News:

Main Menu

electronic dash

Started by hamptoncarmody, February 23, 2004, 02:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamptoncarmody

Hi guys ,when my rr spiked and cooked my tci it also blew 2/3 bulbs in the idiot light array and dashboard. I also saw some smoke issue from the electronic rev counter. The bulbs are all fixed now, but the rev counter doesn,t :jump: when I switch on and only reads about half revs , ie I used to do 6000 rpm at 100k but now it reads 3500 at 100k. Is there a diode or something I can replace in there and if so how do i find it. I,m not real good at voltmeters yet. It didn,t bother me at the time as I was happy to get the bike going again but now it,s starting to P- me off.    seeya  Alan

Walt_M.

I don't know of a 'quick fix'. The rev counter runs off the TCI box and has an electro-mechanical movement. Mine completely quit a long time ago and I was able to find an open wire in the winding and resolder it. It is possible that part of your winding is shorted and you may need a replacement. You may be on your own if you decide to take it apart to look, I don't remember being able to find anything on instrument disassembly in my service manual. Patience will be your best tool.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Glyn Pickering

If you don't come right with a fix I've got 2 spare bikes which I could prob take a spare unit off. One's a 400, not sure if the rev counter mech would be differenton that one.
Drop a mail to pickteam@xtra.co.nz if you need a part.

Cheers

Glyn

Lucky

The TCI & coil are responsable for putting out the signal for the tach, so you should be ok using a 400 part on a 550. the accuracy is poor anyway, especially with the speedometer.

one thing to be aware of though, if the rev limiter, or wire for the rev limiter is dammaged, and grounded, this will cut out the front cylinder.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

This is the reason I encourage all Visionaries to get at least one parts bike !  Your lucky to have your own source of spares.  I would be very surprised it the 400 instraments  were different  from the 550, give it a try .I'll bet your tach is permantly out to lunch.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Alan Hampton

By the way guys .My bike is a 400.  seeya  Alan

Rupert

The camaraderie here in NZ seems good.
Perhaps on a fine day we should have a meet 'n greet?

I'm in Christchurch
Ah, there's that bolt for the bike from last month's tinkering.
Now where could it go?

hamptoncarmody

I agree , any other Kiwis out there.  If so where are you. put a reply on this thread and we,ll see what happens.  seeya   Alan