News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Unfinished Projects

Started by Re-Vision, October 20, 2010, 07:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Didn't create this topic to diminish anyone's unfinished project but thought this might be an opportunity for those who haven't been able to bring their pet projects to fruition to tell us what hampered them from completing their goals. I wouldn't list anyone's goals because it might mean stepping on toes unnecessarily. I really would like to hear thoughts from anyone who hasn't been able to finish a stated goal because of technical difficulties, lack of money, loss of drive, or whatever else. Some general ideas such as a YICS substitute, gas tank replacement mold, carburetor improvement, rear shock improvement, instrumentation, and other projects I may not be aware of. Purpose here is to perhaps re-stimulate beneficial and much needed projects for our Visions and getting fresh inputs from new members on how they might be completed. Would also like to hear ideas on projects you think are needed.    BDC

Extent

Well I'll kick you off, I've got tons of unfinished projects :p

Rear shock replacement: Successfully fitted an adapter and ran a more modern sportbike shock for a short while, but removed it over concerns about the shocks properties with the vastly different suspension geometries between the two bikes.  I've since obtained an 83 shock so this project is extremely low priority for me now.

Digital dash project: I have Lucky's concept sketches for that, and started doing some circuit design but ran short of time and never progressed from there.

Rev limiter replacement:  I reverse engineered most of the components of the stock limiter circuit into a computer simulation, but not enough to run a successful simulated test.  I set it aside for other projects initially but now I'm toying with the idea of getting a megasquirt system and converting the bike to fuel injection, so the OE rev limiter would be unnecessary and I'm unlikely to pick this up again.

YICS replacement:  I have a set of molds taken from an original YICS, with the thought to make replacement 1 piece, leakproof, YICS chambers ( I want to do mine in carbon fiber) My first layup was too thin and stuck to the molds and I never got around to cleaning them up for another attempt.  I need to rethink the mold splits and make a new set of plugs.  Once again time has got the better of me here, tho this project is high on my list to finish once I'm out of school and have some free time to play with.

Sport Fairing project:  I've actually completed a couple different versions of this one but I tossed the skin after my big crash a couple years ago.  I've rebuilt my fairing stay (now the 4th revision of that, the smallest and lightest yet) but am still waiting on time to design and lay up a new skin for it, this time keeping the thickness and weight of it down as much as possible.

Custom Exhaust:  Still in the planning stages for this.  I've already got an SV650 can hacked on to the stock headers, but I want to replace the whole system with custom laid piping to get rid of that nasty collector box and cut down the weight.  I haven't quite found any good guides for how to size the primaries and 2ndaries yet, but I'll probably just wing it with the stock sizing as a guide ( I want to replace the dual header on both sides with a Y and a single pipe, so stock sizes aren't exact ) I also want to replace the bolt on rear header mount that's so hard to get to without gutting the underseat area with something that would be easier to work on but I'm not entirely sure what yet ( bolt on adapter plate with spring mounts? )  Time is once again my enemy on this one.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

funkamongus

I'll have a go.
My bike stopped running. I had added an extra ground strap, a red wire was all I had laying around, thought id remember and didnt, voila, reversed polarity on the bike. Have to find, and fix, that problem. I also have a box of parts ready to go on her, starter nose cone seal, used stator, etc. but I ran out of money for the important ones.. tires. Ive also been busy with a new girlfriend and traveling. Maybe I'll get around to her this winter... I have to tear down and rebuild with all new bearings, and various other stuff, an 82 virago 920, this winter, as well...     
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Raj1988

This winter:

Tracking down and installing Bar clamps for a nice Rally bar with hand guards and throttlemeister.
VALVE CLEARANCES
Front end rebuild with progressive springs
Brake caliper rebuild with new rubber seals
Front wheel Bearings
Steering head bearings
Exhaust Swap to an unmolested stock unit (Tiger >???)

