News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

What's best way to paint wheels?

Started by spectre, October 04, 2010, 09:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectre

Hey guys, I know I haven't posted in a while, but I have not needed to. (knock on wood  ;) )
So I have decided that I'm going to eventually paint my wheels black (If I can find a warm place to do it  :-\) and Lucky has given me his knowledge on the process, but the more opinions the better, so I'd like to know how you guys do the process, what paint you use, the steps... ect. thanks!
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

67GTO

I had real good sucess using Rust Oleum "Painter's Touch" gloss black in a 8oz can. Because the wheels are cast I used a
one inch foam brush. With the foam brush you don't see any streaks, and you don't have to mask anything off. It worked great.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

spectre

Quote from: 67GTO on October 04, 2010, 05:41:17 PM
I had real good sucess using Rust Oleum "Painter's Touch" gloss black in a 8oz can. Because the wheels are cast I used a
one inch foam brush. With the foam brush you don't see any streaks, and you don't have to mask anything off. It worked great.
Thanks, that sounds great, did it come out glosy and smooth, or bumpy and dull? and how exactly did you prep the wheel? also has it chipped (if) when you change the tire?

67GTO

Because the wheel is cast, it's not real smooth, so it is not very shiny, looks more like semi-gloss Like the factory paint).

I painted the wheels like the factory, so I left the rim edge bare aluminum as well as the face of the "spokes"

To prep the wheels I washed them with a good degreaser and then wiped them down with lacquer thinner.

No reason to remove the tires.

The paint does not come close to the tire, so you should not have to worry about paint chips.

spectre

Great, thanks for the info GTO, I'm planning on blacking out the wheels completley (sp?) but my last question was a little confusing; I meant, do you think when you eventually replace your tires, the machine may chip the paint off the rim? (because I am painting the aluminum rim as well) Thanks!

67GTO

I knew what you were talking about, a tire machine probably would scratch the edge.

Should be able to touch them up.

spectre

Porpoise_of_doom

Good post Spectre, I've been having trouble finding suitable paint in Aus (most of the paints recommended on this forum aren't available here:( ) however, my local hardware store ACTUALLY STOCKS RUSTOLEUM!!!!!!! Tears of happiness having read that recommendation...
67GTO, how did you clean up any over spill on the outer edge of spokes and rim? I'm thinking get it quick with turpentine, otherwise very careful with fine sand paper before it hardens too much? I don't have that steady a hand to guarantee not having some splash over..
Currently 2x XZ550 1982
Honda XR250 x2
Honda XR500R and XL500R
Yamaha LB80, DT80 and YZ80
Kawasaki MT1
Past bikes:
83 XJ750 (my first real love, miss her dearly)
3x Honda XL175 (I want another!)
Honda XR500
Kawasaki G4TRC
Yamaha QT50 and Suzuki U70 as a kid

spectre

thnks porpoise, you are painting your wheels too? sweet. I'm going to get outside and start working on them in about an hour, finally getting to beautify...erm... maybe I need to come up with a name for her... anyways, I have to get all the corrosion off first  :o

67GTO

P of D
   Using the foam pad you just drag the pad on the painted part over the sharp edge, works great.

any little spot on the bare aluminum can be wiped up with a rag and a little paint thinner. It

really is fast and easy.

spectre

Thanks for the advice 67GTO, I did what you said, and it came out 1000x better than what I could have hoped for, I will post up pictures later  ;D :D ;)

67GTO

Porpoise_of_doom

Sure am spectre, i'd like to get it done in the next few weeks as I'm moving a few hundred kms away and moving a bike on a trailer with wheels is easier than a frame!
Looking forward to seeing some pics!
Currently 2x XZ550 1982
Honda XR250 x2
Honda XR500R and XL500R
Yamaha LB80, DT80 and YZ80
Kawasaki MT1
Past bikes:
83 XJ750 (my first real love, miss her dearly)
3x Honda XL175 (I want another!)
Honda XR500
Kawasaki G4TRC
Yamaha QT50 and Suzuki U70 as a kid