News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Why do (Some) old Visionaries fade away?

Started by Re-Vision, October 20, 2009, 10:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Visions aren't easy... and are not for everyone

...... they choose their owners

apparently, you weren't accepted  :-\
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

spectre

Quote from: Walt_M. on October 16, 2010, 04:36:55 PM
Had to junk a perfectly good engine! I can hear Spectre screaming.
all the way from there? wow, and I can't even hear my spanish teacher...  ;)
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Hartless

i think that they a re kind of fun. a pain in the ass, but fun  ;D
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Hooligan

I rode my my Vision from Azusa, CA to the Laughlin Bike River Run maybe 7 years ago and it started knocking really bad once I was there.  I left it at my inlaws house in AZ and took Amtrak home.  Still there.  Go there a few times to take the kids and visit grandma but i dont want to do an engine swap in 110-120 degrees heat.  Miss the sound of that V twin.

Hartless

Quote from: Hooligan on October 19, 2010, 06:29:10 PM
I rode my my Vision from Azusa, CA to the Laughlin Bike River Run maybe 7 years ago and it started knocking really bad once I was there.  I left it at my inlaws house in AZ and took Amtrak home.  Still there.  Go there a few times to take the kids and visit grandma but i dont want to do an engine swap in 110-120 degrees heat.  Miss the sound of that V twin.
are you sure its a rod knock? could just be the clutch..... i think the clutch bearings go out? correct me if im wrong, never  taken the clutch apart

Lucky

I promise it's the starter clutch bolts and possably the balance shaft gear nuts have loosened up.

it's a one afternoon job.

you'll need:
oil drain pan, 3 qts oil (& filter)
5 & 6mm hex wrenchs, flat & phillips screwdriver
gasket scraper, replacement gasket, big ass hammer (mini sledge type)
flywheel puller ($12 @ sears), very large adjustable wrench, pin punch, 14mm socket wrench
3 replacement clutch bolts (forget the specs, Tiger will know them off the top of his head)
couple of rags & an empty shoe box.

--drain the oil, remove the shift lever & left cover, leave wires attached.
--remove the flywheel bolt, install the puller, tighten the center screw on the puller.
--put the box under the flywheel (catches it & the 3 each rollers, springs & guides when the flywheel pops off.)
--hit the center screw with the big hammer HARD.  tighten bolt some more & hit again.  repeat till the flywheel eventually pops off.

--replace the 3 bolts that secure the clutch on to the back of the flywheel with the longer ones, & PEEN them over well.
-- bend back the tabs on the balance shaft gear nuts & tighten the gear nuts up. bend the tabs back

remove old gasket & assemble cover with new gasket.
fill with oil, test ride, & as QBS says, "Declare Victory!"

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Hartless

Tiger

Quote from: Hooligan on October 19, 2010, 06:29:10 PM
...in 110-120 degrees heat.

:o Better than outside in the snow mate!!!  ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

The three socket head replacement screws for the starter clutch are M8 x 14mm (or M8 x 16mm and shave a mil' or so off).

Add to Luck's list an M10 wrench/socket to remove the gear shift leaver from the shift shaft.

Take your time and you should be rid of the starter clutch gremlin in a 2/3 hours... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
ps Go in to 'search' and type in starter clutch...you will come up with more info', some pictorial, to help you... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

and of course, after 7 years, all the usual storage gremlins, but if you had to leave it anywhere, Arizona would be the place :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black