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

:) "The Mistress" is always an unfinished project... year in & year out  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Up to now she has gone, (over six years), from being a stock, bog standard, naked Star Silver '82 Vision to having added....in no particular order:
8) Custom paint work...Lamborghini Orange with pearl blown in...very pretty 8)
8) Full '83 fairing from an American '83 in beautiful gloss Black but with the Gold decals removed.
8) Custom fairing dash board with three illuminated rocker switches in three different colours
8) Installed a full '83 front end with dual brake calipers and rotors.
8) Stainless Steel braided brake lines.
8) Replaced '82 master cylinder with an '83, with a new site glass installed.
8) Progressive front springs.
8) Fork brace.
8) Digital volt meter.
8) '83 footpeg brackets, gear shifter and foot brake.
8) American '83 Gold wheel rims back and front.
8) Tapered head bearings.
8) Custom seat.
8)  Installed a set of Krauser, clip on/clip off 26 Litre rear hard bags.
8) Installed a Givi rear hard top box...easy on/off mechanism....onto the Vision chrome rear rack.
8) 'Bobbed' the rear fender.
8) Installed an LED license plate light.
8) Installed a digital volt meter.
8) '83 rear shock.
8) Front and rear foot pegs installed from a Yamaha Venture.
8) '83 side stand.
8) Wolf exhaust system.
8) Side cover screws are all stainless Steel.
8) Rear light cover, Gloss Black, from an American '83.
8) American '83 Gold head light rim.
8) New, good quality plug leads and plug caps.
8) Custom made Positive and negative main leads.
8) Starter clutch/balancer nuts 'fix' done!!
8) Running on Avon tires.
8) Running with a UNI washable air filter.
8) In-line fuel filter.
8) Replaced oem fuse box with in-line fuse holders and fuses...that glow when they blow!!!
 :-\ I may have missed something...somewhere!!!

:o To do this 'off season'...

:o Strip her down completely and start right from scratch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Due to all the work I have done on rebuilds, to sell on, and other peoples Vision repairs/upgrades, The Mistress has been somewhat neglected, sooooooooooo, she is my main winter project :angel:

8) 'TO DO'....

She will get new swing arm bearings installed, the housing will be drilled/tapped and a grease fitting installed for future lubrication 8)

I've had a spare swing arm, centre stand, rear brake adjuster rod and rear brake bar sandblasted. I have also 'blended in' the welds on the swing arm. All the parts have been given three coats of Red oxide primer and a couple of coats of high solids industrial Black gloss paint.

Another rear fender, in better over all condition, has been 'bobbed' and polished and is also ready for installation...along with a clean, polished rear inner fender, ready for install ;)

With the motor on the bench, I can get the valves 'lapped, with new valve guide seals installed and the valve adjustments done... for another 28 years ;D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Other than that, its a case of touching up paint nicks/chips, check out and repair/replace any wire problems, clean, tidy, polish, etc, etc...put her all back together again...install ALL new fluids, oil filter, spark plugs, clean/oil air filter, etc and fire her up ready for the new season to begin... 8) 8)

I hope this will give some inspiration to others, to make the best of these great wee Visions we all have 8) When I got mine, six years ago, and like many here, I knew nothing about these quirky rides :o ??? Now, again like many here, I have a Vision that I'm very proud of...very proud to show her off at every opportunity  8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kev10104

And you should be proud of her.It is one sweet ride.

h2olawyer

I've still got the 83 fuel system swap to finish.  The 83 tank needs a minor dent repair, lining and paint.  The 83 carbs need the rebuild completed.  The fairing needs a repaint as well.  Going to tear her down quite a ways this winter and do some overall clean, refreshing, paint & polish.  Probably not quite as extensive as Tiger is planning, though.  The frame has a couple spots that could use some touch-up paint.

Want to put progressive springs in the forks and need to replace all the exhaust gaskets.  Also need to do the valves & replace the rear brake shoes.  Will check the thermostat to see if I can adjust it for cooler running and if not, I'll replace it with a 160F unit.  Time to replace the coolant & brake fluid as well.  Oil is always a fall & spring project - and was always changed with the stators.  Doubt I've ever had more than 1500 miles on an oil change since new - until this year's 1500 mile trip.  Will also (finally) replace the OEM fuseblock with a blade fuse type.  The final winter project will be installing an HID headlight system.

Not sure about the color I'll paint it yet.  Most likely original Star Silver, but I might change the metalflake a bit.  Whatever, it will look very close to a new version of its current appearance.

I've already done the 83 forks / brakes, 83 rear shock, 83 rider pegs, shifter & brake pedal, 83 bar risers and 83 gauges.  All in all, the bike is in pretty good shape but is ready for some TLC & for some of the good I've ridden out of it to be put back in before it develops any serious issues.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Raj1988

I've gotta say, Re-Vision... you have a knack of starting really interesting threads , Thank you...  Let us know what YOU are working on now...
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution