Main Menu

Quick question

Started by Shane81, September 24, 2010, 09:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane81

Ok, so I just installed a headlight bracket and now my bike won't start.  It just cranks and I get a little sputter once in a while.  I assumed it was electrical related since all I really messed with was the big wad of wires that I shoved into the headlight housing.  I checked for spark and it seemed fine.  All the fuses were good also.  I did take off the clutch cable and lube and adjust it.  Maybe the neutral safety switch stopped working?  Is that the little plug that sticks into the clutch lever bracket?  It did get oil all over it.  I'm just kinda lost so I thought I would see if anyone else has any ideas. 

Re-Vision

The switch by the clutch lever is the clutch switch. The starter wouldn't turn over if it had a problem. I'd recommend going back into the wiring of your headlight housing and recheck all connections.    BDC

Shane81

OK, a little new info.  I tried to start it in gear and now it jerks forward a little bit and no amount of adjusting the lever will get the clutch to disengage fully.  I'm thinking I can adjust the clutch itself?  Gonna check the manual.  Doesn't seem like that would be my starting issue if it won't start in neutral though.

Re-Vision

Have you looked at both ends of the clutch cable for proper fitting? Its certainly possible to have two problems (mechanical and electrical).    BDC

Shane81

Well.. both ends look like they are hooked up properly, the same as before at least.  I tried every sort of adjustment and nothing made a difference.  Where the cable passes through the grommet there is a bit of movement.  Seems like the grommet should hold the cable secure but the grommet itself moves.  There was a little bit of resistance rolling around with the clutch in before but after I moved the cable it is much worse.  God I hope it's the cable and not fork or plate issue. 

YellowJacket!

Your clutch cable may be mis-routed.  Been there, done that.  8)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Shane81

ok, today i am going to take it out and re route it.  Anyone know where there is a diagram?  I didn't see one in the Haynes manual.  Also when you line up the marks under the bike do you just adjust the freeplay or do you wedge something in there and push it against the spring pressure.

Re-Vision

See if you can read these.  004 and 006 are for fared bikes.   BDC

Shane81

I am not having any luck with either issue.  I rerouted the clutch cable and readjusted to no avail.  I pushed the release arm all the way forward and tried spinning the wheel and there was still a lot of drag.  I guess it's time to tear into the clutch.  It did slip bad one time under hard acceleration.  Anyone got a good source for clutch parts?  On the electrical side I pulled every electrical plug cleaned and sprayed with WD-40.  I snipped the rev limiter wire.  It still has good spark at the plugs but just cranks with not even a sputter.  I tried pouring some gas down the carbs and that didn't work either.  Should I be testing the stator and TCI?  This damn bike is driving me crazy. 

Re-Vision

I have a torn down engine and can likely find whatever you need.     BDC

Lucky

Quote from: Shane81 on September 24, 2010, 09:53:38 PM
Ok, so I just installed a headlight bracket and now my bike won't start.  It just cranks and I get a little sputter once in a while.  I assumed it was electrical related since all I really messed with was the big wad of wires that I shoved into the headlight housing.  I checked for spark and it seemed fine.  All the fuses were good also.  I did take off the clutch cable and lube and adjust it.  Maybe the neutral safety switch stopped working?  Is that the little plug that sticks into the clutch lever bracket?  It did get oil all over it.  I'm just kinda lost so I thought I would see if anyone else has any ideas.  

Ok, Stop.

take this logicly:
if it cranks, & it sputters, then you are getting fire, it's just not catching..

you don't need to take the clutch apart, it's not the clutch cable, in fact it has nothing to do with the clutch.

first thing, it sounds like what these bikes do when the battery is weak or the starter is full of oil.  although you were in the headlight bucket, these are unrelated, but i've often said that don't assume you are only diagnosing one problem at a time...

--first off go thru every connection in the headlight & make sure they are in clean & tight.  you may have them routed in such a manner that turning the bars pulled a connection loose. been there, done that.

--Second, put a meter on the battery & make sure you have at least 10volts WHILE CRANKING.  if not, charge the battery or jump off a NON RUNNING car.

--Be aware that every vision 'chokes' differently when cold. you have to find the procedure that works best for you.  if the bike hasn't been started in a while, put the bike on the side stand, & the petcock on "prime" for 2-3 min before attempting to start the bike.  fuel evaporates from the bowls, you need to refill them before stsrting.

Try this then report back.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Shane81

Ok I just rechecked all the wiring and it's good.  The battery has 12.5 sitting and 10.5 while cranking.  I used the jumper cables anyway and it made no difference.    By pouring gas down the carbs I can get it to run for a few seconds.  I noticed when I pulled off my inline filter the gas looked orange.  The inside of my tank looks shiny and spotless where I can see but who knows what the bottom is like.  I have been running a little seafoam through every tank, just a couple ounces each time, maybe that loosened up some rust.  I've tried running off a funnel and thats not working.  I also drained the float bowls and sprayed them with carb cleaner.  I am guessing I need to thoroughly clean the carbs.  Sound right to you guys?

Tiger

Quote from: Shane81 on September 30, 2010, 05:47:22 PM
...I am guessing I need to thoroughly clean the carbs.  Sound right to you guys?

:) Yep, you guessed right buddy... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

Yes, clean the carbs but 10.5V while cranking is below voltage to fire the TCI.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Shane81

would this lead you to believe that I also have oil in my starter? 

Tiger

Quote from: Shane81 on October 01, 2010, 01:38:50 PM
would this lead you to believe that I also have oil in my starter? 

:) A starter full of oil will mean the starter turns veeeeery slooooow or not at all...Your battery is low and needs to be fully charged... or replaced.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Shane81

Victory!!  I was looking at the carb and noticed the throttle plates looked like they were open farther than normal so I adjusted the cable and it fired right up!  Man I feel kinda dumb for overlooking that but I am so happy I'm not going to park a mile away from campus and hike to class this week.  Thanks guys