Thinking about what you enjoy before you buy

Started by VFan, October 29, 2010, 08:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raj1988

I still want another bike, But being a rider of vision, I CANNOt find one that will do it all with the same aplomb that the Vision displays. To top it, maintainance on the new bikes are $$$. I have ridden a few "super" sports and can't say i like them as much on the streets... maybe a ducati but again !!!

The SV would be a nice choice but that would violate rule #1 - Its too common
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Night Vision

Quote from: Mike Jacobs on November 01, 2010, 06:24:04 PM

Perhaps the finest tribute to the design philosophy of the Vision is Honda's new (to the US) NT700.   Take a look at its specs at http://powersports.honda.com/2010/nt700v.aspx

Like the Deauville version available in the rest of the world for the last decade, and like the Vision, this is a narrow-angle V-twin, shaft-drive, mid-size sport tourer with a half fairing.  Other than the fuel injection and radial tires, there is virtually nothing on the 2010 bike (for which the acquisition cost would drain your pocketbook to the tune of $10 g's minimum, list) that the Vision didn't have back in '82-'83.  The Vision was, well, visionary, 2 decades ahead of everybody else.  And in many ways, the Vision, despite its lower displacement, is a superior sport-touring bike, lighter, more agile, and more kick-in-the-pants, torquey _fun_ at typical canyon-carving speeds.

my borther test rode a Dullville hoping it was the holy grail... nope, he's gonna stick with his Vision. The NT does have a nicer seat  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

VFan

Quote from: Night Vision on November 03, 2010, 08:56:42 PM

my borther test rode a Dullville hoping it was the holy grail... nope, he's gonna stick with his Vision. The NT does have a nicer seat  ;)

This is an interesting comment. If you compare NT700v's touted features and product positioning against the old RK marketing materials, they have a lot in common. The NT700v does seem like the new version of the RK. Is it possible to forward your brother's comments? I'm interested to hear his concerns.

In looking at the NT700v, the biggest concern that caught my eye was the fact that the motor serves as part of the frame, sending vibration to the rider via handlebars and foot pegs. I don't notice any vibration from my RJ.

And then there is the price tag. Is it really worth the $10k opportunity cost compared to the Vision? $10k seemed steep to me. Although adjusting for inflation the price is probably quite close to the 1983 MSRP of $3k

Night Vision

he test rode with his wife 'cuz they ride together alot...

he said it wasn't smooth ... I had an 83 shadow 700 VTwin so I can attest to that... that's a buzzzzzzzzyyyy lump

he got alot of wind / buffeting from the fairing / screen... even though it's adjustable

the deal breaker for him was that when he went to put his foot down at a stop, she had to move her feet off the pegs because of lack of room between the front and rear pegs... that and the saddlebags dug into her legs... BUT,, they dug the seat  :D

as always... YMMV
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Vfan, the V also uses its engine as a "stressed member" of the chassis.  A trait it shares with Vincent.

fret not

A  well designed and balanced motor should run smoothly.  There is no substitute for smooth.   ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

spectre

Has anyone here ridden an inline four engine before? how does it compare to the vision's V-twin?
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Raj1988

I rode a 04 Katana for a few weeks at the end of the summer. It was FAST, but sorta like a Car. VEry smoothly gets to 120-130Kmph... you dont really feel much, so the fun factor is way lower and there is almost no torque at lower rpm, so you cant pull away at idle  :P like you can with a V

It is also Buzzy... Literally like it wants to vibrate your fingers off... very high frequency vibes while highway riding...

treedragon

I have had quite a few over the years, the last one was an FZR1000 from new, breathed on a bit and capable over over 300kph. Very nice bike, handled like a dream particularly at speed, had more than adequate grunt at most revs although the bulk power was towards the upper rev range. I did around 280,000k on it...............

However I prefer the XZ550.

The inline fours tend to be smooth (at least all the ones I owned), bland even, generally good handlingl but don't have a detectable soul...........

The XZ has soul............ AND can be punted around the corners as well or quicker than many big fours and I for one don't feel quite so inclined to push the speed envelope these days particularly as I get this distinct feeling walking would become more than a hobby otherwise  :police:

For me it comes down to the relationship between the ride experience and the bike/rider connection, not so much what the bike "will do".

My bike really really likes me, it helps I'm sure......................

spectre

I'm not asking because I'm considering one (like I could xD ) I'm just wondering, but that's interesting that you both say they are monotonus
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Lucky

Quote from: spectre on November 07, 2010, 09:11:57 AM
I'm not asking because I'm considering one (like I could xD ) I'm just wondering, but that's interesting that you both say they are monotonus

Yeah... that's my Honors English student...
i'm so proud...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Raj1988

And Dad's say they DON'T embarrass their sons!!! yeah Right!!

nwrider

I just gotta jump in here ;D ;D  I've had singles, twins of the parallel and V kind, triples, in-line fours, V fours and was lucky enough to even have an in-line 6. (Helps working in dealerships)  Each of these bikes has their own personality, part of which comes from the engine; it's sound from the exhaust, it's mechanical noise, power delivery, smoothness or lack of.  That is only one part of what gives each machine it's personality.  Sometimes I crave the feeling of sitting astride a big bore in-line four.  The neck jerking acceleration, the need to judiciously apply the throttle, the sweet sound of a 4 into 1 pipe!  Some have been incredibly smooth, others it didn't really matter!  However, I currently prefer the water cooled, shaft drive, nimble handling, fuel sipping, fairly powerful, FUN and simple Vision.  I don't want the hassle of lubing and adjusting a chain, at any price.  I don't want to be buying really expensive tires twice a season.  I don't want the extra weight of a larger bike.  What the Vision offers is a really nice package. 
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

treedragon

Tires now that's a point

FZR1000 - between 27 and 30 cents (NZ) per kilometer in the 90's

XZ550 - 1.08 cents (NZ) per kilometer today

FZR1000 - chain $356 (NZ) every 15,000k on average

XZ550 - ummmm I will report when I have the figures

At work I am tootling around on Ducati Streetfighter, well "tootling" is possibly not quite the right word. However front tire costs maybe not so bad(?) as it seems to hoist skywards with pleasant repeatability however the rear I'm thinking more than offsets this minor quirk.  A VERY fun bike to ride, it just seems to fit when you hop on it, invites immediate irresponsibility not at all helped by great gobs of tire shredding horsepower available at a whims notice, (I don't have to pay for these you see). I have been expressly forbidden from pushing the boundaries over hill and dale  :(  :(  which is sad really because how am I to enhance it's reputation for point and shoot meanness with added handling......................  ::)   ::)   However I can report that it is very willing through the corners and by extension would be a real hoot launching it through the twisties. Long distant rideabilty............ forget it, no wind protection at all. In total a VERY nice bike as long as you don't want to cover long distances at any sort of speed.

I have done a lot more k's on the Ducati 848 and 1198S and I have to say the 848 hit's the sweet spot, 138hp and excellent handling. The 1198 very similar with added brute!!!!  And brakes have I mentioned brakes........... when I rode the 1198 for the first time I had just got off the XZ (not noted for brakes.....) and as luck would have it I had the traditional little old lady launching out of her driveway so with instinct at it's best I applied an XZ handfull !!!!

The bike stopped,
on one wheel,
and I thought I was destined for the moon.
So on good authority I can say the 1198 has superb brakes  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o

I would like to say they would be nice on the XZ but the noodle thick front forks would fold.

And still, at the end of the day, I hop on my bike and go aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's better (with minor mutterings about horsepower)

diablo_man

Seems like a Wee Strom 650 would be the modern day equivalent of the XZ55, you guys ever try one?

Rikugun

I disagree that in-line 4's are bland or monotonous - save the early GS550's.  I had the opportunity to ride many different bikes from the Vision's era. Being a fan of bikes in general, to me they all had something to offer from the lowliest single to the CBX or KZ1300 six cylinders.

My first ride on an '81 GS1100E left me with shaking hands from adrenalin. The power delivery was exponential the further the throttle was turned. It was like a rheostat. I couldn't believe it was legal to market such a beast and unleash it on public roads. I would no sooner compare that to a Vision than I would a Harley XLCH, FZR or 250 Rebel!  ;D

If I had the resources, my stable of bikes would be varied and deep. Unfortunately, that's not the case but I do have an '82 GPz550 and the Vision. Same year and displacement but very different personalities. The early KZ's and (later the Zephyr) were very "torquey" for half litre 4's. No so much the GP's. The power was shifted up in the rpm range. Great for racing but not nearly as fun on the street as the Vision's power delivery. The Vision will gladly pull out of turns even if you've been a little lazy with your gear selection. While not terrific in fast sweepers, it is very nimble and fun to ride. When it's not broken down, ( :o) I will more than likely take that out for a ride rather than the Kawi.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: Rikugun on November 11, 2010, 09:35:57 AM
I disagree that in-line 4's are bland or monotonous - save the early GS550's.

