Newbie rider almost into an '82 Vision

Started by JAF, September 15, 2010, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAF

I'm new!  As in I've just had my first two adult rides ever on a bike over the last couple weeks. No spills yet but the cul-de-sac was a bit scary with parked cars all lined up around me! About to take the Abate and get into this rebuilt from junk '82 that rides and is 99% complete now. Ive been on it just twice in the neighborhood up to 3rd gear and did pretty good. I'm honored that my first rides are on a Vision! What a great cycle! Ive driven a manual for 16 years so its coming to me pretty quickly. Shifting with the foot is a little weird but its coming. Its amazing this bike once junked is now running so nice for 28 years old! Very thankful to the current owner for getting me into this as a starter. I already see myself keeping this bike for a long while. I cant explain it but from what Ive read you all understand why! The exhaust note is no less than intoxicating.

Feel free to impart pearls of wisdom, advice etc on riding in general and of course this cycle. And yes I saw the post on the rear bolt issue. I'll get with the owner tomorrow about that. Or better yet just do it myself to be sure they are new new.

-JAF

P.S. - I'd also like to get this bike a fairing from an '83 soon. Anyone got one in decent shape on the cheap side of bargain? I still need to get my 1st helmet and some protective gear so some charity will be greatly appreciated. I have yet to find one anywhere online! Thx
JAF
2nd Ride Newbie

Lucky

Welcome, &

Ha Ha HA!  they are nearly unobtanium in one piece, but over time it's possable to aquire all the needed parts...
QuoteP.S. - I'd also like to get this bike a fairing from an '83 soon. Anyone got one in decent shape on the cheap side of bargain? I still need to get my 1st helmet and some protective gear so some charity will be greatly appreciated. I have yet to find one anywhere online! Thx
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kevin

Congratulations and welcome aboard. Take the motorcycle safety course and wear protective gear.

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the ROV family...the best place a Vision can bring its owner...LOL.

Get the best helmet your pocket book can buy...some of the cheap ones can be heavy and noisy. Fit for safety first...colour, graphics, etc, come second.

Keep an eye open here on the ROV as well as eBay, Craig's List, etc. A complete full fairing comes up now and again but they are not generally cheap. Look to pick one up piece by piece over time.

Take the rider course in your area and enjoy your Vision... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

The Very Best way to learn to ride a M/C is to start riding on dirt, with 100cc to 125cc dirt bikes.  I find your comments regarding being concerned with dodging cars in a cul de sac to be very scarey at best and a harbinger of doom at worst.  Get my drift?