News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

wont stay running

Started by 550rs, September 21, 2010, 04:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

550rs

bad stator? hook it up to my car battery(non running) and it starts and idles fine! revs fine, smokes a little, but as soon as i unhook the + jumper it dies..

and, is it at all possible to just refurbish a stator?? or am i crazy

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: 550rs on September 21, 2010, 04:33:56 PM
bad stator? hook it up to my car battery(non running) and it starts and idles fine! revs fine, smokes a little, but as soon as i unhook the + jumper it dies..

More than likely the problem is simply a bad battery.   Have you tested its voltage static/running?  Is is adequately filled with fluid?  How old is it?  Did the problem develop gradually or all of a sudden?

You can also check your stator output voltage while its running with the jumper to the car battery.   Read your manual, or the tech FAQ here.   If it's within spec the problem is your old battery.

Quoteand, is it at all possible to just refurbish a stator?? or am i crazy

If your diagnostics show you really need to do it, yes it is possible, although I hear it's a PITA.   There is a FAQ on the "GS Resources" website (dedicated to early Suzuki GS models) called "The Stator Papers" that has a detailed how-to on rebuilding a stator, re-winding it with wire etc.  Take a look at

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfaq.htm

to get started learning, and, if it turns out you do need to rebuild your stator, take a look at

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorrewind.htm

Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision US
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja

550rs

thanks, it does have an old dead battery but i thought it should still run from the stator output, i had an old yamaha 74 and it ran fine with no battery..

thanks alot im gunna check the stator right now

mraudi

Mine will not run without the battery hooked up. But with the battery in and running it is charging at 14 volts

Tiger

Quote from: 550rs on September 21, 2010, 06:11:04 PM
thanks, it does have an old dead battery but i thought it should still run from the stator output, i had an old yamaha 74 and it ran fine with no battery..

thanks alot im gunna check the stator right now

:) To run electrical checks and/or to run a Vision you MUST have a good battery... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

V TCI boxes don't work below approx. 11 to 10.5 volts at the battery.  Your '70s era Yamaha had a points ignition system and was much less demanding in its' operating voltage.

550rs

thanks guys, new battery solved the problem and its charging it fine, i thought maybe it wouldnt charge the battery so i didnt wanna waste the money, but its all working great.

jasonm.

you cannot charge a dead battery from a running motorcycle engine anymore than you can revive a mummy.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Hartless

i hate dead batteries. they are useless........
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Hartless on September 28, 2010, 05:16:13 PM

If you wanted to see how deep a hole was, you could toss it in...

h2olawyer

Quote from: Brian Moffet on September 28, 2010, 06:57:19 PM
Quote from: Hartless on September 28, 2010, 05:16:13 PM

If you wanted to see how deep a hole was, you could toss it in...

Check for a chain first . . . :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rikugun

QuoteCheck for a chain first . . .

I had no idea what you were talking about...

Until I later read "Tennessee Redneck" and had an "ah -ha" moment.
Well played sir.    :laugh:
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.