News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Just about crashed

Started by nwrider, October 03, 2010, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwrider

I was putting the final miles on a really nice ride around Washington State with short excursions into Idaho and Oregon when I crossed a crack in the asphalt in a slight right hand turn, 55 mph.  The road was wet from a recent rain.  I don't normally give these a second thought.  A little shake or slide from both ends, no big deal right?  Not this time.  The front wheel turned violently into the corner then hard over then back again and I'm not sure but it might have even snapped over again!  The bike was going down and there was nothing I could do about it.  The jerking was severe enough to through my right leg off the peg.  Suddenly the front tire grabbed in a controlled slide, the bars straightened, and the bike returned to the normal upright attitude.  My Avons have given me flawless performance in both the wet and dry.  I'm not sure what to think about the tires now.  Should I be happy?  After all I didn't crash.  I've been riding since 1969, started riding on the pavement in 1975, have hundreds of thousands of miles with dozens of motorcycles and I've never experienced what happened last month.  I wonder if the pavement crack had just been sealed and I rode over it in the first rainfall, thus the slipperiest it could possibly be.  Anyone else have this experience?
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

Lucky

I think luck & skill saved you hide.  you hit a slick spot, probably some oil on the ground you didn't even see.

I'd say change your shorts, have a beer, treat your bike to a good wax job & call it a day!:)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

nwrider

First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision