Vision Newbie: Having issues, Please Help!

Started by 2002_wrx, September 03, 2010, 12:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2002_wrx

Hey guys,  
    So I've had my Vision for a month or two now and its starting to have issues.  Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what might be failing.  Symptoms include difficulty starting occasionally but not frequently with a clanking noise (starter clutch?), and the bike will often will die upon idle.  Right now it won't start up at all...it will just turn over, and over, and over...Its left me stranded twice now and is becoming less sporadic - nearly every time I go anywhere it stalls out and has trouble starting back up.  

Could this possibly be due to just a weak battery?  I havn't had the time/resources to check things out much.  Just some history on the bike: the stator has recently been replaced, everything had been working great up until I let it sit for two weeks when I was out of town, even then it started up and rode fine for a couple days. I recently cleaned out and recoated the fuel tank with POR15...there was a little rust coming thru the fuel when I originally bought the bike, but now it is as clean as can be.  I think if the carbs were seriously gummed up I would have had problems when the fuel was dirty...  :-\

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.  Its stuck in my school's parking lot and won't start... Thanks in advance everyone

Tiger

:) "there was a little rust coming thru the fuel when I originally bought the bike"... prior to POR_15...Hmmmmmmmmm...Did you, or do you, have an in-line fuel filter fitted between the petcock and the carbs ?? I'm betting your carbs need cleaned mate ;)

Remove the gas tank, airbox and the tops of the carbs...That will give you some indication of the state your carbs in.

There is a good chance that your starter clutch will need 'fixing' too...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

2002_wrx

Quote from: Tiger on September 03, 2010, 03:30:29 PM
:) "there was a little rust coming thru the fuel when I originally bought the bike"... prior to POR_15...Hmmmmmmmmm...Did you, or do you, have an in-line fuel filter fitted between the petcock and the carbs ?? I'm betting your carbs need cleaned mate ;)

Remove the gas tank, airbox and the tops of the carbs...That will give you some indication of the state your carbs in.

There is a good chance that your starter clutch will need 'fixing' too...

8).......TIGER....... 8)

There was an inline fuel filter installed prior to me working on the bike, and I put in another after the work was performed.  I just ended up pushing the bike home...I don't think it's the charging system as it will keep turning over and over.  I'd probably agree with the carbs needing to be cleaned.  How difficult is this process?  I'm mechanically inclined but have never messed with this before.  Also, I'm imagining that I will need new carb boots as they look pretty weathered (the ones that go from the bottom of the carb to the heads if I remember correctly)  Does anyone know where to find these?

As for the starter clutch - is that just replacing/tightening the 3 bolts...i read about that somewhere on the forums. 
Thanks for the help

Rikugun

Quotethere was a little rust coming thru the fuel when I originally bought the bike

And that was with a filter installed. The gravity feed/low pressure filter typically used on our bikes have the line slip over barbs and secured with a clamp. This type stops (in carb terms) what is equivalent to boulders, letting the river jack gravel pass through. 

WRX, you did a good thing by using the POR 15 to eliminate the rust problem. However, the accumulation of fine particles that allready passed through the filter may be part of your problem. There are many possible reasons why it's not running. I don't know the history of the bike and what's been done, but it couldn't hurt to have the carbs gone through.

Here's a link for stater clutch repair http://www.xz550.com/starterclutch.html

Maybe someone knows of more? Also a search on the forum will produce a wealth of info.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

akvision

Most likely, you will have to rebuild and clean the carbs... all the passages have to be clean.clean.clean.
It is a job, and needs to be done with care and method.  Get the manual and go slow.  There are rebuild kits available
Best wishes.. we all have done it before..

akv
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Indy1K

WRX,
I echo what all have said. Get the kits. Get the service manual. most important are the 3 jets, the accelerator nozzle circuit and the emulsion tube in each carb. I strip each down to bare bones and start cleaning out passageways. then replace all the jets with correct size as what came out. If you have trouble with the accelerator circuit or emulsion tube removal read the cant sync carb thread. It helped me get her going. Dont forget your sparkplugs. I was also battling a dead cylinder as evidenced by a cold pipe in front.
Good luck
Kev
"That's It!

