News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

thinking about getting rid of the airbox

Started by Hartless, September 29, 2010, 02:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

so im pondering the idea of going to k&n round filters....... has anyone done this that wouldnt mind telling me what jet size to go with?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

h2olawyer

Unlike many bikes, the V runs better with the stock airbox - unaltered.  There have been some attempts at installing cone filters and ditching the airbox, but I haven't heard of anyone being successful with the change.  Doesn't mean it can't be done, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) A clean, fully operational air box with a new/clean air filter, (I installed a UNI 'wet' filter a couple of years ago), cleaned and synced carbs works really well... 8)

8)........TIGER........ 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

The Prophet of Doom

When I bought my 550, it had homemade filter socks over the trumpets (no airbox) and straight through pipes
Air Jet 130/130
Main Jet 127.5/127.5
I did look around for K&N filters just because the socks were ugly but couldn't find anything to fit without cutting the trumpets down.

Anyway it sounded great - a real throaty roar (a lion vs a kitten) and ran like a cut cat at WOT but it bogged down in lesser throttle positions.  I played around a bit then just put it back to stock.  I know more now and think a lot of the issues were down to the leaking YICS and poor sync, but don't have the patience to try it all again without measuring equipment.

Lucky

Quote from: h2olawyer on September 29, 2010, 03:28:38 AM
Unlike many bikes, the V runs better with the stock airbox - unaltered.  There have been some attempts at installing cone filters and ditching the airbox, but I haven't heard of anyone being successful with the change.  Doesn't mean it can't be done, though.

H2O

Blake tried it a few years ago, & he has an AFR meter, could never get it to work.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Hartless

hmmmmm ..... im going to ponder on it for a couple days
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

simsport

Has anyone tried to fuel inject these bikes?

Injection Throttle bodies should be easy enough to find and the fuel/ignition control by a basic ecu such as megasquirt.

cheers
simon

Tiger

Quote from: simsport on October 29, 2010, 07:36:31 PM
Has anyone tried to fuel inject these bikes?

Injection Throttle bodies should be easy enough to find and the fuel/ignition control by a basic ecu such as megasquirt.

cheers
Simon

:) 28 years on and hundreds, nay thousands of Vision's are still awaiting for someone to convince their owners that there is a real, fully functional alternative to the well cleaned/synced, twin Mukuni down drafts and a fresh air filter in a fully operational air box... ::)...but hey, just call me old fashioned!!!

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

The Prophet of Doom

simsport

Ok, I know the std stuff works ok but having worked with older race engines on cars In have found that a decent EFI setup makes both power and torque and of course it can be a lot less fussy once set right.

I was thinking of a full mapped ecu with a throttle pot and crank sensor plus fuel pump and injectors from current EFI bike. Wasted spark would work ok. As its a water cooled bike cold starts etc are sorted easily too.

I would be surprised if it didnt make 5-10% power but......I do accept its a lot of work for a small gain on a bike with no high value.

Cheers
Simon