News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Wiring Stator and R/R

Started by tnutcher, October 19, 2010, 04:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnutcher

I had a burnt out Regulator/rectifier a few months back on my 82 vision.  Replaced it with a new one from Electrosports *SP, if I recall correctly.  Problem is the previous owner axed the plastic connector in favor of soldered connections between the white wires coming from the stator to the R/R.  I assumed that since it ran when I fired it up that either a.) I wired them correctly or b.) it didn't matter which wire went to which.  SO now, my stator crapped out, and looking to order one and I see the connector again and it reminded me about my wiring issue.  Does it matter which white wire goes to which white wire? If it does maybe I fried my stator because of that?  Don't want to do that to the new one so figured I'd ask.  Thanks in advance
TNutcher

Tiger

Quote from: tnutcher on October 19, 2010, 04:50:33 PM
Does it matter which white wire goes to which white wire?

:) In a word... No... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

tnutcher

Thank you for the quick reply.  I'm curious as to why it doesn't matter...
TNutcher

Walt_M.

Simple, the stator consists of 3 identical windings being rectified and regulated to 12VDC. It doesn't matter which winding feeds which section of the rectifier, the end result is 12VDC. That is why all the wires are white.
Whale oil beef hooked!

joenurse

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but a bad stator will kill a R/R, won't it?
Sometimes you have to lose everything before you can find yourself

Tiger

Quote from: joenurse on October 20, 2010, 10:16:00 AM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but a bad stator will kill an R/R, won't it?

:) Sometimes this can happen, but not always...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Oz Vision

My stator was burnt when I got the bike, bur R/R tested ok. Now have a new Tim Parrott stator and all appears good. The newly fitted voltmeter maintains around 14.4 to 14.7v when running.
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

tnutcher

That makes sense.  Thanks for the clear up!

Thats a great idea, a volt meter.  Not to hijack my own thread but do you have pictures of the finished look or location?  Interested in volt meter, oil press, or maybe even in. vacuum?  I'm not sure if it would even be worth it but just tossing ideas around...
TNutcher

Tiger

tnutcher

Quick question on output of stator.  I installed the new one and fired up the bike, read 12.7 volts at battery before firing, (had it on a trickle charger the past week) and then once started at a high warm-up idle, I was reading in the 17 volt range, back to idle and it would be around 14 volts but seemed to stay in the range of 15-17 volts at varying throttle positions.  Is this correct?  I thought it should be lower like around 14-15 volts at charging.  Or am I not supposed to read voltage at the battery posts?  Don't want to boil my battery or something
TNutcher

Walt_M.

17 volts is too high. Anything over 15 is a problem. Bad R/R or bad connection on the (brown)sensor wire or a bad battery. Narrow it down and fix it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

tnutcher

The R/R and battery are both less than 6 months old and with very little use on them, battery full of water and been trickle charged nearly every night so it should be fine.  Where is the sensor wire at and what does it sense?? Thanks
TNutcher

tnutcher

Well for whatever reason, I spliced the brown sensor to the battery positive, and checked voltage and was spot on around 13.6-7 Volts.  Checked the voltage at the brown wire coming into the R/R and it was lower around 12.9 but kept rising until it was around 13.2-3.  Reconnected the brown wire and now I'm right where it should be, 13.6-13.85V at the battery.  Not sure if it was the brown wires poor connection but it seems to be working fine now so thats good.  Thanks
TNutcher

QBS

Sounds alot like the brown wire had a high resistance connection.  Going straight to the positive post was/is the way to go.

fret not

This is a really good example of when a volt meter would be a good thing to have wired into the system.  I would be a bit Leary of the R/R after your erratic experience, at least for a while until it proves itself stable and reliable.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!