News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

turbo vision if you are interested

Started by xzerminator, October 16, 2010, 08:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xzerminator

hi guys, just started this for the first time since the turbo.
havent put it on the dyno to tune it yet so havent ridden it properly

enjoy

xzerminator

sorry about the crappy photo.... not too good with the IT stuff... :(

AdvRich

Hey XZerminator,

Looks like your having all kinda fun there with that XZ grafting on some dirt bike components. Is this being set up for sand drags or the like?

Would you be up for sharing more of what you've done?

Looks like your running a single carb for fuel.

Have you done any mods to control the ignition like a more modern tuneable CDI conversion from another scoot?

That chain drive must of been some work for the output shaft conversion.

Thanks, Rich

xzerminator

yeah its for the sand drags.
the chain drive was fairly easy but i wouldn't recommend it for a street bike as it probably would
not last too long, and had to cut a large amount out of the engine casing which looks pretty crappy.
since this is built from leftovers and scraps there's no chance of it getting any fancy gear other than what its got now.
This isn't going to win any competitions anyway, just built for a bit of fun
It just has a single carb sucking through the turbo because it was the easiest and cheapest way to do it.
at the last count i noticed this bike now has parts from yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki, honda, ducati, and harley.

ill put it on the dyno in a week or so and find out what it outs out (if it doesnt blow up)
does anyone have a dyno chart for the stock bike?

jefferson

Better use some high octane fuel in that thing, especially if you didn't lower the compression. Love what you did. Can't wait to see the results.

Jeff

Extent

Only dyno chart that I have saved is this one from a thread on here about 5 years ago, they had a V engine that they were planning on supercharging and converting to fuel injection for a University project of some kind, and he posted their baseline dyno

Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

diablo_man

wow, 35 hp? thats like half the claimed power. only other one ive seen was an australian bike with 40HP. thats kinda sad.

Rikugun

Is the factory claimed hp at the rear wheel or crank? If at the crank, that would help to explain the lower dyno figures.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

joenurse

dyno is in kw not hp...but 35 kw is still only 47 hp. There should be closer to 50 kw (67hp)
Sometimes you have to lose everything before you can find yourself

diablo_man

Quote from: joenurse on October 28, 2010, 11:46:09 AM
dyno is in kw not hp...but 35 kw is still only 47 hp. There should be closer to 50 kw (67hp)

oh ok, i missed that. still i was expecting in the low 50s after the factory claims 64

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: Rikugun on October 28, 2010, 09:15:54 AM
Is the factory claimed hp at the rear wheel or crank? If at the crank, that would help to explain the lower dyno figures.

Virtually without exception, auto and moto manufacturers quote their claimed HP at the crank.   For car engines (not so sure about bikes) they also remove all power-sapping accessories such as alternator, fanbelts, etcetera.   So, it's always an unrealistically high figure in terms of what you can actually _use_ the engine for, where it puts the power to the road.   Why do they do this?  Advertising competition - "Everybody else's ad is quoting the highest measurable number for _their_ products, so we have to do the same or be left out in the cold by buyers" they say to themselves.

The HP ratings on piston airplane engines, and other continuous-use internal combustion engines such as generators and pumps, OTOH are generally much more realistic, based on the rated maximum power that such an engine is capable of putting out indefinitely, at a constant RPM, at its output shaft, with all needed accessories installed and operating.   Which is good to know, when the consequences of not having enough power in reserve doesn't just mean that you lose a stoplight drag race, but means that you might crash and burn if you do not have enough oomph to climb over a mountain while enroute, or to climb over a bunch of trees at the end of the runway on takeoff.

Just for comparison, the more common, normally aspirated (non-supercharged), carbureted piston engines for small planes are rated at about half a horsepower per cubic inch, so frex an O-360 (360 cubic inches a/k/a 6000 cc, four cylinders, horizontally-opposed, air-cooled) is rated at 180 hp at 2700 RPM.   But it can do that 2700 RPM all day and all night for a week, if you have a big enough fuel tank and are flying around the world.
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision US
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja

treedragon

Last time I put mine on the dyno at work it came in at 50.48HP (at the rear wheel) @ 9400rpm and stayed there until 10,000 before starting to drop off. It's running much much better since then so it would be safe to add a couple more ponies to that figure now.

I still have plans to put her back on the dyno to get a base figure before the next round of engine mods.

jefferson

I had the racebike on the dyno at Daytona way back in the 90's and came up with 57.5 hp, but I don't remember what brand of dyno it was. Guess I would have to dig it out. The bike did run with the EX's in the class. That was with the Wolfe pipe and the crappy flowing muffler.

Jeff