News:

Main Menu

Still wont start when hot.

Started by jono1798, October 04, 2010, 06:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jono1798

I just clean the carbs, installed an new fuel filter and a couple of other bits and pieces. I took the old girl out for a short spin to get her up to operating temp to be able to sync her and check the timing. Half way on my little journey she cut out. When I tried to start her back up the starter was having more and more trouble turning over until finally one of the relays started buzzing.
I took the battery home, recharged it and she fired right up today. Got her home to do the tests and sync but she cut out again, and won't start up.
Suggestions?
No man is rich enough to buy back the past.

Kiwi

Possibly a charging or battery issue?
I have had a similar problem.  I got her started by rolling her down a hill and dropping the clutch.  The whole ride home the lights were kinda dim tho :).
I put it on the charger over night, and she started right up in the morning.
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Tiger

:) Visions need a good, fully charged battery to fire up and for you to do electrical checks. With the battery fully charged and your 'V' running, what volts is she putting out??

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

it's going to be stator and or R/R. no question.  Tiger is also correct, to properly diagnose those things the battery has to be fully charged. (of course any poor connections, grounds, switches, wires etc need to be corrected first.)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jono1798

I have a new battery in the bike and I have also replaced the spark plugs. I'll look into how many volts she's putting out, and I'll also check out the stator.

Don't mean to sound thick but whats the R/R?

Thanks

Tiger

Quote from: jono1798 on October 07, 2010, 02:24:55 AM
Don't mean to sound thick but whats the R/R?

:) Jono, a good question...never be afraid to ask, its how we ALL learn mate.

In laymans terms, the R/R regulates the electricity running through your Vision...sort of like an anti-surge unit for your computer. Its located on the rear of the battery box...However, several of us take them from there and relocate them to the rear footrest area by making/buying a bracket to suit...it helps keep them cooler...  ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

QBS

R/R stands for regulator/rectifier.   The unit regulates the amount of voltage going into the battery and also rectifies the AC voltage output of the alternator into DC voltage.

Lucky

it's located on the back of the battery box

jono1798

I am getting continuity on the Stator tests. That is my multimeter is beeping, but the reading on the screen doesn't come up to 0.32+- like the manual says. It reads 0.00!   What do ye reckon, Still F#%ked?

The R/R tests are not in line with what should happen according to the manual, beeping when it shouldn't and visa versa.

Any tips on where to get these parts cheap. I just priced a R/R for over $300.

QBS

Charge the battery, start the bike.  Check the charging system output with your multimeter at the battery terminals.  What is it?

Stator continuity indicates failed stator.

Raj1988

Ebay, scrap yard ... for a cheap, maybe good maybe not if your lucky....

BUT FIRST , Post in the Swap Shop... You never know who has what!! some folks like me begin hoarding stuff and then realize the don't need half of it!!!

I found http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ to be a good source. Also RM Stator.
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

jono1798

Alright lads!

I just installed the new stator and new R/R. I recharged my new battery and I can't seem to get her started. Never had this much hardship getting her fired up????????

Re-Vision

If it sets more than ten days, reclean the carbs. LOL even though its not funny.    BDC

Tiger

:) Jono, will she fire up if you drop some gas direct down the carbs???

8) .......TIGER....... 8)

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

Your starter is probably cooked (kaput).  They're a weak link on a Vision.  I replaced mine too.

jono1798

"Your starter is probably cooked (kaput).  They're a weak link on a Vision.  I replaced mine too."

I reconditioned the starter a while back and it seems to turn over fine when i hit the starter button.

The Stator I just installed is brand new.

I'll try dropping some petrol into the carb.

A friend told me to put a capfull of petrol into where one of the sparkplugs goes......anyone like to comment on that?

Re-Vision

Quote from: jono1798 on December 10, 2010, 10:46:06 PM
A friend told me to put a capfull of petrol into where one of the sparkplugs goes......anyone like to comment on that?

Probably will have evaporated by the time you get the plug back in and possibly washing oil off the rings.     BDC

Walt_M.

Put a voltmeter on your battery when you try to start it. If the voltage drops below 10.6 while cranking, it WILL NOT START.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

i'm having a similar issue with my wifes Vision.  replacement engine that I got to start once after cranking & jumoing it.  couldn't start it since. 

the carbs ran great on the old engine, but then sat all summer so they probably need to be cleaned.  it doesn't take much to make 'em hard to start.

i'm also thinking valve adjustment might need to be done (yes shoulda checked them while the engine was out)

waiting to have time to get to it...

davexz

First find out if it is a spark or gas problem.  If you have a charged battery the stator shouldn't have anything to do with it not starting.  Lay a spark plug against the engine block and crank it over and look for a good spark - should be big and blue or at least big looking and not faint or weak looking.  Maybe your electronic spark unit is bad (not sure what they call them on Visions, TCI ? I think they are a little different than the CDI).  Maybe the connectors to the TCI box are bad, maybe bad coil, maybe bad connection at kill switch? Toggle the kill switch a few times.   If you have low voltages in the ignition system you won't get a good consistent spark .  I had a bad electronic ignition box on a CX500 that would run fine at low speed but cough and sputter at mid to high speed when it got hot.  It drove me crazy because I keep working on the carbs - that was a learning experience.  If you get spark, go through your usual attempt to start and then quickly take out the plug and look to see if it is wet - it should be if you have been trying to start it choking it.  If it is wet your getting gas, if not then look for reasons why no gas. Gas getting to carbs?, Choke linkage working, check float levels, fresh gas, no vacuum leaks at manifolds, etc.