Indy1K
82 XZ550 nasty sick green, built from junk
2 83 CB1000 customs, both are broke

2002_wrx

Alright guys, I pulled the carbs off last night to have a go at them.  Under quick inspection, I noticed several things.  I don't know the first thing about carburetors yet (I've only ever worked on fuel injected car engines haha) so I'm trying to learn older technology. 
     Where the fuel comes out when viewed from the top of the carb (where air comes in thru the air box)...they look like little brass spigots..what is the technical name for these?  Are these the jets?  Also - fuel was only coming out of the 2nd carb when I turned the throttle.  I'm assuming its supposed to spray out of both?  It also came out in a straight stream of fuel.  Is it supposed to have a spray pattern of any sort, or just come out like that? I'm guessing that whatever these things are, they're clogged up. 
    Sorry for the incredible newb questions - but thanks for the help.   

Re-Vision

The brass spigots are Accelerator Pump Nozzles. Both should spray a cone of fuel when the throttle is twisted. Pilot jets are located on bottom side of float bowls. Main jets are located on left sides of carburetors towards the lower front.  Pilot air screw is the brass seen when looking down the card throats. More simply put, what you were thinking was correct.    BDC

2002_wrx

Thanks so much.  Looks like I have some cleaning to do  :)

Is there anywhere that sells the intake boots (ones going from the bottom of the carbs into the cylinders) for a somewhat reasonable price?  Any chance I could use some from a similar bike ei: yamaha maxim?  I figure its a long shot but I'd like to replace them while I'm at it

Re-Vision

2002_wrx

I called the shop that sells them and they said they couldn't get hold of any.  Guess I'll just try to re-use the old ones unless anyone else knows where to buy them.  Yamaha wanted about 80$ for each one :o

Any trick to removing the accelerator pump nozzles?...I can't get them out for the life of me.

Indy1K

I used Lucky's recommendation.
A small vice grip, a little wiggle to the left and a little wiggle to the right and out they come!
Just be careful you don't mangle the S#*T out of em.
Cleanthem real good with carb cleaner and a piece of fishing line or a stylette of some type. If you crack the solder on one of the nozzles(like I did) alittle solder and a mini torch or goos soldering iron makes it good as new.
The emulsion tubes are a beast too!
Regards,
Kevin ;D
"That's It!

Indy1K
82 XZ550 nasty sick green, built from junk
2 83 CB1000 customs, both are broke

Tiger

Quote from: 2002_wrx on September 16, 2010, 11:12:25 PM
I called the shop that sells them and they said they couldn't get hold of any. 

:) Do you want me to ask ?? I don't mind...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

2002_wrx

Tiger - I think I'm just going to use the old boots..they still look pretty good inside so Im just going to coat the outsides in a sealant. Thanks for the offer.

I have the carbs torn down a bit - they are currently soaking in a bucket of yamalube carb cleaner. It's working wonders.  Still havnt removed the acc. Pump nozzles but will probably do so if I still can't get a spray thru them.  I couldn't believe how dirty the carbs were inside when I cracked em open haha. Thanks all for the help!

Tiger

Quote from: 2002_wrx on September 20, 2010, 12:50:32 PM
Tiger - I think I'm just going to use the old boots..they still look pretty good inside so I'm just going to coat the outsides in a sealant.

:) Give them a good clean with something like brake & parts cleaner and apply a coat of 'Liquid Electrical Tape', (available at most auto stores/WalMart, etc). Make sure that you work it well in to the cracks, let it dry and apply a second coat...VOILA!!!
Unless they have REALLY bad cracks all the way through, Liquid Electrical Tape will do the trick everytime... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

2002_wrx

That's pretty much what I ended up doing.  I actually dipped them, just so the outsides would be coated, in a type of rubber sealant they sell to coat handles of hammers, tools, etc.  They look practically new and the rubber is soft and flexible without leaks.

Lucky

Ummm... that's stuffs not in the slightest fuel proof...

ask me how I know...  (where's the 'DOH!' smiley??)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

2002_wrx

Uh oh.. ;D

Guess its a good thing they aren't leaking yet.