Aw, now, my newest baby resembles that remark.  ;)

A 1978 GS550 is the latest (albeit oldest) addition to my stable and, for now, my favorite.   Ridden as a commuter at, say, below 6000 rpm, it is smooth, quiet, feels light (for a 4-cyl), very stable on the highway but easy to flick, whether around town or on tight, technical twisties (not as easy as the Vision, but my XZ550 is laid up at the moment awaiting its rear-brake-rod-bolt transplant).  And if you crank it over 6000 rpm, a whole different beast appears - it's no liter-bike killer by any means, but in its day, it outperformed all the other 550's.

QuoteI had the opportunity to ride many different bikes from the Vision's era. Being a fan of bikes in general, to me they all had something to offer from the lowliest single to the CBX or KZ1300 six cylinders.

Now that's more like it, Rikugun.   There's a ride out there for everybody.   Ride your own ride.   Nothing wrong with a little bench racing and comparative analysis though.

QuoteIf I had the resources, my stable of bikes would be varied and deep.

Woo hoo!   Agreed... ;D

I'm trying my hardest to fulfill that vision, personally... ::)

QuoteUnfortunately, that's not the case but I do have an '82 GPz550 and the Vision. Same year and displacement but very different personalities. The early KZ's and (later the Zephyr) were very "torquey" for half litre 4's. No so much the GP's. The power was shifted up in the rpm range. Great for racing but not nearly as fun on the street as the Vision's power delivery. The Vision will gladly pull out of turns even if you've been a little lazy with your gear selection. While not terrific in fast sweepers, it is very nimble and fun to ride. When it's not broken down, ( :o) I will more than likely take that out for a ride rather than the Kawi.

Great comparison-test report, sir.   I test-rode a couple of '82 and '83 GPz550's when I first started looking to expand my one-bike stable (the Guzzi was my first re-entry bike, in 2006) and adding more variety, although focus on mid-size streetbikes still seems to be a "sweet spot" for me as to all 5 of them I have so far.   I had also owned a 1971 CB500 four back in the day, and (even accounting for age-dimmed, rose-colored memory glasses) I found it hard to believe the Kawi 550s I rode in 2008 had even more displacement and horsepressure than the old Honda midsize 4 - it sure didn't feel like it.   Maybe the GPz's I rode were wheezy and out of tune, but it felt like I had to crank their throttles way up to get any response at all, at low or mid revs.   Not what I consider tractable in a daily rider.   Sweet handling bike though, and I still might add one someday... ;)
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision US
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja

kev10104

My vision is my first bike but I do look and wonder about other bikes.When I go riding with the crew here I absolutely love riding with my vision.Or anytime I go out for that matter.I don't know any different and that is probably what has my curiosity up about other bikes but also offers contentment from my vision.The vision was the first bike I looked at and I snatched it up right away.And because of that I have met some of the best people this world has to offer.How could you ask for anymore?

johnclemens

"Seems like a Wee Strom 650 would be the modern day equivalent of the XZ55, you guys ever try one?"

I rode one to South America a couple of years ago. Check out my trip here if you want www.motobrothers.com

I still own it. I have a 650 and a 1000 V-strom right now. I believe the 650 to be the best all round bike I have ever owned. Put a light shaft drive on it and it would be awesome. If you ride alone and want to do gravel the 650 is the one. If you ride two up all the time the 1000 is a better bike.

I like NWrider have owned every engine configuration at some point.
I right now have a single SR500, multiple twins Vision,Ducati,CX650E, 2 V-stroms and a 4 cyl FJR1300. Plus my dirt bikes. They all have they're charm but I'll take a big twin any day!

Raj1988

I spend good amount of time checking out your website earlier this year while i was bored in class and dreaming of my next big ride. I never made the connection  to you..

NICE!