Leaky Petcock

Started by 2002_wrx, November 13, 2010, 01:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2002_wrx

Hey guys,
    Probably a pretty basic question but my bike's very leaky  :(
When I pull off the fuel line, gas won't stop dripping from the tank out of the petcock.  I'm assuming its just some sort of valve that's not closing all the way, or maybe something to do with vacuum?  Can someone explain how I should go about fixing this?  Seems like I get problem after problem with this bike, but that's good cause I'm learning!

don_vanecek

Others may answer differently but the vacuum petcock was not a Yamaha success. Now your discription  sounds really bad-mine takes a few hours to leak-well all the way though the carb overflows anyway.

Simple easy solution, tie a simple on off switch from your local lawn mower shop into the gas line south of the petcock. Yes, once or twice a year I forget to shut it off and have gas leaking out AND two or three times a year I forget to turn it to on and the bike dies after two blocks. But,simple easy solution and nothing else seems to be affected.

Lets see, in the computer world would we call that a work around?   

Re-Vision

You can see from the pictures of the petcock that it likely wont be hard to determine where the leak is originating. Probably the rubber gasket in the main body (the round one with five round holes), they seem to get boogered up rather often.    BDC

2002_wrx

Thanks - those pictures are super helpful.  I'll probably throw in that secondary valve for the time being and tear it down later when I have a bit more time on my hands.  I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem.

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Very common problem.  Don Vs' "work around" is the way to go.  Never trust a V petcock to not leak.

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on November 13, 2010, 02:31:38 PM
Very common problem.  Don Vs' "work around" is the way to go.  Never trust a V petcock to not leak.

:) Not a problem as far as far as I'm concerned. I have had to rebuild a couple for my Vision rebuilds over the years, but a real easy fix to do.

Given the age and the job they do, (the rubber goes hard/deteriorates), its not really a suprise that they will leak after a while!!!

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Owner of '83 petcocks don't always find things so rosy.

don_vanecek

My workaround is perhaps eight bucks, the kit about 40, BUT, is there some point in time if I never rebuild the petcock, since it does have engine vacuum going to it, that I could have running problems or even gas being sucked into the vacuum line?? Or in other words is there some point in time I need to pay out the 40 bucks in spite of my workaround???  I don't really want to mess around with it if I don't have to.

pat sullivan

don_vanecek;

For me that point in time was this summer when it began leaking gas into the manifold thru the vacuum line.  Mine is an '82 with 40k miles.

Pat S.

don_vanecek

Oh boy, guess what, I'm at 39700. Well perhaps I now have a winter project/spring project!  But I will still leave the manual shut off in the gas line!

Brian Moffet

Hmm, I'm at 46,400 and it's an 83...  Oh dear...  :o

2002_wrx

Dumb question but is there anything holding the metal joint piece where the fuel line connects onto the rest of the petcock?  I know there's the screw, but I think that's a drain or something.  Can't remember if there was when I took it apart, and I don't see anything from the pictures.  What keeps it from falling out?  Thanks

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

2002_wrx

Ok thanks.  Just wanted to make sure