News:

Main Menu

NZ Earthquake

Started by treedragon, September 03, 2010, 05:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

A very kind offer, thanks Simon.
I'm hoping the Insurance company will cover everything, but they aren't replying to my emails :-(

fret not

It is terribly quiet here, is the infrastructure disturbed in NZ?  That was a big quake and then things got quiet.  I hope you folks are just busy sweeping up a bit, and not terribly damaged.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on November 19, 2016, 12:20:40 AM
It is terribly quiet here, is the infrastructure disturbed in NZ?  That was a big quake and then things got quiet.  I hope you folks are just busy sweeping up a bit, and not terribly damaged.
It was very scary, but far enough North that the only damage we had was that one door no longer closes.  Bike stayed upright :-) which is the main thing. 
My posting is a bit slower than usual as I am not working on the bike much

pinholenz

I'm a couple of hundred kilometers North of the epicentre. We were violently swayed about so that we could not stand. But it was a swaying motion like getting hit from confused wave fronts when you are in a boat. No structural damage here, but after about a minute of this motion my wife commented about how she is so glad New Zealand houses are flimsy so that they just bend and don't break.

Further south  in Wellington and Kaikoura the action was much more violent. Thankfully only two fatalities. Glad to have the Americans, Canadians and other Navy ships visiting us at the time and being able to pitch in with helicopter and transport support for stranded tourists and supply airlifts.

And my bike stayed upright. Had it been on the centre stand I think it would have tipped though.....
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550