News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Still wont start when hot.

Started by jono1798, October 04, 2010, 06:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

i've been thru all that, & i've been thru this before with other Visions.  got good spark.  I'm a Stihl tech & have an inline tester similar to the neon light testers, it's a go/no go deal (built in resistor)

it may have charging issues, but i keep the battery charged, have a boost box available & jumper cables if need be.

it'll backfire thru both the exhaust & carbs, mostly exhaust. so that tells me she's getting spark & fuel. (probably too much fuel)

have swapped out a known good TCI too.

One thing i've learned rebuilding a hundred vision carbs, & several (4 at the moment) visions: don't ever discount the carbs as a source of problems.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

davexz

Checking the voltage during cranking like Walt said sounds like a good idea.  I had a Honda interceptor that won't start using jumper cables from a car, it would crank over fine but not start.  I put a good battery in and it started right up.  But the bad connections in the cabling would let the voltage drop too low for the spark.  Bet some people don't believe me but that was the case.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

I can see the jumper cable thing...automotive cable clamps are near impossible to attach to bike battery terminals. Depending on how dead the battery was, the marginal connections allowed just enough current to spin the V4 over at a respectable clip with the balance trying to regenerate the flat battery. There may not have been enough left to fire the ignition.

As far as jono1798's bike is concerned, could it be as simple as the enrichener tube and the well it sits in being slightly gunked up from sitting? They seem to be particularly vulnerable to flow restrictions relative to cold starts. First I'd try draining the bowls and refilling them with fresh gas - manually through the vents if need be. When gas starts coming out of the overflow, you're full. Then with a good battery see if she starts. If not, I'd consider removing the carbs tops and poking a wire through the small hole in the enrichener well (.25mm per cdnlouie?) and make sure the tube is clear as well.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

davexz

Yes, car jumpers are hard to hook up.  To make it worse I didn't even have a battery in the bike.  I knew the bike ran fine because it was one of my daily riders and that's what made it so frustrating.  I've had a lot of those moments but I guess thats how you learn.   :)

jono1798

I dropped a bit of petrol into the carb and she fired up..... so I'm cleaning the carbs now again.
No man is rich enough to buy back the past.