same condition as mine was." sure dad ;D And thanks for the welcome tiger and Rikugun!

Walt_M.

Hi Kenny, you have been busy. There is no way I would have thought that tank could actually shine! I will see if I can find the airbox when I get home and get it in the mail.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

engines locked up.  :( won't budge thru the access plate on the left.  got some PBlaster in the spark plug holes, but not expecting much...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

Happy for you Kenny  ;)... and here's hoping for that "locked situation" to resolve itself shortly  :-\.  Is this a corrosion issue? Not certain about a good technique (other than the penetrant) if that is the situation, but possibly a bit of heat around the cylinder area might not hurt to get some metal movement happening in each cylinder.  The lower exhaust side is the best focus for some heat as it is most likely to have the corrosion from moisture collection there.  Using the rear wheel to rock the bike in gear may be the best way to get some gentle pressure on the piston.  A serious workout routine though...

Here's hoping...

Lucky

nope, it ran 5 min or so while we attempted to set the synq & pilots & locked up to instant stop.

Lucky

now Walt did tell me it had a knock, but we were all figuring it was probably starter clutch.  i didn't have it running long enough/well enough to diagnose it.

Walt, you drained the oil after running it, i assume looking for metal? did you find any?  i haven't pulled the filter yet, but we did pull the engine tonight.

anyone in the area have a running engine or a good cheap salvage yard in the area?

QBS

Before issuing a death certificate make certain that the starter clutch is not what's locking up the engine.  How many miles on the bike?

Lucky

I will, but the engines already out..

Rikugun

Sorry to hear about that. I read the other thread but didn't know you had it running or the pre-knowledge of the knock. That doesn't sound promising.  :(
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Cdnlouie

Sorry to hear about that too... :( you know the usual possiblities in this scenario but a quick check of the cam chains throught the tensioner access is a good idea (to see if they are still intact) or as the engine is now removed you can just as easily remove the valve covers.  Tiger had a similar situation with one of his engines this summer and his is no doubt a broken tensioner from some mishap in the past.  After almost 30 years (which is amazing) a few of these Visions are getting to the place where their engines will need the top ends torn down and repaired. Hopefully an economical fix is doable.

Night Vision

so I guess we call you  :'( "unLucky" now  ???

what?                .you were expecting no gremlins with your Vision?
                                      ....   silly boy  ....

.... you just have a bigger gremlin than most others... that's all.

CdnLouie is right... it's about time someone posted a rebuild how to

what a wonderful opportunity for a young boy and his Dad to bond over  :)

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano